Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Got my monitor today, and I'm really pleased. I was a little worried, coming from an IPS monitor. However, I was even more worried about the variable quality of the g-sync IPS panels and all the QC issues with Acer and Asus. To be honest, the Dell's colors were pretty ugly at first, but they improved after it warmed up a bit. After some calibration with my cheapo Colormunki Smile, it looks fantastic. I don't claim to be an expert, but it's easily the best TN panel I've ever seen.

The panel has no dead/stuck pixels and seems very uniform. Some people complain about the AG coating but you have to be sitting really close and looking at a bright background to notice it at all. I quickly put it through its paces in Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4. The image is buttery smooth and I have yet to notice any pixel inversion. Viewing angles and color **** actually seems fairly minimal, and certainly doesn't bother me when sitting in front of it. And in terms of build quality, it's pretty solid and you gotta like the thin bezels.

So yeah, I'm a happy camper.

Soldato
Having used the Dell now for 1-2 weeks im overall pleased but i do see a white/black trail but its only noticable to me at desktop when moving windows arounds and not in games. At this point ive gotten so use to it that i dont see it unless i go looking for it but its there for sure and easy to spot if you want to.

Colors actually impressed me cause i was expecting rubish but they are pretty darn good when you take in to consideration that its a TN and if you calibrate it.

The design of the monitor has me soft in my knees. I love the way it looks, so clean and no fluff. Very industrial and to the point.. Love it.

Havent regrettet my purchase of this monitor like i did with the Acer XB270HU. It really does impress even if you come from an IPS panel as long as you dont expect the same level of color accuracy.

Soldato
Having used the Dell now for 1-2 weeks im overall pleased but i do see a white/black trail but its only noticable to me at desktop when moving windows arounds and not in games. At this point ive gotten so use to it that i dont see it unless i go looking for it but its there for sure and easy to spot if you want to.

I noticed this for the first time on one of my panels last night, switching it back to Normal mode from Fast under response time cured it slightly but it is still there. How odd.

Another issue with said panel is light grey's appear to have a green tint to them no matter how many times I re-calibrate it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi mate,

Thanks for this. What are your settings on the monitor OSD to go along with this? :)

Should be in the settings file in the Google Drive link

@Twirlywoos - Did you ever manage to get help you needed to get's higher contrast ratios and lower black luminance whilst retaining 6500k whitepoint and gamma 2.2 ?

I did ask him what he did and I guess he just has better panel uniformity because we literally have the same workflow but get there differently. I replicated his steps and they were no different to what I do manually.

Associate
Limited use, and haven't played with any settings so far, but when I get a few hours without kids climbing all over me I will do.

Early impressions are very good though, I'm really pleased with it so far.

Associate
Had one of these for a couple of weeks now. Have used the profile and settings posted here, thank you Twirlywoos for that.

I like this monitor. Once set up correctly, it's rather nice. Setting the gamma to + 0.70 in Nvidia control panel made a massive difference, as this monitor has way too much gamma out of the box and you can't adjust it on the device itself.

But once adjusted, this is nice hardware.

Associate
Twirlywoos thanks for the profile, this thing rocks, my FPS in Rise of the Tomb Raider has gone up with the same settings!
Or not the resolution had altered itself to 1080 Doh!

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed this for the first time on one of my panels last night, switching it back to Normal mode from Fast under response time cured it slightly but it is still there. How odd.

Another issue with said panel is light grey's appear to have a green tint to them no matter how many times I re-calibrate it.

The thing about this trail/overdrive issue is that im pretty sure i didnt have that issue before i tried the fast response option.. Now when going back to normal its still there.. I dont even understand why you would run fast considering how bad it looks. Ive tried factory reset the screen but nothing helps. I could ofcourse be remembering wrong.

Soldato
Going to pull the trigger on one of these for sure I reckon, Dad can have my 24" Ultrasharp 1200p IPS save me the hassle of trying to sell and ship it.

It will be my only screen, what is it like for things other than gaming? I'm thinking films specifically, but just general use?

Soldato
Even if it DID have an EU plug, that's a doddle to change. I've done that before on appliances. How is your monitor hyperseven? All good?

Cutting the moulded plug off something is a sure fire way to void any warranty, regardless of whether chopping it off has caused any issue or not.

Best thing to do is keep the EU lead just in case and just use a UK kettle lead instead.

Back
Top Bottom