Differences in Pay

Permabanned
Just found out the site that i am working at, the top earners earn more per month (before tax) than i do per year (before tax) this just sickens me. Then when they have an IT problems they wonder why you don't jump through hoops for them.

The company i work for uses an IT contractor because it benefits them, they pay the IT contractor obviously more money than I make per year and IT ends up getting shafted because of it. They can get away with not paying benefits to the IT contractor and they treat the IT contractor like ****.

The guy i sit next to who is the biggest **** ive ever met, most pompous person on the planet, went to eton boys school or whatever, speaks like a total posh git. He makes more per quarter than i do per year and he does hardly any work. He spends most of the day doing fall and occasionally has a meeting or has to do a document. But expects me to run around like a little helper. Barking orders at me, realy makes me sick.

Permabanned
OP
This is total BS, I think IT is completely under valued, especially sysadmin and IT systems support. Yea when it is not working all hell breaks lose and if they can't do something and they need IT help to do their own job sufficiently, then i am expected to do it. Mean while they are on almost 10 times my salary. IT realy needs to force these big companies to pay them a fair salary because this sort of thing is outrages.

Man of Honour
This is why it's wise not to share or discuss pay / rates with work colleagues. It can bring the kind animosity your mention.

For the record, they may pay a contractor more than you but you most likely cost them more (Employers NI, pension etc) and furthermore they are classed as expense which is fully tax deductale. I believe that employees are an asset so again, further costs/saving implied..

I find it easier to do the job I'm paid for, rather than looking around at everyone else.

Man of Honour
Tell me about (although I don't work in IT), it does make me feel a little upset when I work out what some of the big 6 figure earners take home either before or after tax! :(

Still, I just get on with it, and try not to get too bitter, and try and do my job. Who knows, one day |I may luck out and get one of those big 6 figure jobs! :D If I'm a better person, that's all that matters to me - I'd rather earn an honest wage than something I don't deserve.

Permabanned
OP
It is just a disparity in pay that i am moaning about. You see if you I work for a small company doing the exact same job then i will earn the exact same salary because i work in IT but if i work for a company that has millions of £ in the bank and deals will billion £ companies then I would expect a salary that is more in line with the sort of organization that i work. But for some reason when it comes to IT, you can be working for a no name company who barely gets by and the top company on the planet and you are expected to earn the same salary. IT is definitely under valued and under paid and is borderline exploited.

Soldato
This is total BS, I think IT is completely under valued, especially sysadmin and IT systems support.

The pay is dictated by how much it would cost to hire someone to do the job. If someone will do the same job for less than there is no reason to pay more for it. Ergo it is your own fault for accepting a low paid job. Why don't you quit instead of moaning on an internet forum?

Permabanned
OP
This is not just me, i have a good job. I am moaning about IT pay in general across the entire market.

Working in these law firms in central london where solicitors charge £800+ per hour and that is more than i make in a week. The law firm makes 100 millions of pounds per year and they have all their IT staff on the lowest possible salaries that they can get away with. Often they have outsourced IT and the staff are on even lower than market rates, the whole thing is just exploitive and sickening. In reality these IT staff are the backbone of the modern office and you see that when they phone IT asking for help on documents and help meeting deadlines. How many cases have i helped win because of working on a document etc and for what? for some cheapo exploitive salary, so these eton ****** can sit back and say jolly good ol job chap. :confused:

Soldato
Sorry groen, but IT is a facility to make them money, like a photocopier, or a set of lights for the office. It doesn't make money directly, so they like any business will pay as little as they can for the facility to be functional but nothing more than that.

If IT made money directly they'd pay more for their kit, and pay you more to maintain it.

Soldato
Happened to me despite doing the same job, working there longer and having more qualifications, they refused to give me a pay review. At the point the department collapsed (which I knew was going to happen) I left just to stick the boot in. - Dread to think how much their agency bill was to replace everyone :D

End of the day if they don't value you, just find another employer who will.

MW

Permabanned
OP
You think a train strike is bad for the economy. A sysadmin and IT support staff strike would see the economy ground to a stand still. Yea IT is an expense, one that they depend on to make money.

I have done case work. I have worked on presentations that have gone in to tenders that have landed multi million £ jobs. What do i get for it? nothing.

IF we had to do a national IT strike, the entire economy would ground to a halt.

Associate
Welcome to IT. They can sack you any time and there will be 50 Indians in line to take your place. Or they can sack your department and outsource to India and get 3 guys for the same price as you. Can't say the same for lawyers, can you?

Permabanned
OP
No i think this sort of thinking is the reason why IT gets exploited so bad, indian support is definitely not up to par with the support that i am expected to offer. Don't know about your job, but my job can not be outsourced to india because it requires on site presence.

Soldato
IF we had to do a national IT strike, the entire economy would ground to a halt.

No, it'd slowly crumble as systems failed and couldn't be fixed by 'turn it off and back on'. You'd starve long before the public noticed.

It is just a disparity in pay that i am moaning about. you can be working for a no name company who barely gets by and the top company on the planet and you are expected to earn the same salary. IT is definitely under valued and under paid and is borderline exploited.

Because you are not a wealth creator - you are an internal service, arguably more useful to the wealth creators than the cleaner but you are still just a service.

don't like it, get a job in a different role or different company where *you* are the wealth creator.

Back
Top Bottom