Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Without going in to details, I'm having issues with my back for Squats at the moment, hence doing High bar for a few weeks as Low bar is just putting crazy stress on my lumbar.

As for the low weights, it's how it's gone, 100kg on low bar basically snaps me in half, my knees collapse and I've had knee pains since before my holiday. At some point I've lost my squat pattern and it's now hurting me every time I squat, so I've had to drop things back a bit.

Well go in to details then, otherwise it looks like you've gone from squatting to basics again.

I'm pretty sure my <6 month training brother is out-squatting you currently :\

Awesome, not sure what the need is to compare me to other people.

I basically have gone to squatting basics again, Squats are terrible me for, I cannot get on with them. Low bar seems to hurt my back as I have some clear weaknesses at the moment there, High bar currently seems better but I hate the bar positioning.

Leg press is terrible at our gym, it just makes things worse.

Come new year I'll be training differently anyway, so hey.

Awesome, not sure what the need is to compare me to other people.

Don't get ****y with me as it's a very fair comparison to make, especially as it shows where you've gone from a competent squatter to having clear weaknesses in your squatting capability.

I basically have gone to squatting basics again, Squats are terrible me for, I cannot get on with them. Low bar seems to hurt my back as I have some clear weaknesses at the moment there, High bar currently seems better but I hate the bar positioning.

Leg press is terrible at our gym, it just makes things worse.

Come new year I'll be training differently anyway, so hey.

As Chris says, I would expect deadlifts or RDLs to put a lot more stress on the lumbar area if you had an issue there, but as they're seemingly unaffected by it, the issue must lie elsewhere. Perhaps core bracing and maintaining breathing patterns are causing you to crease at the hips. But I'd be looking to fix it rather than reducing weight and reps. Doing such a small volume of squats is not going to be fixing anything.

Out of interest, what is the change of training in the new year? Following your current squatting trends, I'm not expecting it to involve a leg day :p

I think realistically, there's a lot more shear force on the lumbar from both a 90kg RDL and a 160kg (!) deadlift. Are you breathing right?

I think this is correct, but squats involve significantly more movement around more joints than RDLs or regular lifts. The eccentric element of both deadlift types is also quite different.

Last edited:
Definitely Nick, but a 160kg deadlift would make you think a <100kg squat would be near enough effortless; it certainly is with me (inb4 stop comparing me pls)!

Knee caving I would attribute to abductors (more likely) or very poor IT bands (less likely), assuming no massive short comings down the posterior chain.

Well, deadlifts do put pressure on my lumbar, so do RDL's, just not as much as I can manage it better. Squats seem to make things worse. I also agree that my bracing is no doubt terrible, I can;t do it very well in the squat position.

My Squats from the 26th hurt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBV40-PeWk

The point of me doing high bar at the moment is to hopefully stop me hurting my back every time I squat (which going by today's and the squats I did Friday it already felt a bit better.) Along with this I have lowered the weight to something I can learn to brace properly with, today was a bit of a farce due to the rush, while this isn't perfect it's what I had to work with today.

Come new year I'll be training for size properly should my body allow it, slow negatives galore basically. Although I can see my body not liking it and I'll no doubt have to train things like shoulders and chest different due to my issues.

Definitely Nick, but a 160kg deadlift would make you think a <100kg squat would be near enough effortless; it certainly is with me (inb4 stop comparing me pls)!

Knee caving I would attribute to abductors (more likely) or very poor IT bands (less likely), assuming no massive short comings down the posterior chain.

Knee caving on low bar is due to my adductors (or abductors? Get them confused)...Inside of my leg basically, I am aware of this but they appear to be ridiculously short or tight.

High bar seems to not need as much movement on them.

EDIT:

I would love to be able to squat as much as you, I just can't grind them out without something else giving way like I can with deadlifts.

Last edited:

Ahem - excuse the ninja edit. ;)

Worked on my shoulders again tonight, finding it easier to get my hand to the ground now whilst on my back, can't quite get to grips with it laying on my side though.

Smashed around my scapula as well, nice and deep.

All in all it's feeling pretty nice at the moment.

Thursday 5th December: Shoulders
PP: 4 x 3 x 45kg
Arnolds: 5 x 4 x 16's
Side raises: 5 x 8 x 12's
Face Pulls: 5 x 8 x 39kg

Curls: 16 x 12's, 16 x 10's, 16 x 8's.
Hammers: 16 x 12's, 16 x 10's, 16 x 8's.

Push press: need to get under the bar quicker.
Arnolds: Up the weight.
Side raises: Noice
Face pulls: not done these in a while, concentrated on pausing at my face whille keeping good scap positioning.

Drive seems to be working well = good. :)

Has anybody told you that your pecs are probably tight? ;) :D

In other news: chest forward (assuming pecs don't rip your sternum apart), chin 'down' (forward, actually, but depends what cue works), core tight.

Jutting your head forward like a chicken and pushing the bar back over your head will (should?) encourage your torso to follow, giving your shoulders more space to retract and provide a stable base stabilise properly. It should wind up over the back of your head...

Another way to try this is from the back squat position (no, shoulder impingement is not generally an issue here as the 'push' element takes it out the equation), as you:

- won't have to worry about getting your head through;
- bar will already be in the 'correct' line of travel;
- torso will already be stacked at the correct angle, too (slightly forward)...

That is assuming you move like a normal human being: I haven't seen you move in person, but this shouldn't present too many problems...

Last edited:
Ta mate. I know about sticking my head forward I just didn't seem to remember until the 4th set.

And yes, working on my pecs, they don't seem to ever become supple :o Probably years of bad posture, sitting down playing PC games and skate boarding y0.

EDIT: Plz confirm, chest forward?

EDIT: Plz confirm, chest forward?

It's similar in principle to strict OHP: getting your neck/head through will give your shoulders more room.

The 'chest forward' cue is a quirk that I use to get your torso into the 'slightly forward angle' end position that you should be in for OHP, PP and jerk: most stable position for the shoulders. The alternative to 'fix' this for PP is to start from the back squat rack position, as you're already "good" for the angled torso and pressing from the ideal position (i.e. once the bar is off your shoulders and it goes up behind your head.

Yeah, something I shan't be doing as my shoulders are already guff :D

It's something I need to just do, completely forgot, guessing because of the weight. Not sure whether to keep upping or get my form down properly first, seeing as I'm working on my shoulders every night they aren't in the strongest of states when it comes to shoulder day :p

Yeah, something I shan't be doing as my shoulders are already guff :D

It's something I need to just do, completely forgot, guessing because of the weight. Not sure whether to keep upping or get my form down properly first, seeing as I'm working on my shoulders every night they aren't in the strongest of states when it comes to shoulder day :p

At a complete guess, I'd suggest using 30kg to get the pattern right for a set of 5 or whatever - disregarding time between reps or whatever - and then push on with lower reps once you're comfortable with actual movement.

Back
Top Bottom