Did work get you a Xmas gift?

Soldato
Not a thing. I did get a pen posted to me during the start of the pandemic which said on the side ‘you are doing great’ so that made up for it.

Soldato
Nothing this year, but usually get something, a bottle of booze or a book or something just to have something to unwrap. Although over the last couple of years we have had a £50 food voucher when Eat out to help out was a thing, plus a box of M&S chocolatey things last easter. I did get an 8% payrise though.

Soldato
Nice! It's too bad that HMRC absolutely loves to tax RSUs (much like cash bonuses). I remember losing well over 50% of my RSUs to tax when I still lived in the UK.

Nice. I have never met anyone who does receive them, but I am sure that you can get them (and maybe RSUs) once you hit a (very high) level of seniority. In the USA, many/most tech companies give them to most of the regular staff and you don't need to effectively be an executive to get them.

I know they're messy when they mature, but shouldn't the rate cap at c. 45% + 2% NI by the time you submit your tax return?

Edit: unless you fall in the personal allowance unwind window.

Man of Honour
Nope. Nothing. Not even a happy christmas email yet.

EDIT: At least they got the annual redundancies out of the way by early December this year. So I guess my Christmas present is not being under threat of redundancy on Christmas day, which has been the case in the past. Yay, go me \o/ Now just to wait and see if there is a January redundancy round :D

Soldato
We usually get nothing but the last couple of years we got a hamper full of treats including 2 bottles of wine for working through lockdowns.

We would have prefered a cash bonus, but better than nothing.

Also got a load of chocolate bars and tins of sweets off some damaged pallets that could not be sent out.

If Covid doesn't get us, Diabetes might. :D

Soldato
Jeez dude. You'd never expect that from the NHS! I'm NHS too, and I think an extra day's AL would have to go through the Payroll dept. They fill in a form to update your AL entitlement then it shows up as the extra day on whatever rostering system you use. Did everyone in the Trust get the £250 and the extra day? Or was it directorate-level, issued out by the directorate lead?

At my 3 workplaces then:

MOD:

Xmas gift? No.
Xmas dinner? Not paid for but was eaten in the afternoon during company time.
Extra time off? Yes, the MOD gives you 27th Dec as an extra bank holiday (plus 2 more BHs at other times of the year).

Private sector computing firm:

Xmas gift? No.
Xmas dinner? We only got the 1st drink paid for by the MD. Dinner was eaten outside of company time.
Extra time off? Yes, on Xmas Eve, we would have a buffet at 12noon then get dismissed at 1PM, so half a day off.

NHS:

Xmas gift? Usually no, but one manager I had for a few years gave us yearly gifts at around the £25-£30 mark.
Xmas dinner? Not paid for and was usually also outside of company time.
Extra time off? No. Leave entitlement is pretty decent as it is though with 33 days + 8 bank holidays.

Yes we were all shocked! Everyone in the trust got it - not directorate level, although I was worried I wouldn't as I am officially employed by the LET rather than the trust I am working in.. but apparently we're getting it as well.

Soldato
I know they're messy when they mature, but shouldn't the rate cap at c. 45% + 2% NI by the time you submit your tax return?

Edit: unless you fall in the personal allowance unwind window.

54.95% of ours are automatically sold at vesting.
To cover 45% tax band and then NI as our employee pays this but then gets it back through the sale of vested shares. We have no input on this. We just have to self declare when we sell for capital gains calculations.

for those on the lower 20% or 40% tax bands they can claim some of this back through self assessment.

Soldato
54.95% of ours are automatically sold at vesting.
To cover 45% tax band and then NI as our employee pays this but then gets it back through the sale of vested shares. We have no input on this. We just have to self declare when we sell for capital gains calculations.

for those on the lower 20% or 40% tax bands they can claim some of this back through self assessment.
I see. I just make a sell to settle declaration to my employer who then settle my PAYE and I hold on to the residual shares in my trading account.

Back
Top Bottom