**DGM 27" LED IPS 2560x1440 ONLY £319.99 Inc. VAT (PRE-ORDER PRICE ONLY)!!**

Associate
It can be reduced with the use of an A-TW polarizer but that type of coating only tends to be used on very high end panels.
Correct to some extent but this will never completely eliminate the issue as no 2 panels are ever the same. Some panels are notoriously bad e.g. all 4 corners may have bad yellow/pink tinging. A $2 transparent polariser is applied which is 'hued' in the center to 'mask' this tinge (the theory is: corner bleed + hued center = uniform panel). A radius is marked out and if the tinging overshoots this, its still visible. $2 isn't a lot but it takes a lot of time to apply such filters which is why they aren't considered effective for MP units. They also scratch very easily. Medical displays cost a lot partly because someone has gone through the trouble of applying such filters. Filters also introduce a visible 'fuzzy' or 'grainy' effect which many don't like (consumers prefer the clean look of LEDs). That's all good and well but LEDs with wider gamuts aren't cheap but roadmaps show AdobeRGB capable LED panels in 2013.

Associate
I've had one of these monitors for a week now, and I'm loving the extra desktop space and clarity of the picture, but have one serious issue with blacks and dark colours. I expected some backlight bleed and will happily live with it, but what I am getting is any dark colours washed out and bad viewing angles - more like a TN panel than an IPS. If I look dead ahead at the centre of the screen then it is OK, but even then the picture on the edges suffers. If I look at it from a position that is only slightly off centre then the picture deteriorates badly.

Here's a couple of photos of a black screen.

Dead centre (pretty much as expected):

scaled.php

A little off centre (far worse than expected):

scaled.php

Is anyone else getting anything like this? I've compared this with a U3011 and a fairly old Philips IPS monitor and neither of them do this at all. I'm seriously considering returning the monitor because of this and trying my luck with a Hazro instead.

My one is the very same, viewing it off centre does not bother me. I also agree with you on the black levels, but I don't know what the quality is like on other panels of the same type. I tried to calibrate mine manualy and I had to increase the brightness to see the detail in near black images but that made pure black worse.

I also reported about an issue I had with banding in green and grey gradients and one user reported that they had not noticed anything and a second just reported that he did not use test patterns and that I should return the monitor as "your clearly not happy with it".

When I tried to manually calibrate the screen the gradient issue also got worse. So I am going to return the monitor.

Soldato
My one is the very same, viewing it off centre does not bother me. I also agree with you on the black levels, but I don't know what the quality is like on other panels of the same type. I tried to calibrate mine manualy and I had to increase the brightness to see the detail in near black images but that made pure black worse.

I also reported about an issue I had with banding in green and grey gradients and one user reported that they had not noticed anything and a second just reported that he did not use test patterns and that I should return the monitor as "your clearly not happy with it".

When I tried to manually calibrate the screen the gradient issue also got worse. So I am going to return the monitor.

Wasn't the gradient issue only noted when you ran the green test pattern, or have I missed something..?

Of course you must be happy with your purchase and I guess all the positives about this monitor don't outweigh the issue that you have noted which are too important for you to ignore.

What will you do when the monitor is returned or would you try another..?

Associate
Wasn't the gradient issue only noted when you ran the green test pattern, or have I missed something..?

Of course you must be happy with your purchase and I guess all the positives about this monitor don't outweigh the issue that you have noted which are too important for you to ignore.

What will you do when the monitor is returned or would you try another..?

It is more prominent on green but is there on grey, I am refering to it as banding, on a full screen image there are vertical bars in the background spaced about an inch apart if the gradient is run vertically the bars are there horizontally. The weird thing is that when I calibrate using the latcurve utility in introduces more banding. I was hoping that I was an isolated case, I rang up DGM who said that there should be no banding present and look for a replacement, but he was not in technical support.

I was hoping that I might have been an isolated case and which might help me decide on getting the same monitor again, and that it was not an issue with the processing in the Monitor itself.

As I am coming from a CRT Monitor it is something that I can see straight away. If you draw a gradient in photoshop using 8 or 16bit using grey in any direction there is banding present which I can not live with, i would expect to see a smooth transistion. I have also connected up a laptop to rule out any problem with the Graphics Card and it is still present using a laptop.

Soldato
Thanks for your post as I can now understand the issue you have got with your particular monitor. For me there is no such banding at all but a smooth transition and so it might be worth a punt at another one, especially considering the price and what alternatives there are.

I'm glad that you have tried a laptop to try and eliminate the GPU as that was going to be my suggestion to try.

You do know, probably much better than me, that 8 bit gradient fills are quite bad and known for banding...

http://www.theartofretouching.com/b...ial-difference-between-8bit-16bit-color-space

Associate
Cheers for the info guys. I'd never heard any mention of IPS glow before but having looked on YouTube that seems to be exactly what I'm getting.

I guess I'll take the weekend to decide what to do with the monitor: put up with this and keep it or return it and go back to my Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 CRT for now.

The DGM obviously has the edge in terms of image sharpness, resolution and a better aspect ratio, but the CRT has no problem with blacks or viewing angles, has much lower input lag, and can run at refresh rates higher than 60hz. It's a tough one.

It's a shame, because I want to like it, but am struggling to justify it to myself. I guess these kind of issues are just down to the nature of the current tech. Having seen the screen on a Galaxy SIII it is clearly way ahead of any LCD I've looked at. However, I reckon it could be another 3-4 years before OLED monitors are a reality (and affordable) though.

Soldato
@spud - have you been "going dark" for the last seven years of your membership here :D

It is all about compromise with tech stuff, especially when you compare what you had to what you have now got as a monitor. I don't know though but just the thought of going back to a CRT would make my desk groan under the weight.
I would doubt the the Iiyama monitor is as vivid as it once was either but I can imagine that it is still very capable.

FWIW - I have had to give up somewhat in trying to rationalise some of my tech purchases in a practical sense and just enjoy them for what they are, as long as I can afford them, then I'm happy enough with that, at times.

I finally got rid of my Mitsibushi 22" Diamond Plus, the picture was still damn good, as overall the balance has swung enough for me with the flat panels now available.

Associate
Well i have decided to return mine. As nice as the display is the ips glow with backlight blead and the stuck pixel i found ment the bad out weighed the good and the dell 24" that i have gives me less issues. I have heard that dell might be releasing a 27" version with gloss screen using a similar panel to what i have now. So might hold out to see what this is like.

Associate
Well i have decided to return mine. As nice as the display is the ips glow with backlight blead and the stuck pixel i found ment the bad out weighed the good and the dell 24" that i have gives me less issues. I have heard that dell might be releasing a 27" version with gloss screen using a similar panel to what i have now. So might hold out to see what this is like.

What issues do you have with Dell anyway? As I have sent mine I am trying to decide what I might change it for? I do not know if I am entitled to a refund with the 14 day Gaurantee.

Associate
No its a a Dell U2711 in the middle.

The DGMs do have more backlight bleed compared to it, but all flat panels suffer with it to a degree. all three monitors seem to have it in right bottom right corner! It doesnt bother me at all if im honest - i will never use a completely black screen for me to notice - i do not notice it watching movies etc.

I have to agree with Vimes - the reflective screen can be annoying, however i feel the image with the DGM is definitely more sharper and much more vivid than the dell - this is due to the anti-glare coating that all dells have. The colours look fantastic. Just putting up pictures from my camera look stunning - no complaints here. This is over displayport and VGA - they both look equally as good.

No doubt the build quality of the dell wins hands down, but for £320 a pop these DGMs are a steal. And for £320 the build quality is more than good enough - remember it has great connectivity too. Yes the stand could be better but in all honesty it does the job required.

Looking at the pictures you posted again it looks like the Dell has more shadow detail. Have you calibrated the monitors or are they at their defaults. I am trying to decide if I should go with the Dell u2711 as I have returned the DGM. What negatives would you have for the Dell? Is the Dell easier on the eyes if you were reading text on forums etc..

Associate
Its not a big issue, just the ag coating bothers me and i do prefer a gloss screen. The dell i have is mint with no dead pixels and no noticable back light bleed. Reading up on what could be a dell U2713 does seem tempting, e_ips i have no issues with as this one is e_ips and i have no complaints.

Last edited:
Associate
good pics / post Spud, i've been pretty busy to check stuff out but the last couple of days the issues you mentioned stared to bug me and feeling less and less impressed. going from an old 24" TN panel i was expected to be blown away by this 27" A+ IPS panel but i'm simply not. turning down the brightness even a slight amount really helped with the bleed at the bottom right.

Associate
Well Ive had my DGM a week now and it still looks awesome to me, i always view straight on so the IPS glow dosnt bother me, plus i have next to no light bleed and no dead pixels.

Iam loving this screen and the price £319.00 3 year warranty:D theres no way iam sending mine back unless it fails! I think this DGM screen is my best purchase for a long while, in value terms for what you get.

Soldato
Is it confirmed that this does have a scaler ? (early opinion suggested no, but
comments back down thread showed contrary!)
so that if I attach (a) a laptop that will only drive 1920x1200 or (b) blue-ray player
1920x1080. I can have black bars on all sides of image (ie pixel perfect mapping with aspect ratio preserved) - Paul

Soldato
^^^ that is how it seems to work for me. I have ran games full screen with no issue at 1920x1080 and lower 16:9 resolutions and it scales to the screen fine.

When I used a "square" aspect ratio (5:4) like 1280x1024 I could either scale it or have it displayed in its native format and thus square.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Isn't that default?
Mines gone back, there was a washer rolling around in the box and what sounded like a screw or something rattling around inside the monitor! Didn't even turn it on in case it shorted something.

Will stick with the yamakasi for the moment, shame I didnt even get to compare them :(

Back
Top Bottom