Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Thursday 3rd April: Shoulders + Snatch work
  • OHP: 45kg x 6, 6, 5+1
  • PP: 30kg x 8, 25kg x 8, 8.
  • OH Squat: Bar x 5, 22.5kg x 5, 4.
  • Snatch work: Bar x 3, 3. 25kg x some. 30kg x some, some.

Got some horrible bruises at the moment where the bars hitting me......Obviously made worse from last week due to today :eek!:

Vid of all:

PP is killing me, can't go past 6 reps at the moment at that weight...So may switch down to triples, unsure yet. Need to really get under the bar though, I seem to be struggling with this.

OH Squat, put a bit of weight on....Different.

Snatch stuff, think it was better this week and with some tips from habibibii I have adjusted a couple of things and they certainly felt better.
Put some weight on the

Last edited:
I need some further guidance then.

Yes - ideally this would be in person, as doing it over the internet is not the clearest way of getting this working.

For a start, break the 'snatch pull' down into it's component bits, as we are confusing things:

POSITION 1
This is where you are holding the bar in the required grip, standing tall, braced, etc. From here, whilst keeping your torso braced, let your knees bench a couple of inches, so you assume the upright 'jumping position'.

From here, the standard cue is to 'jump'. The reason I don't like this (i.e. it doesn't work for me) is a lot of people who do this then fail to extend their hips enough resulting in the funny 'coiled' jump, where the knees and hips are still in flexion.

This is why I suggest sliding your hips back until your shins are vertical and trying to rattle the bar with them by exploding them through into extension by forcing your heels back: for me, this is what I needed to get started with the 'pop'. This actually winds the bar far too far out in front, but it teaches the brain the rudimentary motor pattern of exploding hips. As such.

Choose which one you want: ultimately, the goal is to wind up on the balls of your feel but standing straight up.

This is without any 'shrug', too: just get your hips moving.

POSITION 2
Assume position 1, but - keeping your back and abz tighter than a tight thing, - push your hips back and keep your shoulders in front of the bar. You will know when this is working, because your hamstrings will scream and your lats will start to burn. Do this until your shins are vertical.

You should now be in a very odd position, where your shins are vertical, your torso is nearly (not quite) horizontal and your back is straight as a ruler. The bar should be just below your kneecap on the tibial tuberosity.

From here, reverse your descent slowly by pushing your heels into the ground, holding the bar back with your lats and pulling your torso upright with your hamstrings/glutes. You should - assuming you have held your position - wind up in position one.

Jump. :)

There is a POSITION 3 (from the floor) but it's only relevant if you want to be a weightlifter, not if you want to snatch.

THIS IS JUST THE LEG/BACK COMPONENT OF THE SNATCH: NOT THE SHRUG. ONLY START DOING THIS ONCE YOUR MOTOR PATTERN FOR POSITIONS 1/2 ARE WORKING REPEATEDLY.

The shrug comes as the bar comes into the position 1 'pocket'. Try and get your elbows to touch your ears as fast as you can. A sign of a good shrug is elbows level with the top of the lifter's head, and the forearms pointing straight down.

One of the things I had to relearn was not to pull back but pull up. Perversely, this actually keeps the bar closer to the body and in a much better receiving position.

What this means is your hips must make some sort of contact with the bar, but that the contact point is the trigger to shrug, so you should not bruise so much.

But the pull doesn't stop there. Keep going until the bar is over your head in the receiving position. This is where brocep training actually has a relevance for weightlifters as you should feel the pull in them, too. :)

Put it this way: Chinese weightlifters start out with a stick of bamboo for a couple of months just burying the movement pattern. Then they might get let near a barbell assuming they make the grade. And then it's months of just a barbell. I've read stories of months just practicing the movement from the first pull to the catch with just a stick of bamboo...

But the end result is they are pretty much the best in the world at it. :)

The question is really: do you want to be a weightlifter? Or do you just want a shoulder workout? If you can get the movement more or less right from POSITION 1, then the shoulder workout component is there. Weightlifting takes a LOT longer.

Need to start snatch work again :cool:

The shrug directly up is what feels quite unnatural as it's quite violent and the elbows get insanely high. Watching back the videos where I was learning in the first few weeks, not enough shrug and too much hips makes the bar arc away from the body. Kind of why getting shoulders over the bar is important as it helps maintain the bars straight path. (In my mind anyway!)

Probably going to put snatch pulls in my program.

Doovis come to mine for some snatch work one weekend? All kinds of platforms and bumper plates at mine.

Last edited:
Need to start snatch work again :cool:

The shrug directly up is what feels quite unnatural as it's quite violent and the elbows get insanely high. Watching back the videos where I was learning in the first few weeks, not enough shrug and too much hips makes the bar arc away from the body. Kind of why getting shoulders over the bar is important as it helps maintain the bars straight path. (In my mind anyway!)

Probably going to put snatch pulls in my program.

Doovis come to mine for some snatch work one weekend? All kinds of platforms and bumper plates at mine.

It's a date <3 Would love to, I can't bail at my place :p

Mr.thingymajiggy
Yes - ideally this would be in person, as doing it over the internet is not the clearest way of getting this working.

For a start, break the 'snatch pull' down into it's component bits, as we are confusing things:

POSITION 1
This is where you are holding the bar in the required grip, standing tall, braced, etc. From here, whilst keeping your torso braced, let your knees bench a couple of inches, so you assume the upright 'jumping position'.

From here, the standard cue is to 'jump'. The reason I don't like this (i.e. it doesn't work for me) is a lot of people who do this then fail to extend their hips enough resulting in the funny 'coiled' jump, where the knees and hips are still in flexion.

This is why I suggest sliding your hips back until your shins are vertical and trying to rattle the bar with them by exploding them through into extension by forcing your heels back: for me, this is what I needed to get started with the 'pop'. This actually winds the bar far too far out in front, but it teaches the brain the rudimentary motor pattern of exploding hips. As such.

Choose which one you want: ultimately, the goal is to wind up on the balls of your feel but standing straight up.

This is without any 'shrug', too: just get your hips moving.

POSITION 2
Assume position 1, but - keeping your back and abz tighter than a tight thing, - push your hips back and keep your shoulders in front of the bar. You will know when this is working, because your hamstrings will scream and your lats will start to burn. Do this until your shins are vertical.

You should now be in a very odd position, where your shins are vertical, your torso is nearly (not quite) horizontal and your back is straight as a ruler. The bar should be just below your kneecap on the tibial tuberosity.

From here, reverse your descent slowly by pushing your heels into the ground, holding the bar back with your lats and pulling your torso upright with your hamstrings/glutes. You should - assuming you have held your position - wind up in position one.

Jump. :)

There is a POSITION 3 (from the floor) but it's only relevant if you want to be a weightlifter, not if you want to snatch.

THIS IS JUST THE LEG/BACK COMPONENT OF THE SNATCH: NOT THE SHRUG. ONLY START DOING THIS ONCE YOUR MOTOR PATTERN FOR POSITIONS 1/2 ARE WORKING REPEATEDLY.

The shrug comes as the bar comes into the position 1 'pocket'. Try and get your elbows to touch your ears as fast as you can. A sign of a good shrug is elbows level with the top of the lifter's head, and the forearms pointing straight down.

One of the things I had to relearn was not to pull back but pull up. Perversely, this actually keeps the bar closer to the body and in a much better receiving position.

What this means is your hips must make some sort of contact with the bar, but that the contact point is the trigger to shrug, so you should not bruise so much.

But the pull doesn't stop there. Keep going until the bar is over your head in the receiving position. This is where brocep training actually has a relevance for weightlifters as you should feel the pull in them, too. :)

Put it this way: Chinese weightlifters start out with a stick of bamboo for a couple of months just burying the movement pattern. Then they might get let near a barbell assuming they make the grade. And then it's months of just a barbell. I've read stories of months just practicing the movement from the first pull to the catch with just a stick of bamboo...

But the end result is they are pretty much the best in the world at it. :)

The question is really: do you want to be a weightlifter? Or do you just want a shoulder workout? If you can get the movement more or less right from POSITION 1, then the shoulder workout component is there. Weightlifting takes a LOT longer.

You gorgeous man you. I was going to ask if I can pop over one day to be honest, especially if I'm wanting to do it reasonably proper like. The bruises on my thighs are er, kinda black now....So a bruise on a bruise....

Not good.

Last edited:
Going back to your response, it helps a lot, I just need to sit with the bar and practice, I may go in tomorrow and have a play....I believe I'm doing what you say and whacking it way too hard rather than connecting with the bar then pulling. The bruising really is looking reasonably horrific at the moment :o

This scares me though:
forearms pointing straight down.
:D

In response to your last paragraph. No idea, I'm just enjoying the movement at the moment and it appears to not aggravate my shoulder as much as other movements, so for now I'll carry on. In the future however that may change, it will be more of a case of whether or not I end up in a gym that has the decent equipment or I make my own gym one day.

Friday 5th April: Back
  • Deadlifts: 120kg x 5, 125kg x 5, 120kg x 5.
  • Chins: 5, 5, 3+2negs
  • Bors: 55kg x 12, 12, 50kg x 12.
  • Seated Cable row: 45kg x 12, 52kg x 12, 12, 45kg x 12, 12.
  • Lat pull down: 39kg x 12, 34.3kg x 12, 12.
  • Single leg RDL (left) 20kg x 8, 8, 10.
  • Back/Lat stretch, psoas-esque stretch, Crucifix hold.

Not bad. Deadlifts seem to be holding and I'm keeping rest times lowish. Chins went a lot better this week they just seemed to move well. Seated row glorious as usual.

I'm extremely tight at the moment everywhere, I need to smash everything this weekend.

Hmmmm... just looked at the deadlifts and you seem to be extending at your lumbar rather than your hips.

You used to have that affirmative Manifold bolt-action glute lockout, but it seems absent for some reason...

Back
Top Bottom