Dell U2711..is it worth the money?

Soldato
Im having my last little bout of indecision now before payday over whether to go for this monitor or 2 x 24" Dell U2410's :p

edit

Went for a wander down Tottenham Ct Rd earlier. I wanted to check on the size of the 27" Dell, and also have a look at the Dell 24" monitors

Have to say, I was very impressed with the 24" Dells, nice picture, no obvious ghosting but Im concerned at how it would look close up which is how I sit at my PC and tbh, it didn't look too bad, but I couldn't escape the nagging feeling that it was only 1920 x 1200 :D

Although several places had the 27" Dell in stock, none of them had one on display and all of them were unwilling to show a working model unless I bought it there and then - which is fair enough as opened boxes mean they cant sell them..
Im not sure what to do, I need to find a working U2711 so I can see before I buy, Im sure it will be fine, but somethng in me balks at spending 540 odd quid on something I have never seen working??

Last edited:
Soldato
Im having my last little bout of indecision now before payday over whether to go for this monitor or 2 x 24" Dell U2410's :p

edit

Went for a wander down Tottenham Ct Rd earlier. I wanted to check on the size of the 27" Dell, and also have a look at the Dell 24" monitors

Have to say, I was very impressed with the 24" Dells, nice picture, no obvious ghosting but Im concerned at how it would look close up which is how I sit at my PC and tbh, it didn't look too bad, but I couldn't escape the nagging feeling that it was only 1920 x 1200 :D

Although several places had the 27" Dell in stock, none of them had one on display and all of them were unwilling to show a working model unless I bought it there and then - which is fair enough as opened boxes mean they cant sell them..
Im not sure what to do, I need to find a working U2711 so I can see before I buy, Im sure it will be fine, but somethng in me balks at spending 540 odd quid on something I have never seen working??
If you liked the 24" you'll love the 27"... Just buy it... Go on, you know you want to :)1

Soldato
The one thing keeps niggling me is the words anti glare coating, found a oz web site where a guy removed it and the dell looked stunning next to a apple screen, would not have the nerve to do it myself

Associate
The one thing keeps niggling me is the words anti glare coating, found a oz web site where a guy removed it and the dell looked stunning next to a apple screen, would not have the nerve to do it myself
Keep reading the thread, he wasn't the only one that was driven to insanity by the AG-coating. All or nearly all of them got some sort of other problem later on caused by the procedure though. You're better off sending the Dell back if it bothers you to that extend, replacing it with a Hazro makes more sense then ruining a monitor.

Soldato
I nearly removed the AG coating from my U2410 and have a practice run on a 19" dell that went well. Bottled it in the end and tbh it dont really bother me. As above people who did it ended up having problems.

Soldato
The Ag coating doesn't bother me in the slightest although to be fair I do sit in a very brightly lit room so it actually does it's job. Not sure if it's the same coating as used on the 24"? If it is and you've seen them then that answers your question as well I suppose.

Associate
OP
I was worried about the AG (as you can read in this thread) but I have to say it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Nor does the input lag, it was already 25-30ms on my previous monitor, so whats a few more ms :p

Very impressed so far.

Soldato
For those that bought this, what made you choose 60Hz over 120Hz, I understand that it isn't available at this res, but am interested as to why people are choosing 60Hz monitors over 120Hz in general when the 120Hz are meant to be smoother (Im not talking about 3D either as that doesn't bother me at all)

I think that this is my last doubt now as well as wondering if Im going to want a touch screen when win 8 comes out :p:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For me it was simply down to the fact that I already had a S-PVA 1920x1200 monitor, so getting a new monitor with only a TN panel at 1080p would seem like a downgrade.

All for 120Hz. It just didn't seem worth the sacrifice to me.

Soldato
I have 2 x 19" dells, bog standard ex work monitors, so anything I get will be an upgrade, Im pretty certain I will either get the u2410 or the U2711 (Im changing my mind every 5 mins), but I suddenly started thinking about 120Hz today after dismissing it intially when I started looking

Associate
OP
If you use your system 99.9% for gaming, then I'd go for a 120Hz monitor, especially for fast paced games.

If you do any image work, or like a lot of desktop real estate, then I'd recommend a screen with a higher res than 1080p.

And yes I agree, it is a tough decision. It certainly was for me, as you can tell by this thread.

Soldato
Id say 50% gaming, the rest will be GNS3, study, browsing and some image work <10% at the moment, but Im hoping it will be more if I have a decent screen.
My purchase is being driven by wanting a decent monitor after spending 1800 on a new x79 buid, seemed mad to be using a 19" solution with this rig.
120Hz is attrative, but to be honest Im kidding myself a bit as my gaming skills are so bad 50ms response time or 120Hz will make no difference to my kills/death ratio. I laugh at people moaning about response times as for me Id love to be able to react quickly
I think it will come down to the 24 or 27 inch dells as I liked the quality I saw with the 24 the other day..

Soldato
For me it was simply down to the fact that I already had a S-PVA 1920x1200 monitor, so getting a new monitor with only a TN panel at 1080p would seem like a downgrade.

All for 120Hz. It just didn't seem worth the sacrifice to me.

the dell 24" are @ 1920x1200, so what made you upgrade? Was it just the extra real estate?

Soldato
I'm really really thinking about buying one of these U2711's.

Iv'e been using a 2007WFP for the past 5 years - the U2711 may be a bit of a shock to the retinas :D

Associate
OP
the dell 24" are @ 1920x1200, so what made you upgrade? Was it just the extra real estate?

Yes, that and the fact that my Dell 2407WFP was 5 years old. It was an awesome screen at 1920x1200 but I just felt it was time to upgrade.

I wanted a bigger and more up to date monitor. So an upgrade from 24" to 27" just seemed like the next logical step.

Loved my 2407WFP, not to mention Dell's zero pixel guarantee. I also didn't want a TN panel which would have been a downgrade from S-PVA, or to increase the panel size while at the same time downgrading the resolution.

I wasn't that fussed with 120Hz since my system isn't used exclusively for gaming, so the higher res comes in useful for desktop work.

I Had also looked at the Hazro models, but they have QA issues and can't offer the same guarantee as Dell with regards to dead bright or stuck pixels. When it boils down to it I just wouldn't trust a Hazro monitor as much as I trust a Dell equivalent.

So when you add all those things together, the U2711 was the logical choice.

A 120Hz monitor would have been nice, but I'd rather have the IPS panel and higher res. Pity there isn't a monitor that can combine all three yet.

Back
Top Bottom