Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Wasn't it originally designed to be an episodic release like Hitman, then due to backlash SE wisely reneged.

Never heard of that. That would have really annoyed me! I would definetly not pre-ordered out of principle. Hate episodic stuff. I mean, it has it's place like say Walking Dead games from Telltale. But for Deus Ex??? The fact that it would even come up is bemusing!

Wasn't it originally designed to be an episodic release like Hitman, then due to backlash SE wisely reneged.

They might of stitched parts together and, as you suggest, broke others off to feed the season pass monster.

Yep, they changed it and rushed it out. I will be waiting for a significant discount before buying it.

The game essentially ends halfway through the second act.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review

They might of stitched parts together and, as you suggest, broke others off to feed the season pass monster.
Well from what I understand, it's not that they are trying to splinter the rest of the story stuff into DLC packages, it's that they had more story to tell that they could fit into a single game and thus plan to make this basically 'Part 1'. So while DLC might expand a bit on things, expect the story to not be properly continued and fleshed out til this game's sequel.

I might be getting confused with the 'augment your pre-order' shambles.

I think so, as I did a quick google search and only place I saw episodic mentioned was an April fools joke :p

Yep, they changed it and rushed it out. I will be waiting for a significant discount before buying it.

The game essentially ends halfway through the second act.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review

I will counter you with this:

Ars Technica Review

Only skim read it, but the conclusion seems very positive. Could just be the case of different strokes for different folks.

No-one expects this to be game of the year, for £20+ it'll be a great play through, can't wait to finally have something to play.

Maybe you felt this way, but I certainly expect a lot from it considering it has been in development for nearly half a decade by a developer with experience and triple a funding!

I even ponied up £48 to support them by buying the Digital Deluxe Edition, and I am the guy who nearly always waits for a game to be a tenner or under before I buy it. lol. But it is one of my favourite franchises, so had to be done :)

Well from what I understand, it's not that they are trying to splinter the rest of the story stuff into DLC packages, it's that they had more story to tell that they could fit into a single game and thus plan to make this basically 'Part 1'. So while DLC might expand a bit on things, expect the story to not be properly continued and fleshed out til this game's sequel.

I just get the feeling they made the full game, then just cut chunks out of it for DLC, which is sad if true. But let us see, it may make sense once we have the full game and DLC available.

For HR they did a good job sticking the DLC where they did, wonder how it will work with MD.

The reviews all seem very positive, despite an apparently "second gear" storyline. Quite honestly, if the world design and gameplay are anywhere near as good as the reviews are saying, then it's compensation enough. It will be a good change of pace from the bland dross that has been churned out by other devs lately. Not long now....

The reviews all seem very positive, despite an apparently "second gear" storyline. Quite honestly, if the world design and gameplay are anywhere near as good as the reviews are saying, then it's compensation enough. It will be a good change of pace from the bland dross that has been churned out by other devs lately. Not long now....

I hope the story gets better with the DLC then. Otherwise I maybe a little disappointed. I mean Mary DeMarle had years coming up with something great. Storyline is very important for a Deus Ex game IMO. The original Deus Ex guy (Sheldon Pacotti) had much less time and I really enjoyed the story for that.

But as you say, if they nailed gameplay, they should just use same engine and continue the story with a new game soon rather than waiting 4-5 years again.

I hope the story gets better with the DLC then. Otherwise I maybe a little disappointed. I mean Mary DeMarle had years coming up with something great. Storyline is very important for a Deus Ex game IMO. The original Deus Ex guy (Sheldon Pacotti) had much less time and I really enjoyed the story for that.

But as you say, if they nailed gameplay, they should just use same engine and continue the story with a new game soon rather than waiting 4-5 years again.

Hopefully. They've certainly built a solid platform on which to expand the story. Waiting another five years for further resolution would be annoying to say the least. Also, I'd hoped that Mankind Divided would begin to transition in more of the elements we saw in the original, such as the development of nano-augmentation and the Denton project. That doesn't seem to be the case. Of.course, I'd love to be proven wrong.:D

It sounds like the basics are right but they forgot even the slightest bit of spit and polish (more so than with Human Revolution). Think I'll wait for the 'Director's Cut' which will hopefully materialise again.

I just found out the game takes roughly 30 hours to complete including all side quests and exploring properly. I think HR was like 40

If its 30 its more than HR, i clocked HR twice did everything i could even got the "fox of hounds achievement done" would have done the no kills achievement as well but someone died right near the end and it only took 40 hours in total to complete both.

Reviews look good, all DLC will be single player stuff, looking forward to this game more than anything else this year

It sounds like the basics are right but they forgot even the slightest bit of spit and polish (more so than with Human Revolution). Think I'll wait for the 'Director's Cut' which will hopefully materialise again.

From I've read it sounds extremely well polished. Spit, Mr sheen, Pledge the lot.

Back
Top Bottom