** Diablo 2 Resurrected Thread **

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what other things would you have liked to have seen in this? Or would a lower price point be sufficient?

The price point is the biggest issue for me tbh, I feel it should be £20 max. Add in the lack of mod support (they claimed it would have it but now no tcip, private servers or open battlenet and unless someone can point me to information, total silence on the subject after bigging it up), No ultrawide, overall performance is meh - it could be much more visually pleasing(it's not terrible, it just doesn't grab me).

If they wanted to charge a premium, they could have added other endgame options - I know some would be against this, wanting a pure updated version - but it could have used it for more longevity.

They have done to diablo 2 what a few modders did for dark souls when it was first released on the pc.

Blizzard could have done something great with this but instead did the bare minimum, it's playable, not terrible and a better effort than WC3 reforged but that isn't saying much.

Man of Honour
The price point is the biggest issue for me tbh, I feel it should be £20 max. Add in the lack of mod support (they claimed it would have it but now no tcip, private servers or open battlenet and unless someone can point me to information, total silence on the subject after bigging it up), No ultrawide, overall performance is meh - it could be much more visually pleasing(it's not terrible, it just doesn't grab me).

If they wanted to charge a premium, they could have added other endgame options - I know some would be against this, wanting a pure updated version - but it could have used it for more longevity.

They have done to diablo 2 what a few modders did for dark souls when it was first released on the pc.

Blizzard could have done something great with this but instead did the bare minimum, it's playable, not terrible and a better effort than WC3 reforged but that isn't saying much.

I'm one of those who wouldnt want other endgame options etc, all I wanted is Diablo 2 with modern graphics. Not interested in anything else which makes it not Diablo 2. In effect I didnt want Diablo 2.5 , I just wanted a modern looking Diablo 2, which its delivered on for me.

I'll agree with you on the price point, I do think it should be more like £20-25 though thats not something aimed specifically at Diablo 2/Blizzard, I simply think that every remaster ever should only be around the £20-25 price point because at the end of the day its a remaster. Having said that, I've bought it at the current price anyway and will have enough fun with it (35 or more hours) to justify the price and ensure that its another title which hits my £ per hour requirement to represent value for money.

Soldato

Well you're entitled to your own opinion and all but I very much disagree, they have done a great job with D2R.

I agree with some of your points with lack of mod support and price point.

Soldato
The no widescreen is probably because in the alpha having wider screens allowed you to hit mobs and players with spells from further away, and they would just sit there not knowing what to do. It also allowed you to teleport further which is a massive advantage for farming efficiency.

I'm not saying taking it away is the best fix, but it was kinda broken.

Soldato
I do agree a lot of Blizzard's products (especially remastered games) are way overpriced but I did buy it - with my Blizzard balance (WoW tokens) that I made from playing way too much over the last 4 or 5 years, something I've pretty much entirely stopped now. I do have the D2 original game & expansion and did install it just before Blizzard announced Resurrected, at which point I decided to wait. If I had to pay using real cash I don't think I'd have bothered, but as it was effectively free I didn't mind as much (funny that ;)).

Just have to wait and see if it works on WINE as I haven't run Windows for 5 or 6 years as my daily driver. Warcraft III did work, though the menu system was buggy and slow, but the game itself was mostly fine.

Associate
I'm playing the original D2 at the moment, dipped my toe in Hardcore and have just lost a level 65 Necro, RIP. As for resurrected, I will wait till is out in the wild, hopefully they don't muck it up.

Soldato
The bait and switch with the ultrawide options is a dealbreaker for me.

I was under the impression that it was supported and that the alpha release did indeed have it as an option.

Beta? Its disappeared and I am welcomed with the usual 16:9 black border nonsense on my monitor.

I never assume ultrawide for any game pre-release but when the developers specifically come out and say " hey we are going to support it" and then dont.....its a kick in the teeth.

Associate
Maybe I went into with expectations too high? the graphics look decent in a odd way (cooks my 3080 for some reason though) but overall kinda meh, resident evil 2 the gameplay is way better than the original voice acting and graphics are night day over the original, links awakening, art style is incredible with 10/10 redone soundtrack, aoe 2 had loads of qol, also looks epic on ultrawide and also costs 50% less than diablo, with diablo you get? redone cutscenes and slightly better graphics for 40 ******* quid, the gameplay feel old and stiff and I didnt feel like I was playing a improved game if that makes sense? all I could think was why play this when I have grim dawn in my library, like someone else said it feels like blizz done the bare minimum while charging maximum price, ty for the beta though lol

Man of Honour
Maybe I went into with expectations too high? the graphics look decent in a odd way (cooks my 3080 for some reason though) but overall kinda meh, resident evil 2 the gameplay is way better than the original voice acting and graphics are night day over the original, links awakening, art style is incredible with 10/10 redone soundtrack, aoe 2 had loads of qol, also looks epic on ultrawide and also costs 50% less than diablo, with diablo you get? redone cutscenes and slightly better graphics for 40 ******* quid, the gameplay feel old and stiff and I didnt feel like I was playing a improved game if that makes sense? all I could think was why play this when I have grim dawn in my library, like someone else said it feels like blizz done the bare minimum while charging maximum price, ty for the beta though lol

Definitely sounds like you went into it with expectations too high. I expected the same Diablo 2 that I know and love but with more modern graphics and thats exactly what I got, so I'm fine with that. It will meet my £ per hour requirement to equal value for my money. Will it be as good as the best modern equivalents, probably not but then I didnt expect it to be, I've never found any remaster to be as good as the best modern equivalents. Even the much heralded RE2 remaster wasnt as good as the best modern peers imo.

Associate
I really enjoyed the open beta. Gameplay harked back to simpler time and I enjoyed the fact that the inventory space is limited and you had to share town portals to make sure they didn't expire, along with swaping loot etc.

Maybe it was nostaligia as I cut my teeth on 90s PC gaming, but somehow the design and limitations hit a sweet spot for me and kept me hooked.

My only reservation is £35 for a 20+ year old game feels like Blizzard are extracting the urine.

Permabanned
The 'unexplained error' is because I need Win10.

First Win10 game I've tried that doesn't work on Win7. Not upgrading. If the game proves popular and has a regular player base that seems like it will go the distance, I'll make the change.

Soldato
OP
Launch time tomorrow is 4 PM UK (5 PM CEST). Also, the pre-load up is on Battle.net now (30 GB ish). If anyone is looking for build guides on what to play there's some good guides at maxroll for all the classes.

Back
Top Bottom