Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

LiE why are you congratulating him for this?

m8 im gonna cut you

He's started a new program with progressive loading, using some conservative numbers. 125x8 may well have been his 8RM, which you can't expect to beat/build on every session.

Recent example is my paused bench press. In Dec I did 130x5 x2, which was pretty much the max I could do. The last 3 weeks I've been doing 120-127.5x5 for 3 sets. Then, this week I increased the weight and set a PB.

I wasn't really giving my congratulations, I was pointing out that 8 reps in week 3 is good, even if the weight is a little less than his all time 8RM.

cos Sylas told him to lower it iirc

not quite, he was concerned about form, and speed/explosiveness and he sugguested going lower so he could get used to the program for cycle 1 while still working on form. I said he should retest at the end of cycle 1, or boost the numbers to his current rep maxes for cycle 2.

Why? So it would be easier?

see above.

Lifting isnt all about increasing the numbers. Lift with bad form and your gonna snap your **** up. Delvis doesnt want to do that, you guys might, many dont. Thats not my input, that has been his goal for most of this year, speed, improve form, explosiveness. Clearly your missing his log posts about that and just looking at the numbers.

m8 im gonna cut you

He's started a new program with progressive loading, using some conservative numbers. 125x8 may well have been his 8RM, which you can't expect to beat/build on every session.

Recent example is my paused bench press. In Dec I did 130x5 x2, which was pretty much the max I could do. The last 3 weeks I've been doing 120-127.5x5 for 3 sets. Then, this week I increased the weight and set a PB.

I wasn't really giving my congratulations, I was pointing out that 8 reps in week 3 is good, even if the weight is a little less than his all time 8RM.
this

No offence, but that all sounds like a load of **** to me.

If you a program like that, do it properly. Don't lower the 1RM to make it easier for yourself, or to help with form. If your forms not good enough, don't start a program like Wendler. Delvis' form is plenty good enough not to worry about it

Delvis your DL'ing is srsly top notch, it blows my mind that your squat doesn't translate. You have one of the 'hippiest' DL forms on the boards, there's a big 1RM in there somewhere if you ever MTFU and try it.

Dat hip hinge ping.

If you're strugglling with hitting parralell I re-discovered the stronglifts hip/hamstring stretch vid. Boshed out a couple of sets of these last night and haven't ever felt such a comprehensive hamstring stretch tbh.

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-hip-flexibility-exercise/

No offence, but that all sounds like a load of **** to me.

If you a program like that, do it properly. Don't lower the 1RM to make it easier for yourself, or to help with form. If your forms not good enough, don't start a program like Wendler. Delvis' form is plenty good enough not to worry about it

It's tricky. I agree doing Wendler while your form isn't spot on is probably not very effective, it's not the best place to correct it. Lowering the weight to work on form is fine. We can't all do super back round snaps ;)

Last edited:
It's tricky. I agree doing Wendler while your form isn't spot on is probably not very effective, it's not the best place to correct it. Lowering the weight to work on form is fine. We can't all do super back round snaps and quad snap squats ;)

You cheeky **** :D

And that's why I never train for such programs, strength or size based. Anything that requires super strict form to progress in a set way, I'm never going to succeed at. I'll never have the best form, nor will I ever have the best numbers in weight. Do I care? Hardly

Sure I'd love perfect form, and sure I'd love to be able to rep out heavier weights, but everyone's different. I have to adapt my training to accommodate my flaws in strength and form, which is why I do more isolation and more volume. It works for me and it's one reason that I'm probably in no hurry to correct my form. One day I may pay the price and get an injury, and that's the risk I take, but every time you go in the gym you're at risk of injury. Look at Scott, probably the best form of the entire forum, yet snapped his hamstrings up doing deads, then there's me, back like a banana walking away like it's nothing. Go figure

Scott actually lifts proper weights :p

I'm happy with a certain level of form break, it happens when the weights go up and weaknesses become apparent. I think if you have a previous injury due to that bad form you'll be further exposed to injury again, perhaps that's what Delvis is doing here. Take my squats for example. My hip was getting destroyed from squats because my knees kept collapsing at heavy weights. I've spent several months working on that and now I'm good.

Also, good form allows you to lift more, which means more gains.

To be fair, the programme calls for 1 rep to be left in the tank, which is what that set looked like to me. From this point onwards, there is no way he can't hit PBs.

Form still looks pretty good Delvis!

Losing your upper back might well be helped by the rowing variants you're introducing. Make sure you get a big scap pinch with a slight pause at the top of your reps.

Oh, and good lord your gym is full of phaggots.

Dat hip hinge ping.

If you're strugglling with hitting parralell I re-discovered the stronglifts hip/hamstring stretch vid. Boshed out a couple of sets of these last night and haven't ever felt such a comprehensive hamstring stretch tbh.

http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-hip-flexibility-exercise/

Cheers Benny, will have a read :)

To be fair, the programme calls for 1 rep to be left in the tank, which is what that set looked like to me. From this point onwards, there is no way he can't hit PBs.

Form still looks pretty good Delvis!

Losing your upper back might well be helped by the rowing variants you're introducing. Make sure you get a big scap pinch with a slight pause at the top of your reps.

Oh, and good lord your gym is full of phaggots.

Chain gym mate :cool: Not even many hotties in there which is annoying.

Hopefully they do help, it really irks me. Would you recommend I change single arm rows to something else by the way?

Last edited:
Scott actually lifts proper weights :p

But bro, you keep having that dig at me about proper weights, granted my weights are way down on yours and probably always will be, it just will never happen with me in terms of being able to lift the weights you do at the rep range I need too, to get the results I want. And I think even if I could lift the weights you do, my body just doesn't respond to lower reps, I respond best to high volume.

I mean your achievements in terms of the weight you lift is nothing short of amazing, but I'm sure you'll agree, you saying "able to lift more which means more gains" isn't completely true. Your back is monstrous, granted, but your chest in relation to your bench and pressing movements doesn't quite match up, same with your quads when looking at your squats, in fact you've even said before your quads are quite poor against the rest of you. This isn't me having a dig, it's just trying to prove a point that for me, trying to life proper weights isn't necessarily what I should be aiming for

I'm happy being in awe of you, Scott and Dom, but for me to try and get there, the motivation and need just isn't there

Obviously wasn't serious about proper weights, the weights ice lifts require a special kind of medication. You lift as much as you need to for your gains. Improving form will mean you can lift more weight for reps, which surely translates to more gains.

The trick is to look like you can't lift, then lift heavy ass ****.

Cheers Benny, will have a read :)

Chain gym mate :cool: Not even many hotties in there which is annoying.

Hopefully they do help, it really irks me. Would you recommend I change single arm rows to something else by the way?

Ice may have a different or similar suggestion. But I quite like wide grip BOR, the same grip you'll use for bench (for me middle fingers on the rings). T-Bar's could help also.

Getting a good pinch on a wide grip BOR is tough work but rewarding. I normally do BOR with a shoulder width grip pulling my elbows back against my sides (focusing on lats) but a wide grip is a whole different lift.

Hm okay, could add it on the end as I already do standard grip bors...Otherwise I may be able to emulate T-Bar rows at the gym as we have a station for Land mines, just no decent T-Bar attachment I don't think.

Hm okay, could add it on the end as I already do standard grip bors...Otherwise I may be able to emulate T-Bar rows at the gym as we have a station for Land mines, just no decent T-Bar attachment I don't think.

I usualy just use a close grip row handle slung under an oly bar (with one end against a wall/corner with a dumbell over that end to pin it down).

Missed the entire last two pages somehow! :mad:

This is getting slightly off topic, so I'll answer Delvis' question first: No, keep the SAR and aim for a pause on that too.

Monkee, I actually completely agree with you that Delvis needs to push himself, but he is just about to start his second 4 week cycle of 531 where he'll almost certainly be hitting PBs. I think he was correct to be slightly cautious, maybe not 10kg off his max though...

Stoodles, since you quite rightly like to point out where other people's attitude towards lifting isn't ideal, I'm going to return the favour!

Finding justifications to continue using form you know to be bad is a terrible way to approach training. I'm not talking about the final couple of % of nuance that I might sometimes talking about or point out, you know that you have big breaks in form.

However, some of your justifications are very reasonable, at least on the surface.

Yes, there are risks in the gym whether your form is good or not. The injuries I've had have not been related to poor form, apart from my shoulder issues which are the legacy of training like a **** in the beginning. ALL of my injuries have been preventable though. This holds true for most people, but for most people their injuries ARE due to poor form. I'm sure you remember how painful me working on your pec was, well that's an indication of extremely poor tissue quality. If muscle that jaffed up is loaded poorly or overstretched it will just pop and go one day. Muscles get messed up like this from chronic over use in poor positions. Sometimes this can't be helped (leg length discrepancies, for example), but largely it can be.

Another perhaps more relevant factor with messed up muscle tissue is that it can't work as hard. This has implications for strength, but also massively affects hypertrophy.

Good form and good tissue equality allows your muscles to exert their full contraction potential over a set. This factor is additive with being able to use greater load on exercises due to working joint systems in an optimal fashion. More load = more stress = more adaptation, as you know.

Matt is actually both a good and poor example of this. I guarantee that the actual mass in his pecs reflects the numbers he's benching. This isn't obvious because of his shoulder and thoracic spine positioning. But these positions have allowed him be be exceptionally strong and train like a beast for years, which is a very rare thing indeed. On the other side of that coin, I suspect that his legs look small compared to his squat because a) his huge back can compensate to some extent, and b) for the same reason my legs don't look big; our quads have only grown as big as they need to. The mass on my legs is in my glutes, hamstrings and adductors, but that is a product of the technique that I use.

I'm not trying to frame an argument that you MUST change your mind here. If you're happy with what you're doing then great. I do think that you're lucky to some extent, in that you can make progress without good technique because of how you are able to train for your goals. However, this style of training also makes it very easy to correct things. I guarantee that you'll be able to get a reasonable amount of fatigue doing corrective work, apart from on deadlift. In fact you'd probably find that you laid some delicious new lean gains down in certain areas rapidly because of the change in stimulus (I find this happens in my mid back). You could spend some time sacrificing ~15% stress on certain exercises while still destroying yourself with other stuff.

ALSO, don't think that this means you're allowed to get away with avoiding a Powerlifting Pasting at Iffley :mad:

Missed the entire last two pages somehow! :mad:

This is getting slightly off topic, so I'll answer Delvis' question first: No, keep the SAR and aim for a pause on that too.

Cool, I'll carry on as I am for the time being then assistance work wise, cheers :)

Oh, I also emailed you again as my Gmail account seemed to corrupt the last message <3

Back
Top Bottom