*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Just received the replacement U2410, The pink tint is somewhat gone but on the whole of the left edge, there's one brown/yellowish tinting
That sounds more related to the lighting being a little darker at this edge of the screen. As others have said it's difficult to know what you're seeing. If you want, take an image of the entire screen viewing nothing but a white background and nothing else, and I'll boost it for you to see if it shows up, if you don't know how to adjust saturation in images yourself.

Associate
That sounds more related to the lighting being a little darker at this edge of the screen. As others have said it's difficult to know what you're seeing. If you want, take an image of the entire screen viewing nothing but a white background and nothing else, and I'll boost it for you to see if it shows up, if you don't know how to adjust saturation in images yourself.

dsc0471z.jpg

dsc0472z.jpg

Associate
I've tried using sRGB/Adobe/Custom and on lagom's white saturation, i cannot see 252,253 and 254, and for black level 1,2 and 3 can't be seen. I've tried to play around with custom settings and brightness/contract level, nothing helps. For contrast 55 and above there is any difference if i push it up even to max 100.

Associate
I've tried using sRGB/Adobe/Custom and on lagom's white saturation, i cannot see 252,253 and 254, and for black level 1,2 and 3 can't be seen. I've tried to play around with custom settings and brightness/contract level, nothing helps.
Hmm, boost Offset setting under Custom mode. It should show everything down to square 1 no problems. Has on every screen I've had so far at least. They won't show on sRGB/Adobe as that's part of the issue which requires a firmware fix.

254 white is very hard to see on the U2410 - it's only just visible. But 253 should be visible without much problem. Try bumping down the M (Magenta) value to 48 under the Hue settings in custom mode.

To help tint what would work best is the gain control, followed by the turning down the offset values of the tint colours you see. Although raising the brightness high evens out the light, it just seems to make tint problems worse in my experience, so try to find a compromise brightness level. As I've said before though, if it's bad enough it's clear no amount of adjustments will fix the issue.

Here's what I got from your photos. The first appears a little bright at the bottom probably because of the angle of the screen. The first might show more green than is actually there because of that. The second is more red.
It does look like you have a pink blue top half, and green botton though..
th_Webbyboy_Sat88Boost1.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/Webbyboy_Sat88Boost1.jpg

th_Webbyboy_Sat88Boost2.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/Webbyboy_Sat88Boost2.jpg

Associate
Mkay, how many of the 5 had a stuck or lit pixel? This seems to be more the norm than the tint issues.
3. 1 with lit, one with dead, and the new one is kinda half dead. I never did hit on the combination of no tint and no dead pixels, but this one is off to the edge enough that I can live with it.

What's ironic is the lit green pixel was actually less troublesome than the initial dead red pixel in the middle. The green is covered under the Dell warranty, and yet the red (which was more annoying on anything but black backgrounds) would not "technically" be covered.

Associate
Hmm, boost Offset setting under Custom mode. It should show everything down to square 1 no problems. Has on every screen I've had so far at least. They won't show on sRGB/Adobe as that's part of the issue which requires a firmware fix.

254 white is very hard to see on the U2410 - it's only just visible. But 253 should be visible without much problem. Try bumping down the M (Magenta) value to 48 under the Hue settings in custom mode.

To help tint what would work best is the gain control, followed by the turning down the offset values of the tint colours you see. Although raising the brightness high evens out the light, it just seems to make tint problems worse in my experience, so try to find a compromise brightness level. As I've said before though, if it's bad enough it's clear no amount of adjustments will fix the issue.

Here's what I got from your photos. The first appears a little bright at the bottom probably because of the angle of the screen. The first might show more green than is actually there because of that. The second is more red.
It does look like you have a pink blue top half, and green botton though..
th_Webbyboy_Sat88Boost1.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/Webbyboy_Sat88Boost1.jpg

th_Webbyboy_Sat88Boost2.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/Webbyboy_Sat88Boost2.jpg

Do you think should i try another panel?

Associate
I didn't think a red pixel could be dead.
It can be red, green, or blue, either always on (lit, which shows on black backgrounds) or always off (dead, which shows on white backgrounds). So really, it's not so much it was dead.. it was a pixel where the red was normal, but the other 2 sections were dead, meaning it shows red on a white background :) This new one is unusual, in that it's simply a weaker pixel, rather than fully dead. I would've thought maybe it'd be a bit of dust, but it doesn't seem to be. Either way I'm happier than if it'd been fully lit or fully dead, and it's near the edge, so I'll live with it :)

Do you think should i try another panel?
Depends how much it bothers you. I thought about living with the pink/blue tint panel I got, but I'm glad I didn't stick it now and, in hindsight, it was more the annoyance of the exchange process wearing me down into acceptance, rather than my happiness with the panel. It's nice to get a U2410 and not feel like constantly fighting with the colour controls to try and get something you're happy with..

