DELL S2719DGF Owners Thread

Associate
@Davanius it sounds like your unit tracks 2.2 gamma closer than others, including mine, as his ICC profile was designed to correct panels targetting 1.9

I am using the Standard preset. RTS preset appears to add halo's around fonts which I found distracting. I have ran the windows display calibrator and have adjusted the gamma as such that the dots in the middle aren't visible. I have made no other picture changes.
I am happy with how it looks, though i did discover while I had my AOC IPS hooked up too, that it was targetting 2.3-2.4, making things look richer (and darker) than it should.

To be honest, I am not sure if the monitor not tracking 2.2 out of the box is a fault, and if having to correct it with ICC profiles is acceptable, especially when other users are getting panels that are more accurate out of the box, and don't need any software correction.
But from looking at reviews, reddit etc it seems that there are more panels tracking 1.9 than there are 2.2.
I also think that a lot of them are more under 2.2 than not. But I hope that it's easy to rectify for those who are bothered by it.

I do notice a slight sharpening affect using the RTS mode when looking at these coloured rings on my desktop picture but I don't see it on text. I have asked others to look at it as well and they don't notice it so it might be down to the individual's eyes on how much it bothers you.

Using standard preset the text looks slightly soft to me but that could also be down to the fact that I was using a VA before this which isn't the best for text.

Please let us know your feelings in regards to the gaming performance once you have settled with the settings and what GPU you are using.

I am going to connect the Dell to another PC with an AMD card in it later. I do notice the difference between AMD and Nvidia when it comes to colour.

Soldato
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

My monitor out of the box looked really washed out. I am not sure how anyone can live with colours as muted and dull as they do on an S2719DGF with gamma tracking 1.9.

I could certainly not use it in out of the box settings. Did the gamma test after tweaking (rts would have been on) and its certainly seems ok at least with non-default settings.

No idea what it looks like on default.

I had a few minors issues, halo/ slight shadow round fonts was one of them.

DP cable I had was one I bought for my old Dell, it did not work properly with it, was just using the mini display port the Dell came with.

Seemed to be working ok with this one and i did not have a spare. Just plugged in a replacement 20 min ago.

Relief, was getting a few issues in a couple of games. lines and artifacts, suspected it was the cable, seems that was the case.

I am going to have to re-tweak the colour settings they have altered slightly.

Not sure if my eyes have adjust to the difference or it was the D.P cable but a shadow/ halo round fonts, particularly with file folders.
Cant see it anymore.

May do nothing but I would suggest swapping out the cable if you are using D.P. (you may have already done this).

Associate
I made sure to buy a quality Accell display port cable a few years ago. Been using it ever since and don't bother with bundled cables whatsoever.

It may have been an Asus or Samsung monitor that didn't play nice with the bundled cable.

Soldato
I made sure to buy a quality Accell display port cable a few years ago. Been using it ever since and don't bother with bundled cables whatsoever.

It may have been an Asus or Samsung monitor that didn't play nice with the bundled cable.

Was not a bundled one, cheap one, bought it as a back up for the dell (edit. older I.P.S ultrasharp), but it did not work well.

Not tested fully but I can see the difference typing this. I thought the slightly displeasing text was a t.n thing rather than a d.p. thing.

Odd most games were running fine but noticed a few issues in a couple and some other things was putting down to the 'inferior' nature of t.n. One is now running fine and its also notable slightly faster and smoother, still need to test the other.

Resolved more issues than I thought. I was blaming some things on the obvious evils of t.n. (I.P.S owner habits die hard).

Edit. not resolved everything, have to run two titles in widowed mode, but its sorted the issue where I could not make software adjustments (thin almost imperceptible vertical lines/ artifacts). Text is also notable sharper.

Last edited:
Associate
@Davanius I can't see how anyone could be happy with the way this monitor (at least mine, with low gamma out of the box) could be happy with it unless they don't know any better! Without adjusting gamme everything looks washed out. RTS improves it a little but there is a sharpening filter applied which can't be disabled.
I am very happy with gaming performance using this monitor. The pixel response of the panel certainly makes better use out of higher frame rates than a high refresh VA panel. Fast motion looks...fast, with little if any noticeable blur, whereas the VA panels I tried did look faster than 60Hz IPS but there was always a little blur.

@efish I am using a DP cable I got from the rain forest a while ago, it is a lot more substantial than in box cables, and appears to have no issues supporting 1440p155. I am very surprised that you had to adjust colour settings after changing your cable!

I have requested an exchange with the rain forest which I should be receiving Tuesday, as I am interested to see if the necessity to correct gamma using software is a common occurrence or not.

My unit is Sept 2018 A00...It would be interesting to see what build dates/revisions other users have!

Soldato
@Davanius
@efish I am very surprised that you had to adjust colour settings after changing your cable!

I actually just had to change the o.s.d setting:o Fiddling with it last night had it in a setting I was not use to. Well spotted! I should have edited the post.

D.P's resolved the issues in one game, also more responsive, issue with text I did not know I had has also been resolved. Having to make sure I run a couple of titles in borderless rather than full screen so not fully gone.

For some reason altering the windowed mode also alters some of the over sharpness of RTS I find. But then my monitor seems to have its own particular faults that require some software adjustment.

Soldato
I actually just had to change the o.s.d setting:o Fiddling with it last night had it in a setting I was not use to. Well spotted! I should have edited the post (edit I did have to change brightness but the panel is displaying things slightly differently so tweaking more is understandable).

D.P's resolved the issues in one game, also more responsive, issue with text I did not know I had has also been resolved. Having to make sure I run a couple of titles in borderless rather than full screen so not fully gone.

For some reason altering the windowed mode also alters some of the over sharpness of RTS I find. But then my monitor seems to have its own particular faults that require some software adjustment.

edit. I ran it in default for the first time since I got the monitor. I thought it was slightly washed out at this setting when I got it. Now looks fine on default, not tested gamma, but my last monitor had a good colour accuracy, this one is not the same but no significant notable issues.

Can't say I noticed much difference between r.t.s on or off now colour wise, difference at first seemed more significant.

At first I also found R.T.S sharpening was unpleasant (DP cable was adding to blur/ sharpening issues), seem to have got use to that as well now find it preferable.

I think one thing that takes a bit of adjustment is not just a difference in colour but the lack of I.P.S glow, you get use to the negative as much as the positive of I.P.S and have to adjust.

Associate
I spent rest of today testing the Dell with another PC that has a RX 580 in it. The first thing I noticed was how bad the text was and this was due to the Cleartype settings the other PC was using.

After sorting that out I was happy to see a slight image improvement with the AMD card but only just. Colour is just a tad better on AMD cards to my eyes but some say that AMD has more image enhancements going on than Nvidia such as dithering but I don't know. Most people probably wouldn't notice imo.

I noticed a little stuttering and jitter going on while using Freesync in The Division 2 beta, but that was just in my testing. I hope that Freesync works properly this time as the first game had problems. The other games had really nice performance and I really like that this Dell can play nice at lower frames without serious ghosting issues unlike the Samsung VA that I had.

Soldato
Just to note, I've tested many monitors using both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. The only real difference, provided the colour signal is correct on both, is that the AMD GPU tends to output a somewhat lower colour temperature (warmer) by default. Gamma does not shift and overall colour output is largely similar. Although there are some minor shade representation differences which can go in favour of either GPU depending on the monitor model, but no dramatic colour value differences once colour temperature is corrected.

Associate
Got this monitor yesterday it's great loving the freesync. Played metro exodus and it's smooth.

Only one issue I have is that my Vega 56 is constantly at 1.1v at 144hz even on idle, when I change it to 60hz it drops back to 900mv. At 144hz my undervolts are not working either it's staying at 1.1v which is making the card hotter than I'd like.

Didn't have this problem on gtx 980 + 120hz

Associate
"Look at the image below, and take a few steps back from your monitor such that you don't see the individual pixels or squint your eyes. In each of the vertical color bars, the lighter and darker bands should blend in at the height labeled "2.2", which is the gamma setting. Actually, for a true sRGB display, the bands should blend in at 2.25 (48%), 2.20 (25%), and 2.17 (10%)."

"The four bars at the left are the most important ones to get right. They represent a luminance that is 48% of the maximum. When the 48% setting is correct, you may wish to fiddle with other settings to get the bars for 25% and 10% to blend in at the 2.2 reading."

So, roll back in your chair so that you're not seeing the pixels or the individual lines so clearly. The middle of where it appears to blend in is your gamma level. I saved the image and open it with an image viewer. I also ensure that the gamma bars are in the middle of the screen.
This of course means that being a TN, gamma will appear higher at the top of the screen and lower at the bottom, and will move if you adjust your head height.

Out of the box, 48% shows as 1.8, 25% 1.9 and 10% 2.0.
Using pcmonitors settings increases each of these by 0.1.
Adjusting the gamma using windows display calibration pulls the 48% channels (except blue) to 2.2. The 25% and 10% channels also come closer to 2.2. I have seen very subtle banding with the gamma adjusted, but I need to look for it.

Associate
According to the lagom test the channels blend at 2.2 with exception to the red which is at 2.1 on my unit. That's on standard preset without any ICC.

Associate
According to the lagom test the channels blend at 2.2 with exception to the red which is at 2.1 on my unit. That's on standard preset without any ICC.

Which explains why pcmonitors icc profile on your panel caused the colours to look too rich/dark, as it was probably pulling gamma up to 2.4 or higher! Are you using an AMD or Nvidia card? HDMI or DP?
Manufacture date and revision too? :D

Soldato
I don't see the point of bothering unless you notice an issue that can't be resolved by eye. Open the curtains in the morning, turn the light of at night to game, its going to alter how you perceive gamma settings.

I mostly game at night in very low light, so adjust, in and for those conditions. Altering contrast brightness seems to be enough, the default gamma setting would be intended for a normal bright living room or office I would suspect.

But it does not seem broke so I don't feel the urge to fix it.

The 'correct' setting and level depends on the situation and light environment you're eyeballs find themselves in, so that's going to be slightly different for everyone.

Associate
I am using an EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra and a decent displayport cable made by Accell.
Manufacture date is same as yours I think September 2018 and revision A00.

I got a very good unit for once on the first try. Beautiful. :D

Soldato
How is the screen finish on this? Ive heard that it has a semi-gloss matte finish?

I really dislike the 3H hard matte surface from older Dell monitors I have used because it makes the image look too hazy and less sharp.

I'm fine with semi-gloss matte finish because it doesn't suffer from these issues as much. My preference though still is the Samsung glossy coating as seen on their TVs and their Samsung S27a950d monitor (which I used to use) but there are no monitors like those anymore.

Back
Top Bottom