Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Patrick the Wizard: part 2
Well, after today's antics with my back the first thing we did was click it in to oblivion, he looked at how I setup for a deadlifts and how I pull, apparently I might be loading my L3 (I think it was that) by the way I'm pulling, so he's suggested I almost push my knees back to load the hamstrings a bit (while keeping my torso and pelvis aligned) - shall give it a go, being honest, when I try and push from the floor and keep my butt down, I get quite big lower back pump, which is purely uncomfortable.

So, the shoulder. My pec and everything around it got pillaged, my PRC was basically glued to my chest so we loosened that up a load, then moved on to the shoulder and moved it in every direction, rotation with resistance etc. After that, I might be making it up but my teres minor? Was like a solid bit of wood, so we pulled out the needles.

Got some info on how to warm my shoulders up and a bit of rehab stuff, also doing some funky flute bridges as my right foot is rotated *thumbs up*

We're going to leave it a couple of weeks and go from there. Ah yes, also showed me how to actually keep everything in the correct position for pressing movements, so I'm basically relearning again.

Shoulder session tomorrow, which will be interesting :X

Pulling knees back? Sounds like a first pull. :cool:

You would probably really benefit from some Olympic stuff...

Good work on the shoulder, too!

I don't know if I explained it properly, but possibly? Can you elaborate? :)

By pulling how I'm pulling, keeping hips down and basically squatting up, as well as due to my anatomy (lol torso/leg ratio) its loading my l3.

Yeah, primary reason for going is my shoulder, getting my back tweaked a bit is a definite bonus.

Friday 21st June: Shoulders
  • Shoulder warm up, not bad.
  • Seated DB press WU: 2x10x6kg, 10x10kg.
  • Seated DB press WS: 2 x 10 x 16's
  • Seated DB front raise: 3 x 12 x 8's
  • OHP: Bar x 10, 2 x 10 x 22.5kg
  • Seated side laterals: 3 x 15 x 6's
  • Cable rear delt: 3 x 15 x 13.6kg
  • Seated DB curls: 12kg x 8, 14kg x 8, 12kg x 8, 10kg x 8.
  • EZ Bar: 3 x 10 x Bar+15kg

Shoulder held up reasonably well, most aggro was during front raises. Seated DB curls do a bit as well, only when the last few reps are a struggle, just need to keep everything pinned.

I don't know if I explained it properly, but possibly? Can you elaborate? :)

By pulling how I'm pulling, keeping hips down and basically squatting up, as well as due to my anatomy (lol torso/leg ratio) its loading my l3.

Yeah, primary reason for going is my shoulder, getting my back tweaked a bit is a definite bonus.

I'll post here for you and ice to see, purely because ice has seen you lift and will have a better idea of what my suggestion may or may not do for you (I.e. can tell you if this would not be a good idea or whatever)... :D

One of the things required from the first pull of a snatch or clean is a stable pelvis-torso alignment: you will see in all slow motion clips of world class Olympic lifters is how stable their pelvis-torso-shoulder alignment is during the first pull. In other words, after setup, they lift the bar with their hamstrings pretty much alone, whilst keeping their upper body at the same angle.

Requirements are uber core strength and epic control. As well as crazy hamstrings. :)

So I would suggest you go in for some first pulls as an exercise, as well as (eventually) SLDLs as a second stage from first pull to upright.

For the first pull of a clean, you need to do the following (feel free to add/whatever):

- Bar just around midfoot;
- Top down set up for starters (big breath in, lock your core off with your spine in a good neutral position and a big chest). Head straight forward;
- Give your knees a 5-10 degree bend keeping your torso straight;
- Hip hinge and sit back, pushing your bum as far back as it will go. You will feel a massive pull in your hamstrings the first time you do this;
- Once you're at your limit, this will be your torso's starting position. You must not move it from here;
- Bend your knees a bit more to find the bar. Your torso should still be at the same angle.
- Hook grip. And don't be a pussy. Anybody can do this. You think the smallest men's category in weightlifting get to use the ladies' bar? Nope. So just do it. ;)
- once you have a good hold on the bar, make sure your core is locked hard. Getting to this point consistently will take a fair bit of practice, but what doesn't?
- Take the strain...
- Keeping your torso and hips in the same position, pull your knees back by pulling against your heels. You will notice a massive pull on your shoulders, but if you set up properly, this won't be a problem.
- Once you have pulled your knees all the way back to the point where your legs are almost (but not quite) straight, you hold and then lower the bar simply by letting your knees come forward. Keep your hips and torso locked.

You will probably have to do this with a much lower weight than you are used to deadlifting simply because the movement is so odd.

However, this should get you used to keeping a rigid core under load (concentrate on keeping your pelvic-torso alignment static under load, rather than changing it as you would with a regular deadlift with the glute 'push').

This is just my suggestion without getting close and personal. I will see about getting a video so you can see what I am talking about.

Either way, youtube 'clean first pull' for much better examples than I could ever manage. :D

If you really want to see what your lumbar is made of, play with a snatch first pull. ;)

Hope this makes sense...

So I'm not locking out at all? Literally straightening my legs (almost) then reversing the movement? I'm guessing you don't pause at all at the top? :)

I'm intending on going in for a but today, so will try with some light weight. Thank you for the right up though mate, really appreciated!

You can lock out if you want (from a deadlift perspective, once you et to the top of the first pull, it's just an SLDL to upright), but the purpose of the exercise is to get used to pulling with your hamstrings, and to REALLY lock your core off to minimise loading on your lumbar.

Because the movement is more precise than a regular deadlift, you really have to concentrate on getting it right, which means you should become much more aware of what is going on with your body as you lift.

I tend to use the exercise slightly differently: I pull my knees back hard to generate as much power as possible whilst keeping my torso locked off. The thing I need to practice is preventing myself from rocking as my torso takes the strain. I also don't currently put the bar down between reps, either, to really make sure my hamstrings and core know how bad they have been. :D

Think I'm understanding. So the idea is to pull back (so you start to move up) but keep your pelvis/torso/shoulders in the same position, then before your knees completely lock out do an SL;DL like finisher?

Saturday 22nd June: Back
  • Mobility: hams, shoulders
  • RDL x 10 x bar
  • Deads:
  1. 70kg x some, x some paused at top
  2. 70kg x 5 (Vid: 0.10-40)
  3. 90kg x 1 (Vid: 0.40-56)
  4. 110kg x 1 (Vid: 0.56-1.14)
  5. 130kg x 1 (Vid: 1.14-1.34)
  6. 140kg x 1 (Vid: 1.34-2.01)
  7. 155kg x f, f. (Vid: 2.01 1st try / 2.55 2ns try)
  • BOR: 3 x 12 x 50kg
  • SAR: 3 x 10 x 26kg

Simple session, just felt like going in considering how poor my back session was the other day, also wanted to try some new things out with regards to my setup to see if it helps my back.

Well, deadlifts, they went well in all honesty, despite the failures at the end, the new setup seems to help with back aggro, just need to keep it all tight - Video will be uploading shortly, along with the failed 155.

Video:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom