DELL S2719DGF Owners Thread

Associate
I don't see the point of bothering unless you notice an issue that can't be resolved by eye. Open the curtains in the morning, turn the light of at night to game, its going to alter how you perceive gamma settings.

I mostly game at night in very low light, so adjust, in and for those conditions. Altering contrast brightness seems to be enough, the default gamma setting would be intended for a normal bright living room or office I would suspect.

But it does not seem broke so I don't feel the urge to fix it.

The 'correct' setting and level depends on the situation and light environment you're eyeballs find themselves in, so that's going to be slightly different for everyone.

Opening the curtains or changing the artificial lighting isn't going to do a great deal to change how gamma is perceived.
Mine and a lot of other S2719DGF's are displaying low gamma out of the box, and if these users are set up correctly, with eyes level with the top third of the display, the perceived gamma at the bottom will be even lower.

Without making changes to gamma in Windows, I find it much harder to read text on a white background at the bottom of the screen. For example a reddit post with light blue text for the persons username. At the bottom of the screen, this light blue text looks so light against a white background that it becomes hard to read.
Like me, you've had a whole bunch of different IPS monitors over the years before buying this TN gaming monitor. I can't see how you can say that out of the box, the gamma is acceptable, it looks too bright and washed out. On my unit, on out of the box settings, none of the brightness levels from 244 to 254 are visible on the lagom white saturation test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php without moving my head lower.

Fortunately this is correctable with Windows display calibration, but I have another unit on the way to try/compare anyway. It certainly sounds like @Davanius has a unit with "better" gamma tracking out of the box, not requiring any software changes to correct. The profile that is installed with the monitor driver does very little to lift the gamma level on my unit.

Associate
I had a look at the windows calibration settings and it was set correctly. Any movement on the slider would show the circles in the middle giving the wrong gamma so I left it alone.

Just looking at the white test page on the lagom site link above I can see all the boxes up to 254 without moving my head. I have the monitor just above eye level with a tilt upwards from the bottom.

It make you wonder how the S2716DG was so popular considering the gamma issues. The S2719DGF is improved so I hope it becomes just as popular. That monitor sold bucket loads while having a lot of complaints about the washed out image. A lot of people changed the settings in the Nvidia control panel which I wouldn't have done myself.

Here are some pictures which don't do it justice by the way. Sorry for the rubbish quality.
2019-03-04%2011.06.03_zpsqfxjelic.jpg
2019-03-04%2011.26.38_zpswklzaryl.jpg
2019-03-04%2011.49.19_zps2uigjuh4.jpg
2019-03-04%2011.52.19_zpsdfwpm2pn.jpg
2019-03-04%2012.29.14_zpsccn0nftj.jpg
2019-03-04%2012.33.00_zpso0uieytm.jpg

Associate
I have to pull the slider to maybe 25% position, default being 50% to raise gamma to an acceptable level, making the circles in the middle hard to discern.
I will investigate tilting the monitor up from the bottom. My monitor is almost at the highest height, and while looking at the monitor I can see the top edge if I look at the top of the screen without moving my head, if that gives an idea of the level of my eyes vs the screen.

I did look at the S2716DG prior to purchasing this, as it is technically its predecessor, and it appeared to have terrible issues with gamma and banding. I am not seeing any banding on my S2719DGF unless I go looking for it, in things like that Star Wars trailer, though that could be YouTube compression!
It is obvious that a lot of S2719DGF's have issues with gamma, too, but at least it is correctable with Windows display calibrator without causing banding.

Kinda jealous of your unit with gamma levels not requiring correction, though I'll have another one here tomorrow I will be able to compare side by side.

Despite this, I would still recommend this monitor to anyone looking for a 27" QHD panel with usage with a bias towards gaming.

@PCM2 did you ever get hold of another S2719DGF?

Soldato
@PCM2 did you ever get hold of another S2719DGF?

No, Dell only have the one sample and I don't really have time to test another sample without good reason. It has already been confirmed that some units have appropriate '2.2' gamma tracking and others don't, so I'm not sure what that would achieve? This has been confirmed by some other reviews and also users who have access to appropriate hardware (a colorimeter).

Also, be extremely careful with the Lagom test for gamma. Gamma is extremely viewing angle dependent on TN models so the accuracy of the Lagom test is extremely poor. Shift your eyes just slightly up or down and you'll notice the 'reading' on that test varies. Same if you adjust the position of the bars on the screen. I've also found the test to be inaccurate even on many IPS-type panels, so you're better off going by how things look to your eye in general use than a flawed test.

Associate
I hope you get a better one as there's no point in keeping what you're not happy with.

Have you considered the Asus PG279Q or the Acer X271HU IPS?

They have been around for a while but if you get a good one it could be what you're looking for.

Soldato
Opening the curtains or changing the artificial lighting isn't going to do a great deal to change how gamma is perceived.
Mine and a lot of other S2719DGF's are displaying low gamma out of the box, and if these users are set up correctly, with eyes level with the top third of the display, the perceived gamma at the bottom will be even lower.

If you read it says "unless you notice an issue that can't be resolved." That would be you.

Turning the light on at night if you game in the dark makes a massive difference, opening the curtains in the daytime, I have a south facing garden and appropriately heavy curtain, big difference although that's not going to apply to everyone.
The important point is the correct level of gamma for you're monitor depends on you're environment and you're very specific perception of that environment.

The best judge of wither you have an issue or not is you and your eye, rather than getting anxious about not having the correct setting.

Gamma setting for a film in a movie theater for example is specific to that light environment which is relatively uniform across movie theaters.

With colour and images even professionals work, think and learn differently, to some its an entirely technical processes, so not have the 'correct setting' or 'proper' adjustment for the correct light environment is a flaw. For others its more an artistic call, does the final image look as good as I can get it. i.e. its not simply a technical rule following processes.

Not to say one approach is better, just to note that people behave and learn differently.

Not a magic one size fits all average setting as we all think, behave and perceive things differently, the environments we live in are not uniform.

Settings are a guide and useful standard particularly if you have an issue you can't resolve.

The 'perfect' setting however depends entirely on you and your judgement.

As does the call on what the perfect monitor is.

Last edited:
Associate
The perfect settings are what a calibration is supposed to do hence why people pay a lot of money to calibrators who may do it for a living.
But the calibrated image might not please everyone.
I haven't bought a TN gaming monitor that was calibrated correctly to 2.2 and they don't always come with a calibration sheet like my Samsung did which was a VA.

I don't know what Dell intend with this monitor. Either they think gamers want lower gamma for gaming like the FPS settings which usually help you to see in darker shadowy areas or they're screwing up giving a mixture of results.

Either way the consumer will get annoyed by playing the lottery that ensues here.

I don't see why they can't add gamma settings on their gaming monitors but then again they are usually off.

Soldato
The perfect settings are what a calibration is supposed to do hence why people pay a lot of money to calibrators who may do it for a living.

Yes if I am printing an image for display, I don't do at home and use a work space with appropriate controlled environment, very expensive equipment I could not afford to have at home and make sure I am not wearing day glo clothing. Final call with colour is a bitch and can be impossible in normal home conditions unless you live in some form of sterile bland laboratory.

Gamma setting on the Dell is an issue for some users. Dells q.c. is also clearly an issue as is its choices in firmware and software.

Not the point I was attempting to make.

Associate
I wasn't having a go at you efish I was just trying to say that I worry less about the perfect settings but rather how good it looks to my preferences even if they are not accurate. :)

Soldato
I wasn't having a go at you efish I was just trying to say that I worry less about the perfect settings but rather how good it looks to my preferences even if they are not accurate. :)

I did not think you were:cool:. I assumed I was not being clear when writing ;).

Associate

This exactly. I am not expecting it to be perfect or accurate.

The issue I have with mine tracking gamma lower than other s2719dgf is that it looks different to my phone, laptop, TV etc, too bright with dull colour.

