dfi-rd580 crossfire due soon? (gibbo?)

AFAIK,

the 1900 series is to bandwidth hungary to enable Crossfire accross the PCI bus (it's too limited for all the info required), meaning that you must use a dongle.

Raja

I am beginning to think that the Seasonic S12 600w is indeed unadequate for 2 1900's in Crossfire, when your system is overclocked. I can pass most tests including S&M stress test, but running 3dmark 06, the system will lock up on the firefly forest, the part insdie the tree with the face. I can run most games including Oblivion, I can see now why people are opting for the 700w+ supplies..

Raja

Hi,

I think I've nailed it, to the psu I remembered I installed a new case fan yesterday, I now have 6 case fans of various sizes in my pc, the cpu cooler makes a 7th. Before this I was able to benchmark ok.

I have benched @ 2.7ghz before and passed, so I new it was not the overclock causing the failure in Firefly Forest.

I ran a series of tests @ different voltages with and without overclocks:

1) I first increased the voltage to my overclock CPU speed, so the vcore was .025 higher @ 1.5v. This caused the benchmark to run a fraction of a second longer, before freezing.

2) Went into bios lowered the overclock speed, by 60mhz, kept vore @ 1.5v. Benchmark still froze.

3) Returned to stock speed with 1.5v, still failed.

4) Decreased vcore to 1.4v, still failed.

5) Unplugged 2 case fans from the 12v rails, the benchmark passed.

Basically the Seasonic is a great psu, but when yoyu have a heavily loaded system, it is unable to supply the current demand. Now I know why I have been having trouble getting stable over 2.7ghz, I knew there was more in the cpu.

So this brings me to 2 options for psu's, if I decide to sell the Seasonic.

1) FSP Sparkle 700w
2) Xlio 750w

There's not any others I can think of that are available the PCP is just to darn expensive.

Raja

Last edited:
Well for the week ive had the FSP raja, ive had no problems yet.

Its a bit loud at full load compared to the Seasonic , FSP have said they will RMA it direct for me and send out one with a newer version fan :cool:

Cant complain really

I think I've found the beast I want, the Silverstone ST75ZF (just about to be released), 18amps for each of the four 12v rails - should do the trick.

Raja

Hi , i have been pondering about a power supply for the last week or so and have decided on the xclio over the sparkle as it has 18A 12v rails and it is modular and i only have a little case :( , i couldn't hide the extra cables on the sparkle although its probably a great psu, i will let you know when i get it , probably Tuesday i recon

raja said:
the only thing that put me off the Xclio was the lack of the 8 pin connector..
Though I wonder if it would make a difference..

Hi was wondering about this connector although it says as listed cable 7, i was hoping that was it

Cable Management System (6 x cables set):
Cable 1 & 2 > 3PCS x 4 pins molex + 1PC x 4 pins floppy
Cable 3 & 4 > 1PC x 6 pins PCI express
Cable 5 & 6 > 2PCS x SATA
Cable 7 > 8 pins server power

What do you recon

It's difficult to say really (can't see it pictured), it's very close between those 2 supplies, the Xclio does have that cable management system.. The Silverstone seems to be using some heavy duty 'industrial' components, their previous SLI supplies were really good. The issue with the previous range is that you had to load the 12v rails to get adequate power to the graphics cards. Other than that those supplies were reputed to be rock solid. The new Silverstone is being launched to fix the rail loading issue, as well as providing even more power. Voltage/Current supply specs show the Xclio to just pip the Silverstone.

Coin toss decision?

Guys, .. check this website..

Guys, you may want to check this website. I just got the DFI board from them and it seems they have some inventory on hand.. most important of all, their price is sweet..
www.ricaivsion.com

Last edited:
Hi Raja,

Do you think it is Ok to use Seasonic 600w with one card with this MBoard, not planning to go to full Xfire until next year when the new cards come out.

Simon

Dr Who said:
Just got back to cyprus and a card is waiting to tell me my mobo has arrived...

off to post office tomorrow and lots of playtime at the weekend

:D
Hope it goes well Dr Who, I have ordered my 750W psu so I will report back on if it makes any improvement, not that I am having too much trouble the way things are its just when it boots into windows it looks as if ccc stalls the system slightly and the blue task bar at the bottom goes black and then back to blue and when I plugged in a 480w supply I had the same effect only 10 times worse, I have seen this same issue on the Asus a8r -mvp, a8r32 and this one so I recon it could just be load, tomorrow is D Day.

The total power on these psu's doesn't add up and I think its that the manufactures apply a thing called "Diversity" which is used by electrical engineers to rate a given device and allows for a certain amount of probability that you wont load all the rails to the max

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom