Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
I have just bought this monitor also. It's my first leap to Gsync technology. Unfortunatly the colours are terrible. I have come from an IPS panel (a dell U2713HM) and it was far better. Is there any settings to tweak it to get as close to IPS as possible?

Associate
I have just bought this monitor also. It's my first leap to Gsync technology. Unfortunatly the colours are terrible. I have come from an IPS panel (a dell U2713HM) and it was far better. Is there any settings to tweak it to get as close to IPS as possible?

See below if you have an Nvidia card, AMD surely must have similar controls that can be used:

in NVidia gamma 66 vibrance 70 monitor brightness 26 contrast 75 custom color 100 93 100 used icc from pc monitors mine is revision A03 may 2016

Caporegime
This is how I have it setup:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30945342

Exact R,G,B settings and/or ICC profile will differ from monitor to monitor - 100, 93, 100 gets a nice "pop" to the colours but isn't the most accurate possible but you'd have to either use a calibration tool or have enough experience to do it by eye yourself to do much better.

i just bought a colormunki display and I have to say. If you down't have a calibration tool get one now.

Monitor has gone from meh to wow. Colours are now very very good. I used DisplayCAL which is freeware as it's supposedly better than the built in software with the colormunki.

Seriously get one you won't regret it

Caporegime
see my post above and i came from a dell IPS too that was calibrated at factory

Associate
COu
i just bought a colormunki display and I have to say. If you down't have a calibration tool get one now.

Monitor has gone from meh to wow. Colours are now very very good. I used DisplayCAL which is freeware as it's supposedly better than the built in software with the colormunki.

Seriously get one you won't regret it
Could you share your settings please?

Caporegime
COu

Could you share your settings please?

I don't think you understand how panels or even calibration works.

No 2 panels are the same. A panel is made up of millions of different parts. Each part is not made to the same standard as the next. Therefore 2 monitors the exact same model could look completely different.

Therefore first of all you should never ever copy anybody else's settings. Those setting are unique to their panel. If you copy them you could end up doing more harm than good. People don't believe this for some reason but that is how it works.

Second of all. I didn't need to change a single setting on the monitor. The way my calibrator worked is. I put a sensor to the screen. it then ran a test for 30 minutes and then created the perfect profile for my monitor. The longer the test you select the more accurate it becomes. It then auto applies the profile. So it's my unique profile for my unique screen. it won't work on anybody elses as my panel won't be the same as anyone elses.

Thirdly. It also takes into account ambient lighting in my room. My room will have completely different lighting to anybody elses. So it's unique to me.

Fourthly. Panels change over time. My panel will need re-calibrating once every 3-6 months to keep it as accurate as possible. If your really anal then you can do it monthly or even weekly. So my settings will change month to month to accommodate panel usage. For example a plasma tv will lose 50% of it's brightness over 100,000 hours. So there is no such thing as a once and done approach. It constantly requires tweaking to keep it looking correct.

So the best thing you can do is just go out and buy a calibrator. Stop being tight and trying to find a short cut. It doesn't exist.

Associate
I don't think you understand how panels or even calibration works.

No 2 panels are the same. A panel is made up of millions of different parts. Each part is not made to the same standard as the next. Therefore 2 monitors the exact same model could look completely different.

Therefore first of all you should never ever copy anybody else's settings. Those setting are unique to their panel. If you copy them you could end up doing more harm than good. People don't believe this for some reason but that is how it works.

Second of all. I didn't need to change a single setting on the monitor. The way my calibrator worked is. I put a sensor to the screen. it then ran a test for 30 minutes and then created the perfect profile for my monitor. The longer the test you select the more accurate it becomes. It then auto applies the profile. So it's my unique profile for my unique screen. it won't work on anybody elses as my panel won't be the same as anyone elses.

Thirdly. It also takes into account ambient lighting in my room. My room will have completely different lighting to anybody elses. So it's unique to me.

Fourthly. Panels change over time. My panel will need re-calibrating once every 3-6 months to keep it as accurate as possible. If your really anal then you can do it monthly or even weekly. So my settings will change month to month to accommodate panel usage. For example a plasma tv will lose 50% of it's brightness over 100,000 hours. So there is no such thing as a once and done approach. It constantly requires tweaking to keep it looking correct.

So the best thing you can do is just go out and buy a calibrator. Stop being tight and trying to find a short cut. It doesn't exist.

Thank you very much for the lengthy explanation, I am not tight but very ill informed. Never calibrated monitor in my life. I was always using factory settings with "warm colours" :)
Since i bought the Dell screens I am trying to find good settings that will suit my needs. I am glad that my gf noticed difference since i swapped screens.

Caporegime
Thank you very much for the lengthy explanation, I am not tight but very ill informed. Never calibrated monitor in my life. I was always using factory settings with "warm colours" :)
Since i bought the Dell screens I am trying to find good settings that will suit my needs. I am glad that my gf noticed difference since i swapped screens.

the last bit was said in jest.

essentially the only way to get your monitor looking 100% right is to calibrate it. copying other peoples settings or profiles is like playing the lottery. you will lose more times than you win. e.g. a panel could have like 1 million transistors or electrical components in it. each one of them made to a tolerance level that when you add all those tolerance levels up 2 panels made using the exact same parts look completely different.

I hated the way my S2716DG looked. In fact I was thinking about selling it and buying an IPS. However now it's been calibrated I will keep it until it dies most likely or it needs replaced by much more modern technology.

Associate
I bought one of these on Saturday, it was discounted at £479 due to an open box. I saw it was the A01, quite an older model and I suspected someone had already bought and returned it due to a defect, but I took a chance as I knew it was still under warranty. After setting it up I realised there was a minor defect, a small bright spot that was really only noticeable on white backgrounds. At nearly £500 it needed to be perfect, so I contacted Dell who have been excellent and sent a replacement out the next day. Just set it up now, Rev A05 and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Man of Honour
Fourthly. Panels change over time. My panel will need re-calibrating once every 3-6 months to keep it as accurate as possible.

Depends hugely from panel to panel - my factory calibrated U2913WM hasn't changed at all or if it has its insignificant while my original Asus ROG Swift monitor that uses the same panel as the S2716DG changed quite a bit over the first 4-5 months with the red balance especially and likewise this Dell S2716DG has "settled" a bit in the months since I bought it - one of the reasons I didn't rush to calibrate it properly like I have some past monitors as I suspected it would happen with my experience with mine and other's of the Asus monitor with this panel.

Soldato
I bought my Dell S2716G on december 2015 and it has a dead pixel in the lower left corner do you think i could get it replaced ?

If so what is the best method of contact and what details do i need to provide ?

Associate
I bought one of these on Saturday, it was discounted at £479 due to an open box. I saw it was the A01, quite an older model and I suspected someone had already bought and returned it due to a defect, but I took a chance as I knew it was still under warranty. After setting it up I realised there was a minor defect, a small bright spot that was really only noticeable on white backgrounds. At nearly £500 it needed to be perfect, so I contacted Dell who have been excellent and sent a replacement out the next day. Just set it up now, Rev A05 and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
I got B grade from Ocuk for £300~ and Dell extended the warranty until 2020. Their service is superb.

I bought my Dell S2716G on december 2015 and it has a dead pixel in the lower left corner do you think i could get it replaced ?

If so what is the best method of contact and what details do i need to provide ?

Go on their website and speak with one of the advisers either through online chat or phone. Give them service tag from the back of the monitor and see what they can do.

Man of Honour
Finally bit the bullet and got one of these for a cracking price (£443 after cashback) and it arrived yesterday. It's a A04 revision and has no dead/stuck pixels and no backlight bleed. The settings out of the box are abysmal and the brightness actually made it painful to look at. Once I had fiddled with the settings it's much better but it's not quite there yet so a bit of tweaking of the gamma in the Nvidia control panel is needed. It's a big step up from my old 27.5" HannsG 1920x1200 in terms of resolution and picture quality. I just need to get used to the smaller writing on screen now and the shorter format (16.9 compared to my old ones 16.10). Had a couple of hours gaming last night and 144Hz and Gsync is awesome, so smooth. I am well pleased with this monitor.

Associate
Finally bit the bullet and got one of these for a cracking price (£443 after cashback) and it arrived yesterday. It's a A04 revision and has no dead/stuck pixels and no backlight bleed. The settings out of the box are abysmal and the brightness actually made it painful to look at. Once I had fiddled with the settings it's much better but it's not quite there yet so a bit of tweaking of the gamma in the Nvidia control panel is needed. It's a big step up from my old 27.5" HannsG 1920x1200 in terms of resolution and picture quality. I just need to get used to the smaller writing on screen now and the shorter format (16.9 compared to my old ones 16.10). Had a couple of hours gaming last night and 144Hz and Gsync is awesome, so smooth. I am well pleased with this monitor.

Yeah I didn't think that 144hz would make any difference but i was very surprised how quickly you can change your mind.

Back
Top Bottom