Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
When you say your back was a bit sore, are we talking your normal issue or just a little discomfort from the effort you are putting in to actually pulling something?

Don't confuse the 2 and let normal lifting muscle pump slow you down.

Man of Honour
Great work!

I think you need more resistance in your core work, which I'm guessing is what Dom was referring to.

You also need more mass on your lats, so keep smashing the rows/chins/pull ups.

Caporegime
OP
When you say your back was a bit sore, are we talking your normal issue or just a little discomfort from the effort you are putting in to actually pulling something?

Don't confuse the 2 and let normal lifting muscle pump slow you down.

I can put up with pump, i love the feeling. This practically makes me feel like im damaging something sometimes :p Hopefully as strength increases it gets better.

Sexy deads Delvis! Must have been that balls out effort at DW that unlocked the power.

Thanks man, yeah having you and syla5 push me on was a great help, those 4 weeks really helped me get back on track more so thank you.

Great work!

I think you need more resistance in your core work, which I'm guessing is what Dom was referring to.

You also need more mass on your lats, so keep smashing the rows/chins/pull ups.

Cheers ice :)

So what would you recommend for the core work? Yeah my lats suck, lack of being able to chin and pull doesnt help. Just smashing the rows wherever i can.

Annoying as there arent any other decent gyms near me i dont think without driving further afield.

Associate
Obviously don't worry about dropping the bar if it is going to cause problems but if can do it remember what we said when you came down about hip hinging. You want to pull your hips back while keeping the weight on your heels and the bar over your feet with your back straight and your knees back.

That's also how to do perfect RDLs, just keep the bar on your legs and your back straight, easy :).

Core work looks pretty good, but a few more ideas for some harder exercises:

- This will rape you but if you can do them they are fantastic. The whole idea is to get maximum tension to stop you lower back over extending. If you can't do full range reps try doing a small wobble up and down and then performing a plank as normal, the addition of instability in that way will add a massive difficulty multiplier ;).

- I know you are aware of roll outs but I find them invaluable so I'm going to post them anyway :).

- I also know you have very limited equipment but bear in mind these principles when working out progressions from simpler roll out type exercises.

If you don't have an ab wheel you can use a ball, like in the video, or a foam roller and just walk you hands down it.

Also look up Valslides, they are stupidly expensive but you can just buy some furniture sliders from amazon for about £8. They will make body saw a little easier to do and they are also very useful for other exercises.

Deception, you are more than welcome to come down any time. Just email Ice and we can sort it out :).

Edit; Delvis, minor point but tuck your chin more and keep the chest up ;).

Caporegime
OP
Thanks dom, i used to do ab wheels but they seemed to aggravate my isue :( will look at trying them again.

Whats the person using in the body saw on ther feet? Ill have to look up the cost on the vallslides and look for the sofa wheel things :p sadly even if i had the trx bands i dont think there is anywhere i can do them at the gym.

Yeah, think my chin came up from lack of remembering :p thanks for pointing it out though

Associate
If you search furniture sliders on amazon the ones I have are £5 for four and you only need two.

Give rollouts a go again but start off small. Make sure you are prioritising spinal position by keeping your glutes fully on and tensing your core like you are going to take a punch.

Associate
Yeah for now. We could think about doing you your training in stages so you could have a strength stage and then an endurance stage, strength being low reps/time with heavy loading and the opposite for endurance.

Caporegime
OP
Monday 26th November: Legs
  • Mobility
  • Squats: WU - 10xbar, 6x60kg, 2x80kg.
  • -WS: 3x8x90kg (vid at end of post) Nearly failed set 3 :eek: Pushed through though
  • RDL's: 3x10x70kg
  • Calves Raises (single leg) @20kg: 20, 15, 20.
  • -Supersetted with-
  • Calve raises (single leg) @BW: 20, 20, 20.

Pretty good session, squats where hard, video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iz8tW3tzkiQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some technique work to be done for sure, but that's a great effort. You make it very hard for yourself at the bottom by being so slow to reverse direction. I'm not sure it's a great idea to change your technique massively now (unless you come to Oxford again), because there it's not terrible, your making good progress and you're able to exert yourself well with it.

Also, 90x8x3 is definitely more than 100x2 ;)

Associate
Bloody lovely Delvis! Nothing bad I can really say about that, well done chap!

What does your routine look like for squats?

I'm just wondering if you should now start moving the reps down a little now your form is looking consistently good.

Edit: as Ice says, there are things to change but also hard to do over internet. Just wanted to clarify :).

Back
Top Bottom