Definitely some conflicts of opinion here though :D Seems to be being caused by Dell pumping out units with drastically different gamma out of the box!
Regarding firmware I'd assume that both mine and Davanius are running the same firmware as both are Sept 18 A00 builds, yet different out of box gamma. Weird!

I have tilted my screen up a couple degrees now too as you have with yours, which I guess will help with perceptions of the bottom of the screen.

Soldato
This exactly. I am not expecting it to be perfect or accurate.

The issue I have with mine tracking gamma lower than other s2719dgf is that it looks different to my phone, laptop, TV etc, too bright with dull colour.

Definitely some conflicts of opinion here though :D Seems to be being caused by Dell pumping out units with drastically different gamma out of the box!
Regarding firmware I'd assume that both mine and Davanius are running the same firmware as both are Sept 18 A00 builds, yet different out of box gamma. Weird!

I think we are just speaking about different issues, I was attempting (badly) to make some more general points.

Monitor has an issue for some users and that is clearly an issue with the monitor.

The onscreen calibration is not accurate (personally I would not bother with it) if you have an issue you will clearly see it and if you can't resolve it by eye and adjustment and its still unacceptable its time to return the monitor.

You would expect a monitor of this type to display 'a decent image' with some adjustment for preference, without the need to engage in more serious calibration as its intended for standard home.

Associate
I agree. You would expect a monitor of this type to display 'a decent image' by changing profiles on the monitor, adjusting the contrast and brightness, or at most adjusting the colour yourself on the monitors OSD.
Having to calibrate from within Windows is above and beyond what should be necessary, but appears to be so for more than an average quantity of these panels.
It is something I can live with if the second unit displays the same traits, as once I adjust the gamma within Windows, I am happy with the output of the panel.

Associate
Received mine today. As expected, gamma was about 1.9. Used Profile mentioned before, few adjusts and voilà. Fantastic monitor.
None of the fragmenting effect in dark scene transitions present in both UHD TVs used before, and both IPS LG UHD and VA iiyama UHD.

Associate
Installed the Colour Profile from pcmonitors review, as my monitor was one of the low gamma ones. Not all monitors will be, but seems quite common occurrence. The changes were: using custom colour profile. Red 96, Grren 96 and Blue 99, Brightness, personal preference, 35. Response time to Fast . Freesync on. Didn't used overclocked to 155.

Soldato
My misadventures with calibrating in four images.

This is sorting out the vertical lines that appear in the sky in this title. Border-less window mode and RTS resolve the issue but RTS over is oversharp

H0KB3PU.jpg
Trying to sort the sharpness and starting to tweak the colour

26zyjDn.jpg
Got the sharpness where I want it not the contrast.

EY3BijV.jpg
Got the contrast with skin tones, too bright, but the best I have got so far.

dDNelIL.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
"Look at the image below, and take a few steps back from your monitor such that you don't see the individual pixels or squint your eyes. In each of the vertical color bars, the lighter and darker bands should blend in at the height labeled "2.2", which is the gamma setting. Actually, for a true sRGB display, the bands should blend in at 2.25 (48%), 2.20 (25%), and 2.17 (10%)."

"The four bars at the left are the most important ones to get right. They represent a luminance that is 48% of the maximum. When the 48% setting is correct, you may wish to fiddle with other settings to get the bars for 25% and 10% to blend in at the 2.2 reading."

So, roll back in your chair so that you're not seeing the pixels or the individual lines so clearly. The middle of where it appears to blend in is your gamma level. I saved the image and open it with an image viewer. I also ensure that the gamma bars are in the middle of the screen.
This of course means that being a TN, gamma will appear higher at the top of the screen and lower at the bottom, and will move if you adjust your head height.

Out of the box, 48% shows as 1.8, 25% 1.9 and 10% 2.0.
Using pcmonitors settings increases each of these by 0.1.
Adjusting the gamma using windows display calibration pulls the 48% channels (except blue) to 2.2. The 25% and 10% channels also come closer to 2.2. I have seen very subtle banding with the gamma adjusted, but I need to look for it.

Hiya I followed these settings and still see the 48% RED @ 1.9 and the windows settings are perfect in the gamma tuning

Back
Top Bottom