Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

I'll give you my physio's number when he's back from India.

Man is a legend and a very enthusiastic brutalist, as he's a (wannabe! ;) ) bodybuilder himself, so he knows what works and doesn't with lifters.

Well stretch the truth a little bit. Say even putting your seat belt on causes you pain, reaching things from a super market shelf etc. Honestly, it sounds like you've whinged about your shoulders for bloody years, tried doing some soft tissue work and it's just not doing it.

You've got a strong deadlift but a pathetically weak bench press, and it's going to stay that way unless you actively pursue fixing your shoulder health.

To be fair it does hurt getting things off shelves sometimes, I just get on with it as most people would say here if I moaned about that.

And yes, I've had a crap shoulder since 2010, it cleared up a bit, then I did it in again a couple of months ago.

To be fair it does hurt getting things off shelves sometimes, I just get on with it as most people would say here if I moaned about that.

And yes, I've had a crap shoulder since 2010, it cleared up a bit, then I did it in again a couple of months ago.

To be fair, buddy, I had horrific acute lumbar pain for around 3-5 years (I can't remember when it started, but remember it throughout my previous job) before seeing my current group of physios. I just assumed it sucked and I'd have to take painkillers and deal.

A decent physio is worth his/her weight in gold. I'd save up for a trip to ice's wizard.

You've got a strong deadlift

ZOMG complement!!!

always taking the posatives :D

Serisouly though, i have to agree with MoNkeE here, i think you need to be pushing things a little harder on bench, and at least be trying OHP, if not you should be doing a variant, such as Single DB Press , where you can really focus on the movement.
Take what you learnt from fixing your back and apply it to your shoulders, and, well, you cant go wrong realy, just look at your back related lifts now ;)

A decent physio is worth his/her weight in gold. I'd save up for a trip to ice's wizard.

That's the plan.

Syla5, I can only push my bench as much as my shoulder will allow me. Much like your RDL, you could lift a heavier weight, but if you do it hurts your back.

I was pushing everything hard at the start of the year, then I snapped my shoulder up again, its really not that hard to grasp :p

actually my RDL is not about it hurting my back, its about feeling the movement in the correct muscles. My lower back takes over when i go heavy on RDL's and the movement is hamstring specific so if i cant feel it in my hammies, whats the point?

Anyway, you will get there, just apply some of the mentality you did with DL's and Squats, it seems theres a subconcious block to do with your shoulder. You will get there mate.

I've told Delvis not to load his shoulder with movements that hurt. The nature of AC joint destabilisation is that it is only fixable up to a certain point in it's progression. After than point, it's downhill into permanent snap city. No more pressing at all, and pain/discomfort for the rest of his life.

I've told Delvis not to load his shoulder with movements that hurt. The nature of AC joint destabilisation is that it is only fixable up to a certain point in it's progression. After than point, it's downhill into permanent snap city. No more pressing at all, and pain/discomfort for the rest of his life.

I think people are trying to understand what is actually wrong here, as based on what Delvis is saying, the advice from more then one professional has been that there is nothing obviously wrong with the shoulder (forgive me if my memory is fubar, and actually it was your back that they couldnt find an issue with)

As we all know the varying levels of advice that gets spouted about by those we consider professional's is shocking, and i am not saying that the professional is correct. However the mind is a very powerful inhibitor and maybe, just maybe, there actually is nothing wrong, and developing strength while maintaining the health of the area could well be the correct thing to do.

I think people are trying to understand what is actually wrong here, as based on what Delvis is saying, the advice from more then one professional has been that there is nothing obviously wrong with the shoulder (forgive me if my memory is fubar, and actually it was your back that they couldnt find an issue with)

As we all know the varying levels of advice that gets spouted about by those we consider professional's is shocking, and i am not saying that the professional is correct. However the mind is a very powerful inhibitor and maybe, just maybe, there actually is nothing wrong, and developing strength while maintaining the health of the area could well be the correct thing to do.

Going to a physio who is familiar with resistance training movements is one thing; going to a physio who is familiar with old/obese people is something else. And that's before we get on to GPs...

There will be a psych element to this - no doubt (nobody suffers for three years and does not) - but if it hurts, there will be a reason. GPs and OAP physios will not be sufficiently familiar with the shoulder joint and resistance training to understand what is happening or how/why the movement arc/whatever is painful.

Go to a physio that knows their onions, and the help will be much more forthcoming and productive.

Then to be fair AGVT is not for you if you have all these issues.

What would you do then? Not train?

This is exactly what happened when I started 531, I've just got to work with what I can. I either do AGVT, or some other low rep high set programming.

I've always had some kind of issue, but it doesn't stop me at least trying :)

Back
Top Bottom