Diplomatic Immunity

Caporegime
Well then she should have stayed then and pushed her case then shouldn't she have?

Fleeing made any assumption of innocence hard to justify.

Soldato

It was a genuine mistake and we don't punish people for that unlike the US. Someone dying doesn't make it any less of an accident.

Except we do!

Its called "Causing Death by careless driving" you can go to prison for it, and there is essentially no defence. It is the modern day "Code of Hammurabi"

Well then she should have stayed then and pushed her case then shouldn't she have?

Fleeing made any assumption of innocence hard to justify.

Faced with the above, I'd run if I had the chance!

I am not sure that a similar charge exists in the US, (Though I stand to be corrected) I suspect that in the US she would get a fine, perhaps a license suspension. And of course end up on the wrong end of a large "Wrongful Death" civil suit (Which would be quite right, and all of which would have been the case in the UK before the "Judicial Vengeance" laws were introduced.)

But unless she had been shown to be intoxicated or otherwise reckless. I doubt if the consequences would be any more severe than that.

"Somebody has died so somebody has to go to Prison" is DM justice and even in the US's highly politicized justice system, they don't generally do that!

Associate

Except we do!

Its called "Causing Death by careless driving" you can go to prison for it, and there is essentially no defence. It is the modern day "Code of Hammurabi"

Well it obv depends on the circumstances. If the lad was on the wrong side of the road she would have still caused his death (car vs bike) but would not have necessarily be done for death by careless driving, eg if he had no lights or came over the crest of a hill straight into her etc.

Man of Honour
So I guess that essentially means she can never leave the US to travel anywhere covered by the warrant. Good.

I might be wrong but from what I understand it isn't a warrant for her arrest as such - it just means she can potentially be brought in for questioning in any country covered by it with limited scope for detaining her (unless that brought up grounds for detaining her properly they'd then have to let her go).

Caporegime
I might be wrong but from what I understand it isn't a warrant for her arrest as such - it just means she can potentially be brought in for questioning in any country covered by it with limited scope for detaining her (unless that brought up grounds for detaining her properly they'd then have to let her go).
https://www.interpol.int/en/How-we-work/Notices/Red-Notices

Tells you all you need to know. It isn't an arrest warrant.

Caporegime
Anne Sacoolas: Interpol Red Notice issued for US official's wife wanted over death of Harry Dunn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...pol-red-notice-harry-dunn-death-a9508886.html

Damn, actually impressed the government is doing the right thing on this one... especially given potential pressure from the US to back down and obvious news coverage of a rather pressing global event providing plenty of cover/distractions from any negative headlines if they did delay/drop this thing.

Caporegime
Well that depends doesn't it, is it up to Interpol and how much does the US contort that organisation? It's just hassle ultimately.

Still, at least it was something...

Associate
Could we not bribe a UK diplomat to fly to the US and run her over? then cry Diplomatic Immunity? Picture Mr Bean doing his best smug face to Trump as he can't do anything cos Immunity :D :D

P.S Not actually condoning that someone run her over but surely this Immunity excrement needs to be abolished....

Permabanned
This is still rumbling on... No idea how Anna Sacoolas can go about her day to day life without this being constantly on her mind. Does she think it will just go away? Why on earth she doesn't face the music and give the poor family some closure is beyond me... No way she would have gone to jail so she just have just admitted guilt, taken a slap on the wrist and moved on... Better for everyone concerned.

Caporegime
This is still rumbling on... No idea how Anna Sacoolas can go about her day to day life without this being constantly on her mind. Does she think it will just go away? Why on earth she doesn't face the music and give the poor family some closure is beyond me... No way she would have gone to jail so she just have just admitted guilt, taken a slap on the wrist and moved on... Better for everyone concerned.
Because she's been told by US lawyers and Diplomats not to say anything at all.

Man of Honour
I have been following a thread on a U.S. forum about the Harry Dunn/Ann Sacoolas case, where somewhat surprisingly, not all posters are rabid Ms. Sacoolas supporters, but a sizeable chunk don’t think that she should return to U.K., of her own volition or under pressure from either Government.
A post appeared this week though that I found extremely difficult to swallow, it is as follows;

“Looks like the next court appearance will be in the US on 1/29/21, since I imagine the process for an appeal hearing in the UK will take longer.

Don't know how accurate or not this is, but I read comment attributed to Harry's mother, that when they were in the White House, and Sacoolas was in the next room, Trump indicated that if they would meet Sacoolas and agree to drop the case, they could walk out of the White House with a check.
I doubt this case will make Biden's radar.”

Personally I think that whoever posted that is a unicorn breeder, no matter how much I disagree with Trump, I can’t believe that he’d allow a claim like that to escape into the public domain, let alone make that offer in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom