*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Got my monitor today. No pink/green tint, no pixels, lovely monitor. There is a barely perceptable flaw--the top half of the monitor is cooler than the bottom half. If the top looks white the bottom looks a slightly sunnier white. But it's barely noticeable.

Associate
is this the tint issue? its very present in all pics when using windows photo viewer

bhxcao.jpg

Associate
Right, well I was happily using my fourth U2410. Just switched it off and now it won't switch back on. Tried changing the power cord, still doesn't power up.

Getting really, really, really ****ed off with this now.

Associate
Guys, just a word of advise from you...I am on the verge of sending this monitor back to the reseller because the Tint issue, but apart from that problem I really like the unit.
I am now thinking about calling DELL tomorrow morning and start the exchange lottery..what do you think? What's your opinion? What's your experience with DELL support? What's the procedure supposing you have the order code.
Do you think I may eventually get a good unit or is it worth sending it back and get the full refund?

Associate
Guys, just a word of advise from you...I am on the verge of sending this monitor back to the reseller because the Tint issue, but apart from that problem I really like the unit.
I am now thinking about calling DELL tomorrow morning and start the exchange lottery..what do you think? What's your opinion? What's your experience with DELL support? What's the procedure supposing you have the order code.
Do you think I may eventually get a good unit or is it worth sending it back and get the full refund?

I am on my fourth U2410 and it was working perfectly about 30 minutes ago. My experience with Dell's support team is that they are generally helpful. I can't believe I'll be back on the phone to them tomorrow though.

To anyone thinking of buying this monitor, don't! I cannot believe a company as big as Dell can ship products which have so many obvious faults. I don't think I'll ever be buying from Dell again.

Associate
Ok a lot of people who don't have these have changed there minds, and the people who have these say keep away.

So my question is what would you buy instead ?

Associate
Ok now it appears this tint issue is very present FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

What process do I now need to go through? Will I need to phone Dell or OcUK?

edit: its very hard to decide what to do here, after calibrating and adjusting I managed to get rid of the green tint while using windows picture viewer, but it still looks like its there sometimes, which is strange...

don't know whether to keep this monitor because its just an awesome build and I really lke it

Last edited:
Associate
I was wondering if any of you have gotten some decent settings in Custom Color that resembles sRGB? Would be very nice if you could share them! Thanks
The basic advice there is turn down your Red and magenta saturation - tweak to personal taste, but try 40ish. You should probably turn down the green too, don't turn any hue values above 52 or below 48 or it will introduce dithering, use offset mainly for removing any tint you see on greys, and use gain to remove any overall tinting you see on the screen when looking at a white background. Bear in mind if your screen suffers from tint gradation issues to any very noticeable degree there's no way to fix it since both sides of the screen are in disagreement and turning down a value on one side where you need it less also turns it down on the other side where you may need it more.

Associate
Got my monitor today. No pink/green tint, no pixels, lovely monitor. There is a barely perceptable flaw--the top half of the monitor is cooler than the bottom half. If the top looks white the bottom looks a slightly sunnier white. But it's barely noticeable.
That sounds like tint gradation issues ;) In more severe cases it tends to be a more noticeable green on the bottom left, pink on the top right, but the tint can also be blue instead of green, or going bottom to top like yours, where it sounds like it's slightly more red at the bottom. As yours is barely perceptible (My current U2410 is also barely perceptible) it's not a big issue.. You won the panel lottery - congrats. :)

Associate
is this the tint issue? its very present in all pics when using windows photo viewer

bhxcao.jpg
No. That's caused by the fact that Windows Photo Viewer is colour managed, and I bet you've installed the U2410 ini file from the CD with its colour profile? :) Go to colour management in the control panel and delete the U2410 entry under where it says "Profiles associated with this device". You may also want to make sure your windows device profile (under advanced) is set to the system default sRGB (with an IEC code after it which I dont remember :) )

Basically the Dell provided profile is describing the monitor as wide gamut, but it was done of a different screen and is making things worse for you. You'd need to get your own calibration device and generate your own profiles so that they show accurately when used with Windows colour management :)

Associate
I am now thinking about calling DELL tomorrow morning and start the exchange lottery..what do you think?
They may now refuse to exchange the panel for you as it is "within spec" if it has the tint issue.

What's your experience with DELL support? What's the procedure supposing you have the order code.
They send you a panel, you send them yours back. Unfortunately, even when Dell promise a "factory new" panel, you can't be totally confident that you're not getting someone elses rejected monitor.

If they keep exchanging them you will eventually get a good one, but it took me 5 tries, and that's more than anyone should have to do. If I were buying now I'd get a refund and wait to buy the screen from someone else given the fact that Dell are refusing to deal with the tint issue. If your monitor ever goes wrong, and they warranty swap it, I imagine you'd have quite a fun time attempting to get one which didn't have tint issues or dead pixels (Dells guarantee only applies to lit pixels, not dead ones - there can be up to 6 of those iirc).

Back
Top Bottom