Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Paused squats? :D

These are great.

I'd start with something like 50% 1RM and see how your positioning goes... work up to somthing like 75% for a 3 count (or 8 count. :D)...

The low weight will help you get a feeling for your position under load, whilst being light enough to alter it without too much craziness going on. It's also murder on the core... :)

Just swap it for regular squats one day.

If you do it properly, you will:

a) Certainly not feel like you've missed a training session and
b) Squat better as a result.

What's not to like?

Yeah :)

I just hate going back, hence wanting to keep it separate. I'll have a play next week.

What do you think of squats starting at the bottom? Or is that pointless?

Yeah :)

I just hate going back, hence wanting to keep it separate. I'll have a play next week.

What do you think of squats starting at the bottom? Or is that pointless?

Dude... better get it sorted now that bed in with something that holds you back later... or now.

My Olympic lifting coach suggested 'pin' squats to me, where the athlete squats to rest the bar on the pins/catchers, get their position right and then drives up.

This takes all the stored elastic tension on the muscles, requiring massive power generation from scratch (useful for Olympic lifters, as you can probably guess), and forces bottom position into a better place, (assuming it works of course).

I just get frustrated :D

I think I'll do next weeks squats as usual then play with paused. Seeing the physio tonight as well and he has some views on the paused stuff ice and dom do so I'll see what he thinks as well as it will be interesting :)

On your deads, you let the weight drop to the ground. The fact I am trying to lower the bar slowly in controlled, is that what might be causing me discomfort in my lower back?
Depends on your shapes when you lower it.

Controlling the negative of a deadlift adds fatigue more than most things in the gym, and if your positioning is off then you'll fry something.

Depends on your shapes when you lower it.

Controlling the negative of a deadlift adds fatigue more than most things in the gym, and if your positioning is off then you'll fry something.

Sorry for the O/T (kind of) Delvis.

But, is there any issue with just dropping the bar? I find my form breaks like mad during deadlifts and recently have been getting lazy and just dropping it to prevent the lower back pain it seems to cause.

There isn't really anything wrong with it, but there are a few considerations.

1) Will you miss the training effect? Deadlift negatives are awesome for stimulating growth.

2) Why is your form bad on your negative? This definitely needs addressing. Knees back and RDL until the bar passes your knees, then continue down with some knee bend.

3) Will you look like a douche? Possibly, I know I feel like one sometimes.

Cheers Ice, I shall look into addressing the issues. I don't really know, I've never had an issue with it before but recently I've started getting some lower back pain and negatives seem to flare the issue.

Not ***** about looking like a douche though, got proper lifting platforms in the gym that and no one seems to care.

Cheers Ice, I shall look into addressing the issues. I don't really know, I've never had an issue with it before but recently I've started getting some lower back pain and negatives seem to flare the issue.

Not ***** about looking like a douche though, got proper lifting platforms in the gym that and no one seems to care.

Bang it on the head while you can Begbie, you don't want to be a Delvis.

Are you close to your 1RM for a working weight? I find my lower back really takes a beating when I'm close to it personally....Especially when form starts going.

Seriously though, post some side videos, people will soon be able to tell whats possibly causing it :)

Took this little sneaky pic today:

Tricep_zpsfd38a9ac.jpg

I actually might have some arms for once.

That's a big bonus, which means there isn't really a practical problem with doing it.

Do work out what's causing your problems though.

Thanks Ice, I intend to.

Bang it on the head while you can Begbie, you don't want to be a Delvis.

Are you close to your 1RM for a working weight? I find my lower back really takes a beating when I'm close to it personally....Especially when form starts going.

Seriously though, post some side videos, people will soon be able to tell whats possibly causing it :)

Cheers Delvis.

Relatively close yeah, been on a cut for a while so weights been a bit all over the place (mostly be been too relaxed with my training though) I've also done something to my back causing me some back pain. Nothing serious, so having time off training and training but at lighter weights till it feels better.

I shall try and get some videos tomorrow though :)

Defo, get some vids :)

150kg is my current 1RM from back in December or something? And I'm working (or attempting to) at 145kg currently, so I'm taking a bit of a beating...Doesn't help I keep playing pool the night before thus not getting much sleep, need to change my days around I think. :D

Thursday 8th August: Back
  • Mobility: hamstring work, some hip stuff
  • Deads WU: bar x humpalot, 70kg x 5, 100kg x 3, 130kg x 1.
  • Deads WS: 145kg x 3, 3, 3 (PB!), 125kg x 3, 3, 3 (what the fudge is going on?)
  • BOR: 3 x 10 x 65kg (bit ropey towards the end)
  • NG Chins: 5, 4, 3 (F4)
  • Pallof Presss: 3 x 12/12 x 18kg

BOOM! Deadlift PB.
BOOM! After work training PB.
BOOOM!!! Fuarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrin PB!!! :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom