Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Man of Honour
There's not much scope to lower the reps when he's already working on 5x5 :p

Delvis' shoulders are very far behind the rest of his development due to injury and neglect, I dare say it's gonna take a lot of pushing to make them catch up.

Yes there is. Sets of 3s and 1s, and more of them - that's what's needed for strength and progress, not completing 5 easy reps.

I have the same problems with my shoulders unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yes there is. Sets of 3s and 1s, and more of them - that's what's needed for threads, not completing 5 easy reps.

I have the same problems with my shoulders unfortunately. :(

Did you mean to say threads? :) (he meant strength ;))

Cheers though, I think if I stall on OHP again next week I'll try a different plan of action. Or shall I mix now seeing as I've stalled on that weight twice?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
No he meant to say strength, but FF we're on about a ~30kg OHP here, not pushing 80kg and trying to get to 82.5kg

Surely weight does not mean anything? I've hit a plateau, a plateau can be 30kg or 80kg as said :p

Anyway, it's 37.5kg for reps (although the first rep always feels like death :o)

Soldato
Well I don't believe strength training is a linear progression. When you get to big numbers, 5x5 won't work any where near as well for you any more, it's easier to move to routines like 531 or whatever it's called. But you're not at big numbers, it's still not a weight your body should naturally struggle with. I just think you gotta eat lots and keep plugging at it.

Perhaps spend your next session doing 2 or 3 reps with heavy weight, then dial it right back and do some 3x8 at a lighter than usual weight. But I wouldn't go changing your shoulder routine.

Caporegime
OP
Do some DB push presses too - great for developing power.

I believe I did some this Thursday rather than arnold presses, although I'll look up form. Also doing some single arm push presses with a kettle bell now.

Well I don't believe strength training is a linear progression. When you get to big numbers, 5x5 won't work any where near as well for you any more, it's easier to move to routines like 531 or whatever it's called. But you're not at big numbers, it's still not a weight your body should naturally struggle with. I just think you gotta eat lots and keep plugging at it.

Perhaps spend your next session doing 2 or 3 reps with heavy weight, then dial it right back and do some 3x8 at a lighter than usual weight. But I wouldn't go changing your shoulder routine.

I'm struggling with it due to injurys as you know, so for me, it's a natural wall due to lack of strength in that department? :)

I presume when you say 'don't change your shoulder routine' you mean change the exercises completely rather than the rep range?

Man of Honour
30kg may be a big number to Delvis though - it's all relative. Strength training can specifically help push past plateaus. Delvis asked in my thread for suggestions, so I'm just saying that higher weights with triples/singles would be good. Then he can drop the weight to do some reps @ 5 reps for as many sets as he wants. It won't do any harm adding some triples and singles to let his body get used to that weight.

As for DB push press, use 2 DBs rather than one, and concentrate on your plane of movement, and ensure a lock out for a good 2s, then a slow controlled lowering phase. You'll have to use heavier weights than you can strict press, as you'll be exploding. The point of getting the higher weight in the air is to get your shoulder socket used to being locked out and supporting that heavier weight - and the lowering phase helps to build the stability in your shoulders.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers FF.

I do single arm press for my core primarily, and this is done with the other core work anyway so won't have an effect on the actual shoulder training prior.

edit: sorry, I did mine seated last week and it was more DB OHP. So do standing DB push press instead?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Monday 4th February: Legs
  • Mobility
  • Squats: barxlots, 5x60kg, 90kg: 5, 5, 3 (3rd spotted, 4th failed) 50kg speed work: 5, 5, 5 (played with a wider stance)
  • RDL: 5x5x80kg

Woke up late this morning, coupled with being knackered from yesterday and staying up later than usual to cook my food I just felt gash.

So, squats, dropped down to 90kg to work on depth at a heavy weight, reasonably pleased but annoyed about the 3rd set, I seem to let me chest drop which causes me to fail most of the time, just need to work on keeping the chest up, getting depth, the correct stance width and driving through. I appear to stall at the top every time.

RDL's, all good. Just low on time. Vids to follow.

Caporegime
OP
3x5x90kg squats from today: First two sets good, third set spotted on rep 3, rep 4 failed.
EDIT: Weirdly, the first rep on the final set flies up :o

5x5x50kg squats: trying for speed, still needs work.
EDIT: these are done with a wider stance than usual, I was testing the waters. My knees come in so may need to narrow again a touch.
Edit again: looking back, butts wiggling, this is what happens when I go for depth :(

And the RDL's at 80kg, can anyone see issues with these?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Any feedback on the above at all? Got a bit of discomfort in my back today, no doubt due to having to rush squats yesterday and the butt wink on the lower set

Tuesday 5th February: Chest
  • Mobility: shoulders, legs, bit of chest
  • BB Bench: barx10, 30kgx6, 40kgx5. 5x5x60kg (yeeee!)
  • Incline DB bench (1 notch): 24's: 3x5. 22's: 2x5.
  • Dips: +5kg: 5, 5, 4 and a bit. 5 @ BW.
  • Cable flyes: 5x5x18's
  • Cable push down (pull down?): 25.3kg: 8, 8, 8. 23kg: 11 lol form.

Lots of fuuu and lol today. Bench press, my elbow/forearm/bicep was jaffed in my left arm, no idea whats causing it but it's causing me issues in my workout. Really pleased with the 5x5x60kg this week though, I honestly thought it wasn't going to shift after the second set, but I made sure I was tight on every set and it seemed to work.

DB bench, 24's where(sp?) good, started to fail the setup on the 24's though so dropped down. The final set of the 22's was hilarious, I could hardly raise the DB's in to position to do to the lift, once there it's fine, it's just getting in to position I struggle with.

Tricep pull/push down....Heh, started the sets thinking it was 23kg, nooooooo, noticed a 2.3kg weight stuck on the top of the stack :rolleyes: oh well.

Not sure what to do about my elbow/bicep, I'm in need of a deload soon, so that may sort things.

Man of Honour
Wow, that's a wide stance! :eek:

Looks like Mr. G. Medialis needs some work to keep those knees out.

Also, pulling your bum back whilst 'torquing' from your hips (to keep your knees out) will do two things: keep your lower back from rounding, and help reduce forward shift of the weight.

One of the reasons some Olympiic lifters have quite a narrow stance with 'splayed' feet is to give them a very wide spread of their knees, helping them get lower without rounding out. My squat stance, for example, is only just wider than my shoulders to facilitate this. However, it's what works for you.

Still, seeing you get below parallel was almost beautiful. :) /nohomo.

Caporegime
OP
Wow, that's a wide stance! :eek:

Looks like Mr. G. Medialis needs some work to keep those knees out.

Also, pulling your bum back whilst 'torquing' from your hips (to keep your knees out) will do two things: keep your lower back from rounding, and help reduce forward shift of the weight.

One of the reasons some Olympiic lifters have quite a narrow stance with 'splayed' feet is to give them a very wide spread of their knees, helping them get lower without rounding out. My squat stance, for example, is only just wider than my shoulders to facilitate this. However, it's what works for you.

Still, seeing you get below parallel was almost beautiful. :) /nohomo.

Yeah ignore the wide stance, won't be going that wide again I doubt. I need to look up on your second paragraph regarding the torque part, unless you can put it in to simpleton terms :( Either way if it's going to help reduce rounding I'm all ears :p

EDIT: I have an idea on what to do actually, just need to do some more work at home or something.

Knees are coming forward a bit on the 2nd squat video, which see causing your heel to come up a bit.

Hm, that was due to testing the wider stance I guess, I'll get one next weak and check again...Although going by that, does it mean I don't have ankle mobility problems?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom