Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
OP
Back feels okay today, just the usual pains i get every day.

Also got my straps and dipping belt now :cool: time for some nice rdl's and bor's!!! Slowly add some weight to the dips now too.

Caporegime
OP
Monday January 28th: Chest Mondays - Time to squat
  • Mobility: various shoulder and leg stuff, some rdls with the bar
  • Squats: barxsome, 8x60kg, 4x80kg. 100kg: 3, 2(fail 3), 3.
  • Squats WS: 5x5x65kg. - Slow as sin
  • RDL: 70kgx5, 80kgx5, 90kgx5, 100kg: 5, 5 (100kg is strapped)
  • Front squats: 5x5x50kg.

Low on time today towards the end, I blame having to share the rack, even though my sets where quicker. Elbows felt good today, no pain, I added in an extra stretch/warmup before squats, hopefully helped (think it was some kind of external rotation jobby, will look it up later)

Second set of the 100kg squats was lol, that third rep just went completely wrong, I think I leaned too far forward and that was it. I need to come up with a plan for squats, either move the heavy sets to another day or the lighter sets to another day, because the lighter set is getting tarnished and I'm still ridiculously slow.

Video of sets two and three of the 100kg sets:

*exscuse lack of video cropping
*exscuse bum view
*exscuse poor camera angle

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Tuesday 29th January: Chest and triceps
  • Mobility: shoulder and leg mob
  • Barbell bench press: barxlots, 40kgx5, 50kgx5. WS: 2x5x60kg, 3x5x55kg.
  • Incline DB bench (low): 22's: 5, 5. 24's: 5, 5, 5. (!)
  • Cable fly: 18's: 5, 5. 23's: 3 then hnnnnngnope. 18's: 5, 5.
  • Dips: BWx5, +2.5kgx5, +5kgx5, 5. (woooooooop)
  • Tricep cable pushdown: 23kgx10, 18kg(strict) 10, 10. 14kg(strict) 10, 10.

Dropped the barbell bench down from 60kg to 55kg after a couple of sets, will start at 57.5kg next week - Still feels heavy as. DB bench I am pleased with, 22's felt heavy last week but I went on to the 24's this week and I'm pleased I did, felt very comfortable.

Cable flys made me laugh, the 23kg just didn't want to shify past a certain point, and I didn't fancy sticking my shoulder in a compromising position, so stuck to 18kg per hand.

Dips, yeah baby! Pretty pleased with those, nice to add some weight, think I'll start on +2.5kg next week, and just keep hammering it.

Can't moan, still slipped about on the bench even in my vest, so ended up wrapping bands around the bench for more grip, worked well.

Soldato
Barbell Bench: You didn't fail a set but moved the weight down? Why?

Dips: Why not just try +5kg for working sets? Stop pyramiding sets as you can't find what your working set is comfortably.

There just doesn't seem to be much method behind your weights. They just randomly go up and down. You need to actually push yourself.

Regarding previous deadlift form:
IMO you're still not getting tight and your hips are moving before the weight does every single rep.

Regarding squats:
Failed on 2nd set and 3rd set lacked depth. Which implies your lighter set probably isn't light enough to work on speed, especially when fatigued.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Barbell Bench: You didn't fail a set but moved the weight down? Why?

Dips: Why not just try +5kg for working sets? Stop pyramiding sets as you can't find what your working set is comfortably.

There just doesn't seem to be much method behind your weights. They just randomly go up and down. You need to actually push yourself.

Regarding previous deadlift form:
IMO you're still not getting tight and your hips are moving before the weight does every single rep.

Regarding squats:
Failed on 2nd set and 3rd set lacked depth. Which implies your lighter set probably isn't light enough to work on speed, especially when fatigued.

Ta for the feedback mate :)

Bench:there was no spotter to hand, and after two sets I knew my form was going to be compromised, going by previous attempts this means I bring my shoulder forward which in turn breaks it for the rest of the week.

Dips: first time with adding weight and I didn't know what was a good weight to use, hence testing the waters. Next week onwards I will be adding weight as and when.

Can agree on the deadlifts, my butt has a tendency to lift, just need to nail chest up and remember it as I keep forgetting.

Yep, squat depth I struggle with, I'm intending to get it looked at again properly when ice is more available to see if there is anything else going on that is stopping me from driving out of the hole properly. As I've said though, I may move the lighter set to a different day so I can actually work on it properly.

What you need to remember, if my barbell bench needs work and I've only recently re-introduced it :) I generally have had problems with my shoulders doing this and I don't want to put excess strain on it, there just isn't any point in it currently.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thursday 31st January: shoulders and core
  • Mobility: shoulders, front and side raises with 2.5kg
  • BB OHP: 10xbar, 4x25kg. 37.5kg: 5, 5, 5, 4 (fail rep 5). 35kgx5.
  • Seated DB OHP: 5x5x18's
  • Cable front raise: superset with below: 6.8kg=12, 10, 10.
  • Cable side raise: superset with above: 6.8kg=10. 4.5kg=10, 10.
  • Cable rear delt: 6.8kg= 10, 10, 10.
  • Below supersetted:
  • TRX rollout: 3x8.
  • Single arm OHP with kettle bell: 3x10x8kg

OHP is destroying me, exactly the same as last week. Seated press is miles different than Arnold press as well.

Trx roll outs are however awesome :cool:

Third set 5th rep on OHP was interesting, ended up stepping back, managed to keep it for the lockout though

Last edited:
Soldato
Well yes, they're different because they're different exercises :p

Stepping back on OHP implies you're losing the bar behind you, so you need to keep your glutes and core tight tight tight. Otherwise you'll hyperextend and bye bye backywacky.

Soldato
Get a vid up if you can :) You should be pushing the bar straight up and them shift body underneath it when the bar is past your head, like in Monkee's vid.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's not much scope to lower the reps when he's already working on 5x5 :p

Delvis' shoulders are very far behind the rest of his development due to injury and neglect, I dare say it's gonna take a lot of pushing to make them catch up.

Caporegime
OP
Well yes, they're different because they're different exercises :p

Stepping back on OHP implies you're losing the bar behind you, so you need to keep your glutes and core tight tight tight. Otherwise you'll hyperextend and bye bye backywacky.

They are indeed ;) A lot less pre-push involved.

Thanks dude, I've got better at them as my back used to hurt with them, now they don't (that could be just due to my back getting better overall though)

Get a vid up if you can :) You should be pushing the bar straight up and them shift body underneath it when the bar is past your head, like in Monkee's vid.

Will try next week, Syla5 hates me and only wants to train with me on Mondays and Fridays :(

Generally, that is what I try and do, it was on my later sets so I guess I was fatiguing anyway. Hopefully the other rack will be free next week as there is a nice window legde to plop the camera on.

Increase the weight if you want to get stronger - just lower the reps.

Cheers. Think I'll carry on with 5x5 for a bit then potentially drop to 3's if I get stuck.

There's not much scope to lower the reps when he's already working on 5x5 :p

Delvis' shoulders are very far behind the rest of his development due to injury and neglect, I dare say it's gonna take a lot of pushing to make them catch up.

Completely agree, ever since I screwed it up in 2010 it's not been the same and I've been unable to train them properly/use them day to day, they are however a fair whack better hence being able to actually train shoulders separately for once. They are coming along now thankfully :)

Caporegime
OP
Wha! HUH! YEAH! What iiiiiis he good at! Absolutely NOTHING!

Friday 1st February: Back
  • Mobility: usual shoulder stuff, some hamstring and aductor work, x-band walks etc.
  • Deads: RDL with the bar, 70kgx6+, 90kgx3, 100kgx1.
  • Deads WS: 3x5x122.5kg. Dropset: 10x70kg (5mixed, 5 doh)
  • SAR: 24kgx7, 5x5x28kg.
  • Assisted pull up (32kg): 3x5 (lool, need to work on these)
  • Lat pull down: 5x5x52kg

Back day always takes ages, tried to get there a bit earlier today but alas. My pull-up strength is hilarious, it doesn't help that I did deadlifts and rows before hand, so can't moan. Will hit those along with lat pulldowns and see how it all goes.

Vid to follow for deads.

Back
Top Bottom