DELL S2719DGF Owners Thread

Associate
@efish not seen vertical lines (scan lines/pixel inversion?)...yet! I am using pcmonitors icc file and am testing @Michael Marini's colour settings, though I am not noticing a huge difference from the pcmonitors settings I had. I am happy with the picture, as long as I don't look at my IPS ;)

Not sure how useful screenshots are when it comes to calibrating your panel, hah!

@beerglass007 are you placing the lagom test so that the 2.2 point is in the middle of the display? If it is higher up, gamma will appear lower, lower down, higher. As PCM2 said earlier, it is probably best to ignore the gamma calibration on the site due to changes in perceived gamma based on where your eyes are in relation to the screen, and where on the screen the calibration chart is.
The windows display calibration tool when maximised as it does by default, places the test right in the middle of the screen. It's a much smaller target than the lagom test which probably means you'll be able to make that point of the screen more accurate. If you sit at your desk as you would normally, and adjust the slider so that the dot appears the least, then that will ensure that gamma in the middle of the screen is correct in that seating position. Higher up the screen, gamma lower, lower down the screen, gamma higher.

Soldato
Not useful viewing on a different monitor or viewing the images later . A.A.O freezes the game when you take them and you can scan around get more of an in-game view, it's useful.

I took some as well with my camera. Can't say it was useful or helpful but as an experiment it turned out interesting if somewhat perplexing.

The images above where the scan lines are masked, my camera does not see it like that:confused:. Very very visible vertical lines in the image:eek:.
Take a picture where the scan lines are very visible to my eye, it looks far less so in the images my camera takes :confused:. Its processor works very differently from my own ;).

Not helpful with calibrating and somewhat surprising, but interesting to see what the 'brain' of you're camera is doing.'
Presumable it can alter the image as it processes it in certain situations but not in others. Monitor I suspect does the same thing. My own brain will do the same, although clearly not in the same way, which would appear to be the issue.

Associate
@efish. Some people who have had scan lines on other monitors have solved it by separating the power cable from the display cable as far as possible and others have plugged the PC and monitor into different outlets.

Maybe worth a try if it is scan lines. It could be just the game or the drivers if it's only that title.

Soldato
@efish. Some people who have had scan lines on other monitors have solved it by separating the power cable from the display cable as far as possible and others have plugged the PC and monitor into different outlets.

Maybe worth a try if it is scan lines. It could be just the game or the drivers if it's only that title.

Give that a try. It seems to be a mix of things and it only occurs in three titles most run perfectly.

Changing the D.P cable resolved the issue in one title and switching from full screen to borderless and using RTS sorted the other two.

Dell recommend trying a factory reset, give that a go as well.

edit. Clear sky's in Assassins Creed Origin! Don't have time to test further but I can confirm moving the d.p cable away from the power cable works.

Even if you do not have the issue some preventative cable management may not be a bad idea.

Nice one Davanius!

Last edited:
Soldato
Few pieces of strategically placed gaffa tape, old school solution. I like it.

Soon I will have a A.M.D processor I suspect, hopefully an A.M.D card at some point, and a T.N. monitor. Very old school, been using Intel/ Nividia/ I.P.S for a while now.

Issues gone in all titles, can run in full screen mode, it also seemed to have caused the image to have slight mix of being both over-sharp and slightly blurred with distant detail.

Pin sharp and rather awesome looking now.

I am a happy bunny :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Received mine today. As expected, gamma was about 1.9. Used Profile mentioned before, few adjusts and voilà. Fantastic monitor.
None of the fragmenting effect in dark scene transitions present in both UHD TVs used before, and both IPS LG UHD and VA iiyama UHD.
Agreed, to obtain a picture every bit as good as any other monitor it ain't hard work. Two minutes of your time...

Associate
Second unit arrived, Nov 18 A01.
Gamma is a little higher than the other, but still not as high as Davanius' unit sounds! Neglible difference tbh.

But, the new one has backlight bleed along the top and bottom edges, visible in a lit room when viewing letterboxed content, and the left of the screen appears darker than the right when viewing white backgrounds, like on YouTube.
Keeping the first one...! ;)

This thing with the power cable being near the DP cable is interesting! I'm passing my cables through the hole in the stand... :o But I've not noticed scanlines so I'll not worry for now :)

Does anyone else have trouble unplugging DP cables from the back of monitors with vertically mounted sockets?! It's really unnerving trying to press on the button on the connector while pulling the connector!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hear about the second unit but al least you tried another one. Backlight bleed is the one thing I can't stand.

So they have a new revision already? I wonder what the differences are.

I do dislike vertical displayport inputs for that reason but at least I can get the monitor a bit closer to the wall with them. :)

Associate
I imagine every S2719DGF will have some subtle backlight uniformity issues when displaying all black in a dark room.
My first one has a horizontal strip in the top middle, but I can't see it unless I do the above. In light where the bleed on No.2 was clearly visible, No.1 looked just black all over.

I couldn't see any difference at all externally. It was also running the same firmware version. It also displayed out of the box very similarly to No.1, showing that there is genuinely a "gamma lottery" with these things, as they were built two months apart!
But, as I got happier with No.1 after I'd started the exchange process and having No.2 sent to me, I will probably keep No.1 as besides having to correct gamma in Windows with an icc profile, I can't really find fault with it.

The only thing I need to get used to is the vertical gamma shift! The blue of efish's post above looks darker than the blue of your post!
But on the flip side, the panel can refresh at 155Hz and display very little pixel response artifacts that you'll see on other panel tech, and no glow!

Associate
My unit is pretty decent when it comes to displaying black in a dark room.
2019-03-06%2010.50.52_zpsxmcdpudh.jpg
I am using a phone so please excuse the quality. The camera exaggerates the light so I can't see the lighter patches by eye. This is at 20 percent which is my usual setting.
I can't get the room any darker at the moment and the slight brightening on the right is due to my curtain leaking a little light as it's on the right side not far from the monitor.

This one is at 100 percent.
2019-03-06%2010.53.00_zpsqspdn4rs.jpg

I don't have my Samsung CHG70 any more but even though it was a VA it had awful uniformity and light patches all over the place. The Dell is much better.

Last edited:
Soldato
My monitor is now decent all round. Now I can tweak for image quality rather than masking scan lines, should have it as I like it soon enough.

No idea how everyone is spotting the gamma issue by eye so fast. I don't find calibrating for games difficult but it does take a few weeks of minor tweaking to get the sweet spot between brightness and contrast.

I must have the eyes of peasant rather than the eagle eyes and super computer processing capacity of everyone else here;).

Took me a night of playing games and switching profiles to work out, which monitor profile worked best, the default dell one, or the pc monitors gamma corrected one.

Also now using the standard setting which looked god awful when I first used it as I was so use to the glare of an I.P.S screen and it made the scan lines worse.

No way I would decide at the moment if I have a gamma issue or not, will take sometime as I am just not use to the new monitor yet and still adjusting to it.

Fortunately that time will be spent playing games and the monitor does not look awful with either profile and things will work themselves out over time with a bit of tweaking.

So far the default Dell profile works best for me in dark conditions.

Associate
Are you still playing around with the RTS mode efish?

I was playing Rainbow Six Siege last night for the first time in a long time and found the colours a bit rich.
I changed it to standard and forgot about it once I was engrossed in gameplay and fun.

Looks like I will be changing modes depending on the games but there is nothing wrong with that. :D

Soldato
Are you still playing around with the RTS mode efish?

I was playing Rainbow Six Siege last night for the first time in a long time and found the colours a bit rich.
I changed it to standard and forgot about it once I was engrossed in gameplay and fun.

Looks like I will be changing modes depending on the games but there is nothing wrong with that. :D

No RTS helped to mask scan lines but don't need that now! It also made the screen look more like the Dell ultrasharp I had in games at first; standard also looked washed out at first, but now preferring it in at least the one title I have used it in.

Use standard o.s.d setting to get the contrast and brightness level where I want it. Use both profiles in standard for a while adjusting to get the sweet spot with brightness/ contrast in both see what one looks best.

Avoid the other O.S.D settings until things are as I want in standard with gamma, contrast and brightness.

The first adjustments I made were to mask the lines and to try and get it to look as close as possible to my old I.P.S monitor and my old habits and preferences. Rather than using the settings to get the best out of this monitor.

Associate
My unit is pretty decent when it comes to displaying black in a dark room.
Yours looks very similar to mine, horizontal bright band.

I don't have my Samsung CHG70 any more but even though it was a VA it had awful uniformity and light patches all over the place. The Dell is much better.
On the flip side, all three VA LG 32GK850F's I had, had black uniformity so good I couldn't believe it, no patches of brighter light to be seen anywhere. The edges of the image appeared to disappear when viewing at extreme angles, I think the edges are curved somewhat to prevent light leaking around the edges. I do wonder if LG do the same with their IPS panels.

You can even configure some of the OSD buttons are shortcuts so you don't even have to browse the menu to switch! I've not tried RTS in game yet, but text on the desktop looks oversharp due to the filter that is applied by that profile so I've not really explored it yet.

Associate
You can even configure some of the OSD buttons are shortcuts so you don't even have to browse the menu to switch! I've not tried RTS in game yet, but text on the desktop looks oversharp due to the filter that is applied by that profile so I've not really explored it yet.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realise how customizable that feature was. I have now set it up nicely.

Cheers! :)

Associate
I've set the third button across to enable the FPS counter. Handy as occasionally I've found that G-Sync doesn't activate in some games, usually adjusting the refresh in game sorts this though! :) Or it could be all the plugging and unplugging of monitors, who knows! ;)

Associate
It appears to affect the darker end of the colours. I increased them and it washed out the colour but when I lowered them it gave a darker look like the gamma changed.

Give it a try by choosing custom and changing the offset equality.

Back
Top Bottom