dfi-rd580 crossfire due soon? (gibbo?)

bmorgan98 said:
andy i see you have the mcw55 blocks but how do you cool the ram chips on the gpu's

Also is 1 mcw55 leading into the other i.e daisy chain and was there any mounting problems with the swiftech gpu water blocks

Hi bmorgan98 yeah they are daisy chained and are easy to mount and i just stuck zalman heatsinks onto the ram and they are quite happy i also have a vantec fan card blowing down to help a little

my.php

my.php

my.php

its a bit loop the loop at the moment but i need to swap the two pipes over to the res just to make it a bit more tidy , had to use the spiral stuff around the short pipe between the cards as it was trying to go flat its ok now though , when i can get a chipset block it will be almost silent

andyr said:
Hi bmorgan98 yeah they are daisy chained and are easy to mount and i just stuck zalman heatsinks onto the ram and they are quite happy i also have a vantec fan card blowing down to help a little

my.php

my.php

my.php

its a bit loop the loop at the moment but i need to swap the two pipes over to the res just to make it a bit more tidy , had to use the spiral stuff around the short pipe between the cards as it was trying to go flat its ok now though , when i can get a chipset block it will be almost silent

Yup thats a nice setup, those 1/2" pipes?

hey without the big white cooler ! Thats some diet plan theyve lost weight hehe ;)

the chipset cooling will pose a problem it will be a tight squeeze.

bmorgan98 said:
Yup thats a nice setup, those 1/2" pipes?

hey without the big white cooler ! Thats some diet plan theyve lost weight hehe ;)

the chipset cooling will pose a problem it will be a tight squeeze.

Hi they are 7/16 pipes but will fit over 1/2 barbs , i had a chipset block for my ultra d board the pipes are offset and access on this one is better believe it or not , just need to wait and get one as and when

Getting some strange reports this board, they say when you get it you have to flash the BIOS, but when you do it goe's **** up and kills yer board, what is the point of that, why not just put it on the box ffs, you must kill your board. :rolleyes:

If they done that then they could have refused RMA's, as everyone would have said 'i flashed the BIOS, but my board died as it went **** up', they could have said 'yeah its on the box, its supposed to do that', but seen as its not on the box, or in the manual etc..., i think they will find it pretty hard to tell ppl its supposed to do that as they failed to mention it anywhere, even though it is supposed to die when you flash it, as you have to flash it, no way around it, you must kill your board.

It did not kill mine, to date I've only seen one person that had issues like that, I don't think he flashed twice like he was supposed to (though I must admit not everyone had the info I suppose). I followed the instructions set out by Tony and others and had no problems, for me this board has been fantastic, the issues that remain are being worked upon, btw I don't have the issues with my setup (this much fixing is expected with a new board). I had way more problems than this working with the A8R32-MVP, I also had to flash the latest 0404 bios thrice with that board.

BTW Tony has a reported fix for the issue, if anyone is having problems rebooting after flashing the bios, drop Tony a private message over at xtremesystems, he may be of help.

No need to worry so much! ;)

Raja

Last edited:
Hi Loadsamoney, i have flashed it up down and sideways , lol , even used the diamond flash as well as winflash and didnt flash it twice or three times as is stated on dfi street and all i can say is it gets better and better

anyone having bootup issues see post 205 here,

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1414442#post1414442

I think Loadsamoney had a bad experince with the 'mistake' of a board called the RDX200 using the 480 chipset, really bro' the CFX3200's a gem. All of us guys here know that DFI has made some mistakes, but they got this one right.

Any remaining issues, should be cured in time, i have not had to do any work with people on this board, we all know the story with the Asus, it came 95% good after a lot of energy expenditure (not so much by me, but the other guys had to really work).

It's always a risk with DFI, but the fans accept it, this time there's a lot more support, with a lot more people working together to fix te issues that arise. I have not regret for one second (I'm sure Andy will back me up on this), selling the Asus and buying this board, even at the expense. Considering how fresh this board still is, a higher percentage of people are getting succes with overclocks, than we did with the Asus (not knocking that board, but it's the main competitor, having owned one and been at the heart of the debate, I know what was involved).

Raja

Me too. I flashed normally (once) and all was fine.

I have a few small issues still so I tried the double flash and take out the battery for 5 mins and it made no difference.

If you can get the memory running well this board is a dream. 90% of instability issues seem to relate to memory settings.... even when you are convinced it cant be memory, it always seems to be in the end.

Simon any tips on memory settings? You seem to have been working hard with overclocks, so must have picked up on a few tricks with this board, squeezing stabilty etc..

raja said:
Simon any tips on memory settings? You seem to have been working hard with overclocks, so must have picked up on a few tricks with this board, squeezing stabilty etc..

Its different for each type of RAM. I spent ages researching my gskill 4000 HZ and have got the settings sweet for that. My OCZ3200 Rev2 TCCD is another story though... mide you i have not put much effort in.

What ram do you have?

I cant get any stability with dividers though. It does still seem very hit and miss. When you get it right though its fantastic.

Things i have discovered...
1. Setting Drive Strength to Weak - is a bit stability improvement for minimal performance loss.
2. Set as many RAM settings in the bios as possible.
3. Run Memtest to check settings. Test 5 is the most likely to fail... if it passes 2 of those its probably going to be ok.
4. Avoid dividers if possible.
5. For anything over 230 FSB set LDI / FSB to 4x
6. When you get a setting that works. Save it in the CMOS re-loaded
7. When no boot. Just power off and press reset and Power together. this sets to defualts. Then boot and load the last saved CMOS Reloaded.... Saves soooo must time and effort.

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

I'm using Corsair 3500LL PRO, I think it's Infineon, so far I'm running on low latencies @ 225HTT 12X multi. 2.5-3-2-6. If I drop the multiplier to 11, I have to drop down to 3-3-3-8 @ 247 htt, but I was having a few stability issues, however that's more down to my inexperince with overclocking and understanding bios timing setup rather than anything else

For the record Tony just posted on xtremesystems that you must set tref manually, he's prefers using around 1532 or so in bios atm, that's 100mhz 3.9us.

Raja

excellent tip for reset and power, btw CMOS reloaded is great!

Last edited:
raja said:
Hi Simon,

I'm using Corsair 3500LL PRO, I think it's Infineon, so far I'm running on low latencies @ 225HTT 12X multi. 2.5-3-2-6. If I drop the multiplier to 11, I have to drop down to 3-3-3-8, but Iwas having a few stability issues, however that's more down to my inexperince with overclocking and understanding bios timing setup rather than anything else

For the record Tony just posted on xtremesystems that you must set tref manually, he's prefers using around 1532 or so in bios atm, that's 100mhz 3.9us.

Raja

I'm using 3120 or (3075 - think it is). Ensure you set Max Async and Read pre as well.

To get much higher change LDT/FSB to x4

My CPU reacts diferently to each divider. I also find that when changing the divider I have to power off... leave for 15 seconds and then power back on.

check this link out for detailed ram setting definitions.
Link here

Last edited:
This board is looking real promising..

Mine still hasnt arrived, but its the last day of orthodox easter here today, so no surprise really with two easters interupting the trip...

Off to turkey today for 2 days, so earliest will be friday now...

Cant wait to see how this baby goes, may even run a permanent overclock if its as good as it seems... Any recommendations on what to look for with air on an FX60 and Corsair 3500 ram?

Also wanna see if I can cool my twin X1900's a bit better, they idle at around 70 degrees with quiet air cooling... and thats at 500/600 clockspeed :eek:

Can get the zalman reserator here which I quite like the look of... Is that a good quiet water solution? worth running on the CPU as well?

:cool:

well ive heard of ppl having to flash twice, having to clear CMOS, unplugging everything and just having one stick of ram in etc... to get it to boot, all sorts of stuff is popping up, so i would'nt risk it, not at that appaling price anyway. :D

Yours are working fine after flashing etc... so great, glad you aint experienced any of the probs that are cropping up now. :)

onetimeposter said:
Guys

Work in progress but a tweak guide is half way completed, http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20506

300x5LDT is easy, 300 1:1 is quite easy, 2gig kits are awesome and video benching is great too...you only need the tweaks and this board has serious grunt.

PCIE tweaking is up next on the guide, for ram timings the prime data base will have all the answers you need.

Steady boy. These may be your experiences, but overclocking ability depends on all of your components.

My board with its FX60 will not do 300x5LDT under ANY circumstances.... believe me i've tried.

having said that... keep the guide comming... Excellent work :)

Dr Who said:
This board is looking real promising..

Mine still hasnt arrived, but its the last day of orthodox easter here today, so no surprise really with two easters interupting the trip...

Off to turkey today for 2 days, so earliest will be friday now...

Cant wait to see how this baby goes, may even run a permanent overclock if its as good as it seems... Any recommendations on what to look for with air on an FX60 and Corsair 3500 ram?

Also wanna see if I can cool my twin X1900's a bit better, they idle at around 70 degrees with quiet air cooling... and thats at 500/600 clockspeed :eek:

Can get the zalman reserator here which I quite like the look of... Is that a good quiet water solution? worth running on the CPU as well?

:cool:

Have a good trip and i hope its there when you get back , as for the zalman there are a couple of Guys on the A8r32 thread who use it , i got the swiftech apex kit and added gpu blocks and its great , running at 335 x 9 rock solid , so i can recommend that one

Back
Top Bottom