Dell P2414H 24" Monitor Thread

Soldato
My previous monitor was a BenQ EW2420 which had no blacklight bleed/uniformity issues so this is a bit annoying. Hopefully more people will buy these monitors soon. Thought I had a good deal at getting mine for £152 but £156 for the 24" is a bargain

I've just read this.
Can I ask how you found going from a the VA Benq to the IPS DELL?

Associate
sunama: Just in case you didn't notice I'll warn you that crazy8s didn't buy the P2414H, he bought a different Dell that uses a different panel so the experience isn't the same. The P2414H is the very positively reviewed model, not seen much about the P2314H. If you already knew that then apologies!
Edit: Not saying the P2314H is rubbish, just not really seen reviews :(

Also... the P2414H now available for sub-£150 in some places! :o

Last edited:

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with mine! It's my first IPS panel and my first 24 incher! The IPS glow has taken a little while to get used to, but I don't find it particularly distracting.

Last edited:
Associate
Just taken delivery of a P2414H - truly epic levels of backlight bleed in the bottom left-hand corner, also right up the left-hand side up to about 1.5 cm in from the edge. This is *not* IPS "white glow," it's the same from whatever angle you look at it, and there's no such problem on the right-hand side when viewed straight on/dead centre. There are also significant issues along the top edge, on the right-hand side.

If it were just a problem with an all-black screen in a darkened room, I could probably live with it, but it's clearly visible even on the blue OcUK forum in daylight, with the backlight turned down to <30%. :(

Just another datapoint if anyone's interested...

Soldato
Just taken delivery of a P2414H - truly epic levels of backlight bleed in the bottom left-hand corner, also right up the left-hand side up to about 1.5 cm in from the edge. This is *not* IPS "white glow," it's the same from whatever angle you look at it, and there's no such problem on the right-hand side when viewed straight on/dead centre. There are also significant issues along the top edge, on the right-hand side.

If it were just a problem with an all-black screen in a darkened room, I could probably live with it, but it's clearly visible even on the blue OcUK forum in daylight, with the backlight turned down to <30%. :(

Just another datapoint if anyone's interested...

It happens, unfortunately. With every model there are some lemons. Get that RMA-ed as above.

Soldato
I think it's all just about your level of tolerance really.

I've been through so many monitors because of backlight bleed and I've now learned that no monitor is perfect, just some are worse than others.

I have now settled on the Dell p2414h, the first unit I had had rather bad bleed around all of the edges so I got it exchanged.

The replacement is a bit better, overall tolerable. Just have to get used to it. There is still the expected IPS glow in the bottom corners.

Soldato
Oh yes, that's all in hand... I was really just adding a "me too" to the previous reported problems.

I know it will always be pot luck to some extent, but it does seem backlight bleed in the bottom-left corner is far more common with this particular model than it ought to be.

Pick your poison. With most comparable models far more extensive uniformity issues are present, including backlight bleed towards the edges and several corners of the screen. That sort of things can also occur on the P2414H of course, but it seems less common and it's usually that bottom left corner that can be problematic. It's not always, though, and uniformity elsewhere tends to be far better than on the other models. It's worth trying again, as you are doing.

Soldato
So if you think something is originally backlight bleed but it moves when you rotate the monitor, does this mean it's IPS glow?

Soldato
So if you think something is originally backlight bleed but it moves when you rotate the monitor, does this mean it's IPS glow?

It can do. Move 2m back from the screen, keeping your head as central as possible. On a monitor of this size only backlight bleed would remain after doing that.

Soldato
It can do. Move 2m back from the screen, keeping your head as central as possible. On a monitor of this size only backlight bleed would remain after doing that.

That would mean that this is the 3rd P2414H that I have and it's still full of backlight bleed. :p

EDIT - Actually, it's not that bad. There is small amount in the bottom left corner and a small amount in the bottom right corner. There is also some around all edges of the monitor (which was exactly the same as the last unit).

I guess you have no choice but to tolerate it. All monitors appear to be the same! (And I've been through LOTS!)

Last edited:
Soldato
That would mean that this is the 3rd P2414H that I have and it's still full of backlight bleed. :p

EDIT - Actually, it's not that bad. There is small amount in the bottom left corner and a small amount in the bottom right corner. There is also some around all edges of the monitor (which was exactly the same as the last unit).

I guess you have no choice but to tolerate it. All monitors appear to be the same! (And I've been through LOTS!)

Yes I know you've been through lots. ;) Being tolerant is the least stressful option in this case. What brightness are you using, incidentally?

Soldato
Yes I know you've been through lots. ;) Being tolerant is the least stressful option in this case. What brightness are you using, incidentally?

I'm using the setup that was stated in your review, however if I put brightness on full along with contrast, the bleed becomes much more noticeable.

But on the settings I'm running now it really isn't that bad to be honest and knowing the other P2414H's I've had were similar aswell, just kinda makes me think it's how they're manufactured and just something to get used to. As I say, other monitor brands/models are the same aswell so you do have to just settle for it.

Associate
Just taken delivery of a U2414H and it's a thing of beauty.... but the bottom left has moderate backlight bleed :(

That one corner is bad enough to be noticeable in scene transitions etc that cut to black, I'll try a dark movie on it later.

Shame, cause other than that it's really outstanding!

Soldato
Apart from PCM2, who got a review model and was happy with his monitor, has anybody received a perfect monitor, without any backlight issues?
I am seeing a lot of complaints in this thread - more than perhaps any thread I've seen about a particular monitor.

Tom_D for instance is now on his 3rd monitor, which still has unacceptable levels of backlight bleed.

This thread isnt a good advert for this monitor.

Back
Top Bottom