Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
OP
Good progress, don't forget depth :)

Yeah, it'll be worked on in time :) It's a real issue with me, and I'd rather not risk rounding my lower back too much, which WILL happen if depth goes much lower.

Is it just the angle or are your knees going quite a bit over your toes?

They do there yes, probably because I'm on the edge of my limit in a sense, ie my form is going to be breaking, something to work on though definitely.

Some technique work to be done for sure, but that's a great effort. You make it very hard for yourself at the bottom by being so slow to reverse direction. I'm not sure it's a great idea to change your technique massively now (unless you come to Oxford again), because there it's not terrible, your making good progress and you're able to exert yourself well with it.

Also, 90x8x3 is definitely more than 100x2 ;)

Slow to reverse action? How do you mean? Just pushing up at the bottom of the rep? If so, yes, although it's not intentional, I just can't push that quickly.

Thanks mate, I'd like to pop down again at some point, not sure when though. Haha! But yeah, I probably could do a bigger single, I'm just not striving for 1RM's really at the moment. :)

Bloody lovely Delvis! Nothing bad I can really say about that, well done chap!

What does your routine look like for squats?

I'm just wondering if you should now start moving the reps down a little now your form is looking consistently good.

Edit: as Ice says, there are things to change but also hard to do over internet. Just wanted to clarify :).

Routine? I squat, and aim for 8+ reps, so I may up the rep range next week, or drop to 87.5kg and do 10/12 reps. I basically train for hypertrophy as that's what I'm aiming for currently. After Christmas I may hit a strength routine for a few months...?

Defo things to change, my back wasn't feeling 100%, hence the excess knees over toeage :p

They just want to put their hands all over you again Delvis :p

I'm all ears <3

Caporegime
OP
Tuesday 27th November: Chest and tri's
  • Mobility
  • DB Bench press: WU: 10x10's, 10x15's.
  • WS: 25's: 8, 8, failed setup on set 3, 8.
  • Incline Bench press: 50kg: 8, 8, 7 (failed rep 8.)
  • Dropset incline: 40kgx8 - 4 second negatives.
  • Dips @ BW: 14, 14, 14 - Time to add weight I think
  • French press (standing): 15kg: 14, 14, 16 - Just need to watch my lower back, also needs more weight.

All in all, good session. Glad that the 25's went up, kind of figured out the movement to get them up now, still annoying though.

PB on my dips, need to add a bit of weight to them now.

French press, just got to watch my lower back, similar to the OHP.

Not sure where to progress on the DB bench, possibly add more reps.

Caporegime
OP
Well, the incline aggravates it enough. I do some shoulder mobility, but I need to carry on with what I've introduced for a couple more weeks. That and ask in the mob thread for more of a plan for the rehab :)

Caporegime
I'd be lowering the rep range 5-6 and doing more sets, adding more weight of course.

For DB work I'll do (normally incline mind)

32x6
34x6
34x6
34xmax reps

Well it's what I've been doing recently, not fussed about what weight I'm doing as its an aux exercise. Be nice to see an increase every week mind.

Man of Honour
8 reps should be good enough, and just go AMRAP for the last set.

Or, just add extra set.

It's better to perform a quality set, (i.e. good no cheating) with fewer reps, more sets and decent weight, rather than easy light weight with lots of reps and a few - even for hypertrophy. Ultimately it comes down to volume. :)

Caporegime
OP
Clarification on AMRAP? Sounds dodgy :p

I may work on the 8 rep range for the 25's, as I'm pretty sure some could have gone lower. In fact if people saw them they'd probably void the lift anyway, can't go much lower due to my shoulder anyway.

With regards to your last bit...Are you saying do less reps with more sets so as to shift the same amount of volume? I read that the other day somewhere actually, as long as you are hitting the right volume, ie a total of 24 reps, it doesn't matter if you do it over 3 sets of 8 or 4 sets of 6...Or is that bull? :p

Man of Honour
Remember weight x reps increases as tonnage as the weight increases:

eg:

weight-- reps-- sets-- tonnage
20------ 6----- 5----- 600
15------ 8----- 4----- 480

AMRAP (as many reps as possible - i.e. until just about to hit failure).

So yes - it's about volume. HST is all about hitting high volume.

However, you might as well do the volume with as heavy weight as possible. IMO 6 reps is a good range, even 5 reps is a good range - so then you can use a heavier weight and actually increase strength too.

I'm sure Steedie will probably have some input on that - but I'm not meaning this from a BB point of view, purely on a mass get ****ing massive point of view.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well, it's something to bear in mind regardless matey, so thank you for explaining. And to be fair, I'm going to hit some form of a strength program after Christmas, I've been hitting 8+ reps for the last year (except deadlifts) so really could do with a change.

Mind you, I'm still seeing progress, so I'm happy in the short term :)

Man of Honour
:)

It's just to make sure you're aware that lifting 15kg in 4 sets for 8 reps is actually less work, than moving 20kg in 5 sets with 6 reps. :) Though if you lift both 15 & 20kg in 5 sets with 8reps and 6 reps respectively, they will equal the same volume. However, you benefit from the heavier weight in terms of how your body responds the the heavier weight.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers man :)

I've got some lovely bruises on my quads currently, it's from doing Db bench, having to rest them on my legs before the lift...They're stupid pinch collar + plates at my gym, rather than set DB's.

Caporegime
OP
Had to rush the session last night, and to top it off I forgot my log book so had no idea what I was doing.

Ohp: barx10
30kgx8, 35kgx8, 37.5kgx5 (last couple Push press)
(more push press now) 35kgx5, 30kgx10

Arnold press: 10's
10, 10, 10
-drop set: 7.5s: 12

Bent over face pull: 15's
12, 12, 12.
+
Planks: 30s, 30s, 30s

Goblet squat /pulse: 10kg plate
10, 10, 10.

Freefaller.....I HATE YOU AND YOU PULSES

Soldato
I'm surprised you don't know your set off by heart, I know most people don't, but I tend to know mine quite well, and only have to check the 'log book' once or twice a session - by which I mean the piece of paper I take with it all written down on. Following 5x5 has it's benefits.... (Especially if I pick up an iPhone and get the app xD)

kd

Caporegime
OP
Well, I don't tend to do the same weight/reps each week, or if I do it'll be because I've hit a sticking point.

This is what I did last week:
OHP: WU: Barx10, 30kgx3. WS: 30kg-12, 12, 10. Dropset: Barx12.
Arnold Press: 10's: 10, 10, 12. Dropset: 7.5'sx14.
DB Face pull thing: 7.5'sx20. 10'sx20, 20.
-Below core work supersetted-
Planks: 30s, 30s, 50s.
Land mines (just the bar): 8, 8, 12.
Pallof press with band: 8, 8, 12.

So in comparison, it was an improvement Arnold press wise, and OHP was pretty brutal on me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Friday 30th November: Back
  • Mobility
  • Deadlifts: WU:- 10x60kg, 5x80kg, 2x100kg.
  • WS:- 3x6x125kg
  • BOR: 3x10x60kg
  • Reverse grip BOR: 3x10x60kg
  • -Dropset @40kg: 14 - 3 second negatives.
  • SAR: 3x10x30kg

Pleased with the deadlifts (PB again), will have to think about what to do for next week...

Lower back was aggravated a bit, but then it was generally naff all day! SAR's were nice and controlled so got some nice lat pump. BOR's were okay, probably need to drop the weight in all honesty as it wasn't hitting my lats properly.

Roll on the doms!

Back
Top Bottom