• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Directx 12 and async compute

Soldato
Hi all,

I ordered a Gigabyte g1 1080 a while ago and have a delivery date for the end of next week.
Since it's been on order i have read on the net that it doesn't do Directx 12 or async compute properly, where as amd 480 does. Would i be better cancelling and waiting for the quicker amd stuff?
My system currently has a 2500k processor and im gaming at 1080p, sold my hd5770 so without a card at the moment but could wait till the end of he year early next. Stuff i will be playing will be the command and conquer series, dawn of war series,company of heroes series, supreme commander series, homeworld series, ashes of a singularity, grey goo and metal gear solid v. i may also upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor in the future.

any advise appreciated:)

you be cpu bound at 1080p atm.
a 1070 or such would still be overkill.
better go 4K HDR once those monitors hit the streets

Associate
I find it quite alarming people just happily say buy a 1080 for gaming at 1080p when the 1070 will do exactly the same? With less waste and cheaper? It's almost like some people are just blinded by large fps numbers which don't mean a thing if your gaming on a 1080p 60hz screen?

It's intrepid your getting 200fps in a game on a 60hz screen, it's not different to getting 70fps on that screen.. none, you are simply paying for something you do not need.

The only thing your buying is time on the next upgrade as it will be a good while before something taxes that card at 1080p 60hz. Especially looking at the games you want to play which are mostly RTS if I'm correct ? The type of game that traditionally relies on a lot of cpu power?

Like I said earlier you would be better served getting something lower end and, even a 980ti is cheap now and will hit 60fps in most things at 1080p, or atleast it was a few weeks ago if your read any of the nvidia 980ti threads on these forums, and perhaps upgrading your cpu to an i7 or something.

If it was me personally i would probably buy a custom 480 and a Freesync screen, you would get the benefit of async in titles that support it and also the smootb game play of a Freesync panel. I'd probably go for a 1440p panel and then upgrade the 480 to Vega later, however a 1080p 144hz screen would also be a decent option.

At the current price of a 1080 you can buy a 480 and a decent 27" 1440p 144hz screen and still have some change

Agree

money would be better spent on a decent monitor if your an RTS fan higher res more real estate more of the battlefield you can see simple....

my choice would be 980ti / 1070 then the money you have saved not getting a 1080 spend on a 1440p screen

I run ultra wide 3440 x 1440 with a 980 ti but heavily over clocked and love it...

I am the same love my RTS's all of em ultra wide is great for em

I would advise OC your current cpu if you are able too would help or even pick up a cheap 2nd hand 2700 i7 if your mboard can run it ...Most RTS games are cpu heavy

Last edited:
Associate
This talk of Vulkan etc. is quite interesting. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out over the years. I can't see the 480 pushing to challenge a 1070 but it might stride past the 1060.

I've got a 1070 and I intend it to be an investment for a good few years. However, if we see the pendulum swing towards AMD with higher spec cards, perhaps a 490 etc, then I might trade it in.

All down to the software at the end of the day.

bru

bru

Soldato
So have we really descended down to saying you don't need a 1080 its too powerful, buy a 480 instead. :rolleyes:

Just remember when your putting it in your machine, with your quad core/hyper-threaded CPU (maybe even a six or eight core) that you've overclocked to the max( why aren't you using a i3 its all you need) and don't even think about overclocking your shiny new 480 as it is powerful enough already.

Really just think about it, we all want more power, so don't even think about saying we don't.

Can even a pair of 1080's give an absolute minimum of 165fps at 1440Hz (that is never dropping below it) in every game out there, because if they can, then you can say they are too powerful, just hope that nothing more demanding is released before they are obsolete. :rolleyes:

Soldato
So have we really descended down to saying you don't need a 1080 its too powerful, buy a 480 instead. :rolleyes:

Yes, we have. And why not? The OP is playing on a 1080p monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate. You don't spend £600 to get the same results you'd witness at £200. It doesn't matter if the white text in the corner says "250fps" instead of "90fps", you're getting the same visuals at the same quality from your monitor. Drive a Ferrari at 60mph or a Skoda at 60mph, the road wont have a different speed limit based on your car.

Plus, the cheaper card wont depreciate anywhere near as much meaning you can resell more easily to get the powerful card when you're ready for it.

Really just think about it, we all want more power, so don't even think about saying we don't.

Power you can't use isn't a benefit and a GPU is just one part of the cost of a gaming system. Unless money is no object, then a smart person prioritizes. For example, a 1080p 144Hz monitor with Freesync and a 4GB 480 would thrash a 60Hz non-synced 1080p monitor driven by a Nvidia 1080 GPU in any kind of general public "which looks best" survey. And be within the same rough price bracket!

Some people here don't seem to understand constraint or prioritization. They just recommend to every poster who comes along to buy the most expensive component in each case.

Associate
Amd seems to have dedicated async units while nvidia doesn't, approach of amd is simply much more efficient. Once Vega arrives u won't see much of 1080 supporters lol Thing is Amd doesn't have equivalent to 1080 right now, so nvidia fans have talking points but once Vega comes out i feel that there will be no more debates

Associate
Drive a Ferrari at 60mph or a Skoda at 60mph, the road wont have a different speed limit based on your car.

The speed limit makes no difference, just saying. It's the feeling, accessories and the overall quality of the drive that matters.

Anyway back to GPUs, the OP did mention he wants to go for 4k so we can assume he won't stay at 1080 forever.

Associate
Amd seems to have dedicated async units while nvidia doesn't, approach of amd is simply much more efficient. Once Vega arrives u won't see much of 1080 supporters lol Thing is Amd doesn't have equivalent to 1080 right now, so nvidia fans have talking points but once Vega comes out i feel that there will be no more debates

by the time AMD comes up with something like that Nvidia would have already moved to other things. AMD won't have talking points then either and that's not a good position to be in.

There comes a time when a decision needs to be made and that's entirely up to everyone : go with AMD and freesync or nvidia and gsync. Everyone can look at the facts, the need and the budget and make a decision based on all of them put together.

Soldato
The speed limit makes no difference, just saying. It's the feeling, accessories and the overall quality of the drive that matters.

Maybe, but it's just an analogy about how much you actually make use of what you got. If the OP wants to sit there stroking their GPU and admiring its potential, I'll concede the point. If they just want to game, I'm holding to what I say.

Associate
by the time AMD comes up with something like that Nvidia would have already moved to other things. AMD won't have talking points then either and that's not a good position to be in.

There comes a time when a decision needs to be made and that's entirely up to everyone : go with AMD and freesync or nvidia and gsync. Everyone can look at the facts, the need and the budget and make a decision based on all of them put together.

By moving to other things u mean arch change or Titan version of 1080 ? if it is first thing it is pretty much impossible cause Vega will be here in 3 or 4 months. Second one won't move nvidia too far thats for sure. They need arch change cause future will only bring more vulkan and dx12 titles. Amd just hit the nail with Mantle thing and now it is paying off simple as that

Associate
By moving to other things u mean arch change or Titan version of 1080 ? if it is first thing it is pretty much impossible cause Vega will be here in 3 or 4 months. Second one won't move nvidia too far thats for sure. They need arch change cause future will only bring more vulkan and dx12 titles. Amd just hit the nail with Mantle thing and now it is paying off simple as thag

We shall see, hyping things up seems to be a big thing and the last one did not work out very well. Let's see what happens in reality vs what some people wish will happen.

AMD supporters seem to think Nvidia will stay idle and not do anything and if that's the case of course AMD will catch up.

Is that likely to happen though? I seriously doubt it but I am happy to be proven wrong when the time comes. With facts that is ...

Associate
There is no more hype it is real, gain of rx 480 under Vulkan is just insane and if Vega is anything like 480 we will see similar or maybe even better results. Not saying nvidia is junk or anything like that on the contrary they always had superior software which gave them lead and now it is gone under new apis

Associate
And if the AMD grass suddenly looks greener further down the line, trade up and move across. It's the sensible thing.

Associate
There is no more hype it is real, gain of rx 480 under Vulkan is just insane and if Vega is anything like 480 we will see similar or maybe even better results. Not saying nvidia is junk or anything like that on the contrary they always had superior software which gave them lead and now it is gone under new apis

Well it should definitely make things interesting again. What I want to see is what Nvidia does ( I've seena statement they doing some work related to Vulkan ), but then I want to see how this Api evolves compared to DX.

Is it just a fad that will die quickly, will it catch up, will DX fade away? Competition is always good, especially when it's for real. Oh and nice to talk to someone who can actually express ideas and have a conversation without resorting to insults.

That's always a huge plus in my book.

Back
Top Bottom