Last edited:
Associate
Well ladies/gentlemen,

Screen number 5 arrived from Dell today, again unannounced (If it'd came an hour later nobody would've been here), but on the other side a less than 48 hour turn around this time was quite impressive.

Screen number 5 is... FREE OF TINT ISSUES!! :D
So that's 3 out of 5 screens I've had that have been free of tint for those of you worried about the issue.

Ok, so it's free of tint, but the other two tint free screens have had a dead and a lit pixel. Is this screen any different? The answer is unfortunately no. It has a single dead pixel. The good news is that it's not a fully dead pixel - it appears grey on white backgrounds. But it's difficult to spot from an ordinary viewing distance, and really only on white and green backgrounds. The even better news is it's about 2 inches up and an inch from the right - where your eyes are almost never going to get distracted by it during normal usage. If this had been in the middle it'd have been a different matter, but it's not, and so I now have a screen I feel I can live with for the next few years, fingers crossed :) Not quite perfect, but it seems as close as I'll get!

It's not as good as screen 4 for uniformity (there's a barely perceptible pink bottom left, green top right), but I'm only noticing this because I know the tint issue so well now. It can be considered tint free as the perception doesn't change much regardless of the brightness setting, and can be largely solved with a tiny tweak to the gain settings (Red 99, green 98), and that's most definitely not true if a screen really has noticeable tint. No settings remove it, it can just be minimized to a degree.

Apart from the fact they can't seem to inform me of a delivery, I can't fault Dell much throughout the process, other than for the fact that they've allowed some screens with such bad uniformity through their quality control in the first place. The second screen, in particular, was just awful.

Screen 3 proves that it's not just a pink/green tint issue that's out there, as it was pink/blue. However human eyes tend to be a lot more sensitive to green, and so I think many simply won't notice a pink/blue tint to the same extent they would a green tint. That's likely why I also perceived it as milder than the previous pink/green tint monitor problem myself.

So for those of you sensitive to/bugged by the tint don't worry - there's screens without it!

Awesome. I'm pleased for you. :D

I'm gonna have to have a word with Dell, as I'm getting 5-7 turnaround for new monitors.

Associate
It can be red, green, or blue, either always on (lit, which shows on black backgrounds) or always off (dead, which shows on white backgrounds). So really, it's not so much it was dead.. it was a pixel where the red was normal, but the other 2 sections were dead, meaning it shows red on a white background :) This new one is unusual, in that it's simply a weaker pixel, rather than fully dead. I would've thought maybe it'd be a bit of dust, but it doesn't seem to be. Either way I'm happier than if it'd been fully lit or fully dead, and it's near the edge, so I'll live with it :)

Depends how much it bothers you. I thought about living with the pink/blue tint panel I got, but I'm glad I didn't stick it now and, in hindsight, it was more the annoyance of the exchange process wearing me down into acceptance, rather than my happiness with the panel. It's nice to get a U2410 and not feel like constantly fighting with the colour controls to try and get something you're happy with..

This panel tinting doesn't bother me but it's those "burnt" marks along the left side of the screen that bothers me.

Last edited:
Associate
You guys know about this? got it from another forum but can't test it myself as still waiting for replacement.

"Activating a test mode on the U2410..
Make the Touch Sensor (AKA Exit) button light up (You don't have to press it, just have it light up)
Now press and hold where the Menu and Preset Modes buttons are for 3 seconds..
You've now activated a U2410 test mode

Use Menu to cycle grey, red, green, blue, and white screens. Menu again exits."

Associate
You guys know about this? got it from another forum but can't test it myself as still waiting for replacement.
That was me posting it under a different nick there :)

Doesn't do much. I was hoping to find some other test modes, but it's really hard even to get that one to work due to the capacitive touch buttons on the U2410.

Another somewhat "hidden" feature is the lock mode - Press the Exit button for 15 seconds and it locks access to the menus. Hold the button for the same time again to unlock.

Associate
How much better is this than the previous model? 2048WFP.

I can get that for £75 cheaper, and obviously without the risk of tint. What do you reckon (it's to play games & watch movies).

Associate
Got my new one today, no dead pixels at all :) Seems not as bright as the last one................tell me i'm imagining it and it'll go away!

How do I test for pink/green tint? can i post a pic here and get a lovely person to do it for me? Also, is there anyway I can tell if the brightness is below par?

This one also came with no label, meaning I have no warranty............Will have to follow this up.

Here is a picture NB: the pink in the middle isn't visible in real life, so i guess my camera is distorting things.

2009-10-08104705.jpg

Back
Top Bottom