Did work get you a Xmas gift?

Man of Honour
Heard the poor folk working on Christmas Day would get a free Christmas lunch.

I heard wrong.
No Christmas lunch
Canteen is shut
Didn't bring any food

Here's hoping uber eats can bring me something!

Never trust anything you hear at work :(

Man of Honour
No, thank **** for that. One of the fringe benefits of the pandemic and subsequent WFHage is it avoids all the silly round-robin of Christmas cards, secret santa and other rubbish.
Sorry, that's more of a rant about people you work with rather than the employer themselves.

My previous employer used to give you a choice of big wine hampers (or food if you preferred) but it was a taxable benefit so it was more a case of getting nice wine for the price of cheap plonk than a gift per se. They also hired out some nice venues in London for Xmas party which must have cost a small fortune (e.g. V&A for hundreds of guests, champagne reception with capapes, sit down meal, free bar all night etc) but again I can't help but feel I'd rather they just gave us the cash instead as even after tax I can't imagine I'd have paid it out of my own pocket.

Associate
A generic Happy Christmas Email from the Operations Dept and heehaw else, used to get a £500 bonus for the Jnr Officers, Cook and Ratings, the senior Officers had a different bonus system that was paid monthly, but that all stopped in 2015. No idea what/if the office staff get anything, doubt there would have been any Christmas nights out for them for the last few years. The guys working its generally another normal work day (im 9hrs into a 12hr shift), the ones at home will at least have the joy of spending time with family/friends or being stuck in with the old Rona

I
I was asking a few mates and they didn't get anything...not even a card. :(

This is obviously upsetting and I would expect even a little something to say thank you for the work I do.

I received a package today and it contained a lovely Belgian Donut Chocolates by Chocodelice (dunno but they look amazing), £100 Virgin experience vouchers and AirPod Pros. :eek: Plus a lovely card with a message.

Certainly unexpected but hugely grateful and overwhelmed at their kindness as we're only a start-up.

What about you?

(Worst 'Work love me so gave me nice things' thread ever).

I think the new start up needs to be more careful with their money!

Soldato
No work parties this year.

Get a discount uplift and some vouchers for money off and free food.

One company I worked for - I was given a massive hamper of booze, biscuits, chocolates, cheese etc. Had jealous looks when I carried it on bus home.

I don't bother giving cards to colleagues anymore as in the past piles of cards for colleagues in the cloakroom and at checkouts which hardly anyone roots through. Don't want to waste my time and money writing out cards for hardly anyone taking them home. We had new lockers in May and had to empty them. Colleagues found cards from former colleagues that left several years ago at the bottom of their lockers!

Last edited:
Soldato
We have a company away day Thursday week, which includes, dinner, an event (this year we are doing the cube) and a night in a hotel somewhere.

We have also all been given a 5% pay rise for 6 months from October to April as a cost of living bonus.

Soldato
They're taking it away in May?
Sorry, yeah, We had our proper normal October pay rises, and then for 6 months we are all getting an extra 5% on top each month as a bonus type thing. We then also all get quarterly profit share bonus's based on very easy to hit KPIs.

The company asked everyone last year what they would like in terms of incentives and gifts from the company and everyone said Money. My company also introduced an extra days holiday for your birthday, and then last year announced anyone who reaches 10 years of employment gets an extra two weeks paid leave that year, and then again if they hit 15, 20 years etc.

Not bad for a small company with 25 employees I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom