Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
OP
Just using 40kg for the first cycle, then I need to decide whether to test 1RM's again, or use my current 1RM's and bump up the OHP. Seeing as I stall on it anyway, probably best not to increase it too soon otherwise I'll just stall.

EDIT:

First cycle I'm doing the following for 1RM's:
  • Squat 100
  • Deadlift 135
  • Bench 62.5
  • OHP 40

Then I either up as I said or leave them until the end of cycle 2.

***Just to note, these are lower than my current 1RM's so I can get a feel of the program and see if they are too much or not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What will be your weight increase per cycle for each exercise?

From 1st to second I'm just going to use 2.5kg after some thinking. Then for cycle three I'll probably up Squat and deads to 5kg.

I'm not on about the actual number pressed, I'm on about the percentage difference between DB and BB :)

No idea mate? My OHP is terrible

Caporegime
OP
Its a sticking point for many people that, if you were to go from just below the chin you would find it easier and probably press more, but that wouldnt help you out of the sticking point :(

Indeed :( Once there is momentum it's fine, just that first rep is a right bugger without any leg drive what so ever :p

Soldato
From 1st to second I'm just going to use 2.5kg after some thinking. Then for cycle three I'll probably up Squat and deads to 5kg.

....really +2.5kg to squat and DL rep maxes every 4 weeks even for you is going to be pointless.

Cycle 1 use the weights as you have outlined.
(reason, to bed in the routine and work on speed/explosiveness as has been advised)

Cycle 2 use your current rep maxes (as of now)
(reason, this is how you should start cycle 1)

Cycle 3 + add 5kg to squat and DL and 2.5kg for bench and deads.
(reason, this is how the program works to progress you)

stick to that and you will be fine.

Stop trying to over think it, confuse yourself, and get lost in the spiral of non progression due to not sticking to a program as it is outlined.

Soldato
So it's gonna take 4 weeks of work to see a 2.5kg or 5kg increase? I'm sure I can get that on a hypertrophy routine, this seems ridiculously slow at these weights.

Soldato
Adding weight. After completing each mesocycle, add 10 pounds to your squat and deadlift 1RM, and recalculate your percentages.

Don't see why you would do a strength based routine with set progression and then just ruin it by adding tiny amounts of weight, which you could add with any old routine.

Soldato
But LiE benches 160 and Deadlift's over 200kg. It's exponentially more difficult to add strength at this level, and I've always thought that is what 531 is aimed at.

Back
Top Bottom