Dell U2711..is it worth the money?

Associate
I got it straight from dell in the beginning of Jan. They had 20% off all monitors and another 15% on all orders over £599 which ended up being £505 and quidco 10% total £460 with 3yr warranty.

I find it great, had issues with the AG coating at the beginning but am use to and hardly notice it anymore. Movies and games look amazing, brilliant colours.

Soldato
Anyone know what is the difference with the Revision 11 units

and I thought rev 10 was the latest !!! I know things move quick in IT,but whoa.Sorry don't know the answer to the question - anybody know where we can find out the differences on revisions?

Mark

Associate
Guys, what are these monitors like for word processing? This talk of fuzzy text unnerves me. If I get one I'll be using it all day with Word, Excel, Webex etc.

Appreciate your thoughts?

KS

Soldato
Kirkster, the antiglare does make it slightly annoying. It doesn't make the text look fuzzy to me the only 'issue' I have is that it makes white backgrounds somewhat dirty looking. Now, this doesn't hamper in any way my ability to use the screen for writing/reading etc its just a slight annoyance.

Still doesn't distract from this being a superb monitor with wonderful colours. And for all the worries I had abut ghosting, well to my eyes, I have yet to witness any.

Soldato
Kirkster, the antiglare does make it slightly annoying. It doesn't make the text look fuzzy to me the only 'issue' I have is that it makes white backgrounds somewhat dirty looking. Now, this doesn't hamper in any way my ability to use the screen for writing/reading etc its just a slight annoyance.

Still doesn't distract from this being a superb monitor with wonderful colours. And for all the worries I had abut ghosting, well to my eyes, I have yet to witness any.

+1
Same findings for me, but overall v happy with mine too.

Mark

Associate
Thanks guys. I am going to get one in a couple of months.

What graphics card you using to drive the high resolution? Can you do this from a single DVI or HDMI or do you need two double-DVI to do it?

Also, can a Macbook drive this monitor as well? I am soon getting a work provided Macbook Pro and want to use this monitor for it when working from home.

Soldato
What graphics card you using to drive the high resolution? Can you do this from a single DVI or HDMI or do you need two double-DVI to do it?

one single dual-dvi port - hdmi can only output 1080p

edit - as axeia said 'dual-link' is what I mean - its a single dvi port

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, so to get the high res you need Dual-DVI I read. Does this consume 2 x DVI at the PC end and also both DVI ports at the monitor end as well?

Reason i ask is that if this does indeed consume the two DVI ports up on the monitor then how to connect other computers onto the monitor, perhaps also with high resolution? My Mac mini for instance and my Macbook Pro? I don't want to buy this expensive monitor if I have to settle for 1900x1080 on all but one computer.
Thanks.

Associate
With Macs it's usually easier to use the displayport as that can do the needed resolution as well and they often don't have DVI (the newer ones anyway).

You don't need "dual dvi", you need dual link dvi. Which is/needs a single port on both the graphics card/monitor.

Associate
Finally managed to get mu U3011 ultrasharp up and running. Been a bit sick so not been able to do much.
Its a great monitor, i like it a lot. 2560 x 1600 on osx and windows is a bit too small with the text though, very hard to read. might have to increase DPI or lower the resolution a bit.

Back
Top Bottom