Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Associate
How can you get a PB on a deload?! :p

you need to train like Delvis!

Good going anyway matey, progression always required sometime.

now..if you can only 1 rep 67Kg...why dont you do a couple of sets of pressups to failure every day at home? This would no doubt improve what you can push more quickly than bemch 1 times a week in the gym. Just sayin....

Caporegime
OP
I decided to see what my bench is like prior to starting the first cycle, by doing so, my 1rm it was going to be calculated by was 5kg off.

Cheers toxic, I've not tried 1rms on bench since summer, hence the above happening to the prior cycle. As said, I didn't exactly struggle it up. I may look in to that, main thing putting me off is my right pec is still tight along with my shoulder still not being 100% so I tend to leave it so it can recover.

Caporegime
OP
Honestly, this new anti-training routine you have atm baffles me!

Ice and Dom have disappeared so it seems Delvis is imploding!

They've not actually said anything about me starting 5/3/1, so not sure how that's of any relevance. The only thing ice has been 'involved' with is my deadlifts reps as I was having issues doing high reps, then doing some lighter squats sets to work on depth and speed.

Soldato
It was more because he told you what rep ranges to hit squats and deadlifts, he gave you a structure of sorts and you followed it. Now you're on a deload PB week, I'm just hoping you've done a lot of reading up and preparation in to 531, and you're all spreadsheeted up to the eyeballs, 'cause it's not the sort of programme you can just bluff your way through.

Soldato
I am kinda confused by the choice of 5/3/1 over actually giving strong lifts a go. Strong lifts would give you the opportunity to really work on your speed/explosiveness to start with, and forces you to progress. 5/3/1 gets you going from the start, there's no build up, 4 weeks in your pushing new rep maxes or your falling on your ass because you cant keep up with it.

Soldato
now..if you can only 1 rep 67Kg...why dont you do a couple of sets of pressups to failure every day at home? This would no doubt improve what you can push more quickly than bemch 1 times a week in the gym. Just sayin....

Hmm, interesting question, up to what kind of 1RM would you recommend doing this? Might start trying this.

I am kinda confused by the choice of 5/3/1 over actually giving strong lifts a go. Strong lifts would give you the opportunity to really work on your speed/explosiveness to start with, and forces you to progress. 5/3/1 gets you going from the start, there's no build up, 4 weeks in your pushing new rep maxes or your falling on your ass because you cant keep up with it.

I love stronglifts, but I can understand wanting to take a break from it for a while because of the sheer amount of time spent on legs, that said, I'm not sure whether Delvis tried it? To be fair though, 5/3/1 is a recognised program, and should have some benefit.

kd

Caporegime
OP
5/3/1 can also be adjusted, all depends on what you put for your starting 1rms, and if you struggle, you just adjust things, same as any other program.

If I fall on my ass I fall on my ass, things happen, at the end of the day I'm willing to try things and if I make a mistake doing it then hey, lesson learned. :)

Man of Honour
The main lifts of 5/3/1 cannot be adjusted that's part of the programme. IF you follow the triumvirate version then the subsidiary exercises are really useful for pushing you and doing a lot of stability/single leg/arm/bodyweight work.

Just be sure to set your 1RMs realistically, and plug in how much you want to increase per cycle. For you I'd say no more than 2.5kg per cycle.

And a deload, is a deload - you do 50% of the weights - the spreadsheet tells you, and 1/2 the volume.

The key is to nail the 5 reps, 3 reps, and go all out on the last and heaviest set to really push your body.

Caporegime
OP
The main lifts of 5/3/1 cannot be adjusted that's part of the programme. IF you follow the triumvirate version then the subsidiary exercises are really useful for pushing you and doing a lot of stability/single leg/arm/bodyweight work.

Just be sure to set your 1RMs realistically, and plug in how much you want to increase per cycle. For you I'd say no more than 2.5kg per cycle.

And a deload, is a deload - you do 50% of the weights - the spreadsheet tells you, and 1/2 the volume.

The key is to nail the 5 reps, 3 reps, and go all out on the last and heaviest set to really push your body.

Cheers FF :)

You misunderstand my post though, by adjusting I was referring to the 1rm's that calculate the spreadsheet at the start and the weekly increase. Naturally as you say I have put in realistic 1rm's which is why I went for a slight increase on the bench PB (as it was previously going to be 62.5kg, now it's 67.5kg, which proves it was going to be too low)

For increases I'm doing 5kg on squat and deadlift, 2.5kg on bench and shoulder press. I may however shift them all down to 2.5kg as you say, I'll have to see how the first cycle goes and go from there.

Yep, spreadsheet has all the deloads calculated as you say, so can't really go wrong there. /inb4unlessyouaredelvisofcourse

Oh, and I have version 1.3 by Jon K / Poteto, same as LiE and Deception I believe.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to get some sensible starting numbers for your first cycle re-test your current maxes this week, knock off 10% then plum them in to the spreadsheet, which will again knock off another 10%. This will make your first cycle lighter then you could probably manage, but really use this to your advantage and work on speed and explosiveness, not just the +set volume, because in theroy you should hit that with ease.
At the end of your first cycle it might be worth then using your old rep maxes as the numbers to put in to the spreadsheet, because that would have been your theoretical start point for cycle 1.

Also dont forget, using submaximal weight training is not a bad thing at all, as long as you benefit on the points of using light weight (engraning the movement, being explosive, POWAH)

After the 2nd cycle you should easily be able to deal with the 5kg squat/dl and 2.5kg bench/ohp increases.

Caporegime
OP
Wednesday 13th February: Shoulders - deload
  • Mobility
  • OHP: barx10, barx5, 5x5x27.5kg.
  • OH Alternate DB press: 5x5x12.5's
  • Cable front raises: 3x12x4.5kg
  • Cable side raises: 3c8x4.5kg
  • Cable rear delt flye: 3x8x4.8kg
  • Pallof press: 3x8x18kg
  • Reverse crunch: 10xbw, 10x4-ball, 10x3-ball.

I'm presuming the balls on the reverse crunches are in KG, it didn't actually say.

Decent session, ohp was weird seeing as my working weight last week wasn't that much more than the bar really.

Love rear delt flyes with the cables, need to sort out the correct height but I'll have a play next week again.

Deadlifts tomorrow. Nom.

Caporegime
OP
I'm surprised that your BB overhead is so close to the alternate DB tbh.

As Deception said.

OHP working weight last week was 5x5x37.5kg.

Alternate DB press last week I did 18's for 4, then 4x5 with 16's.

Before that, I did 5x5x18's on seated DB press.

As previously mentioned though, my shoulders are extremely weak due to injury.

Back
Top Bottom