Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
What settings are people currently using?? I have the A04 revision and it looks washed out compared to my U2515H. I've reduced the brightness which has helped. Is it a setting or a natural difference between tn and ips?

Associate
What settings are people currently using?? I have the A04 revision and it looks washed out compared to my U2515H. I've reduced the brightness which has helped. Is it a setting or a natural difference between tn and ips?
You may need to use an icc profile if you don't already have one. The washed out look is not really a fault of a decent tn but rather lack of calibration.

Associate
Generic question, but it's about time I gave this a proper clean, any suggested products? Thanks!

I prefer to use a high quality gel that is formulated for LCD displays. Obviously, don't soak the screen, use just enough to clean it. I use "Endust antistatic gel" screen cleaner and it leaves no streaks and cleans the screens on my many LCD devices thoroughly. Make sure to use a microfiber cloth designed for this kind of application.

Be weary of most screen cleaning gels, and always read reviews. A lot of them suck, and they leave terrible streaks.

You may need to use an icc profile if you don't already have one. The washed out look is not really a fault of a decent tn but rather lack of calibration.

This is what I did. It helped. There are ICC profiles for this monitor on reputable sites and some of them are very good. Google how to search, download, and install an ICC profile in Windows. It's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I have just bought this monitor also. It's my first leap to Gsync technology. Unfortunatly the colours are terrible. I have come from an IPS panel (a dell U2713HM) and it was far better. Is there any settings to tweak it to get as close to IPS as possible?

buy a calibrator.

pity you don't live in glasgow. i would have came and calibrated your monitor for you for £30.

i was thinking of selling this monitor and going back to IPS until i calibrated it using a proper calibration tool and software. not by using other peoples settings. using other peoples profiles and settings will never work. you could make the picture worse rather than better. people doing that have no idea how panels work.

Soldato
Agreed. If you can borrow a calibrator that would be ideal.

Every panel is different. I do all mine and it makes a massive difference and all now look pretty much the same.

Soldato
buy a calibrator.

pity you don't live in glasgow. i would have came and calibrated your monitor for you for £30.

i was thinking of selling this monitor and going back to IPS until i calibrated it using a proper calibration tool and software. not by using other peoples settings. using other peoples profiles and settings will never work. you could make the picture worse rather than better. people doing that have no idea how panels work.

Which calibrators would you recommend? I'd like a basic one to do monitors, TVs and laptops. Not necessarily professional grade calibration, but I just want to get the best out of the display rather than doing it by eye

Caporegime
Which calibrators would you recommend? I'd like a basic one to do monitors, TVs and laptops. Not necessarily professional grade calibration, but I just want to get the best out of the display rather than doing it by eye

i'm not a pro calibrator. also i believe tv's are a lot harder to do than pc screens and need to be done manually.

e.g. the colormunki display i have you attach to the pc screen run some software and it auto created the perfect profile an dthen applies it. you cannot do that with a tv.

best asking on avforums how guys on there calibrate their tv's

Man of Honour
Without a proper calibration it will never be perfect, but using other peoples settings I am very happy with mine. :)

ICC profiles can be a bit hit and miss but a large number of these Dells are close enough out the box you can take other people's OSD settings maybe tweak RGB values slightly and get very good results that for most non-professional uses are close enough as makes no real difference.

Caporegime
ICC profiles can be a bit hit and miss but a large number of these Dells are close enough out the box you can take other people's OSD settings maybe tweak RGB values slightly and get very good results that for most non-professional uses are close enough as makes no real difference.

i think it's madness people are paying up to £690 for this monitor. yet don't want to spend £100 on a calibrator to get it looking perfect.

like i said before i was thinking of selling the screen it was that bad until i got a calibrator and calibrated it properly. i copied other peoples settings and it's nowhere near the same thing.

Soldato

Exactly. For my main use as a gaming monitor, it looks perfect to me and I have no complaints for how it looks. I can't justify paying to calibrate it when I am happy with how it looks.

Man of Honour
i think it's madness people are paying up to £690 for this monitor. yet don't want to spend £100 on a calibrator to get it looking perfect.

like i said before i was thinking of selling the screen it was that bad until i got a calibrator and calibrated it properly. i copied other peoples settings and it's nowhere near the same thing.

I'm fortunate in that I have a professionally calibrated Dell U2913WM for reference - I tried a couple of the ICC profiles doing the rounds for this monitor and for my monitor they weren't even in the same ballpark.

I've not bothered with getting it dialled in 110% as my main uses are gaming and OSD settings get it good enough - for other uses I have properly calibrated displays.

Caporegime
Exactly. For my main use as a gaming monitor, it looks perfect to me and I have no complaints for how it looks. I can't justify paying to calibrate it when I am happy with how it looks.

ignorance truly is bliss when it comes to tv's and monitors. once you know what a screen is supposed to look like. it's hard to not see the flaws in anything else.

i have owned several panasonic plasmas and a samsung plasma when they were at the top for 1-2 years. so now every tv i buy has to be top spec to even come close.

owned several calibrated dell's in the past. so i know this screen when it arrived looked absolutely awful.

once you make the leap you can never look back. basically if you have never used a properly calibrated screen for a while then it's probably best you don't. because if you do then you will see the flaws in every screen thereafter that hasn't been calibrated.

it's the same with sound. once you use a high end set of music headphones like sennheiser HD650's. you will realise everything else you have used in the past was awful. or akg k702's as gaming headphones. you will realise all those tarted up rubbish from razer, turtlebeach, etc is at best worth £30 as they truly are woeful in comparison to akg's.

Soldato
i'm not a pro calibrator. also i believe tv's are a lot harder to do than pc screens and need to be done manually.

e.g. the colormunki display i have you attach to the pc screen run some software and it auto created the perfect profile an dthen applies it. you cannot do that with a tv.

best asking on avforums how guys on there calibrate their tv's

What's the point of stuff like the Spyder 5 Express etc?

Soldato

So no good for TVs not being used with a computer then - makes sense, since it cannot change any of the software in the TV.

I wonder, however, if one could change the software in the TV themselves based on calibration results. EG, it may say it needs a little more red, or blue, and the user changes it accordingly and then re runs the calibration process.

Back
Top Bottom