• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Soldato
XB1 has re-programmable logic. DX12 is not final version it supports for 10 year plan

:eek:

720P Xbone for 10 years..

mantel is not the same as dx12 ...... dx12 is a new gfx api a revolutionary change ... it is way way beyond mantel.. mantel is a little to late.. mantel should have been years ago. the jump from dx11.1 to 12 is a massive jump .. more then 8 to 11.1 dx12 is a full overhaul.

LTMatt will be here to defend Mantel very soon :D

Last edited:
Soldato
So the new dx is designed around the xboxone to take advantage of the hardware inside. The xboxone will be on par with the pc for around 5 years. Is it just me thinking this is not in anyway about the pc or moving the pc forward. It even states it will be out on xboxone first with no release date for pc.

pinch of salt I think.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So the new dx is designed around the xboxone to take advantage of the hardware inside. The xboxone will be on par with the pc for around 5 years. Is it just me thinking this is not in anyway about the pc or moving the pc forward. It even states it will be out on xboxone first with no release date for pc.

I will be surprised if it gets anywhere near what most people on these forums are using now let alone in 5 years time.:D

Soldato
I will be surprised if it gets anywhere near what most people on these forums are using now let alone in 5 years time.:D

Was thinking that but if ms make it all about xboxone and it does what it says in the article dx12 wont be on pc. Xboxone competing with high end pcs for 5 years would see xboxone sales rocket.

Soldato
So basically this guy is clinging on onto the hope that the Xbox One has a hidden GPU stacked within the SOC that will be utilized with DirectX 12, a Trojan Horse if you will. To pretend to be weak inferior hardware and then later on when Direct X12, release the full power.

This just reads like a Xbox fan that likes Xbox a lil to much tbh..

Man of Honour
Was thinking that but if ms make it all about xboxone and it does what it says in the article dx12 wont be on pc. Xboxone competing with high end pcs for 5 years would see xboxone sales rocket.

I think Mantle when it works properly is getting near enough everything that can be had in extra performance. At low resolutions and settings this is quite a lot and at high resolutions and settings on high end CPUs about 5%. The point is I can not see DX12 doing any better and knowing Microsoft it will end up doing less than Mantle.

Soldato
I think Mantle when it works properly is getting near enough everything that can be had in extra performance. At low resolutions and settings this is quite a lot and at high resolutions and settings on high end CPUs about 5%. The point is I can not see DX12 doing any better and knowing Microsoft it will end up doing less than Mantle.

I know was just stating a few things they said. It seems very far fetched to say the least. It said a 300-500% boost from dx12 on the Xboxone. If that was true it would make the xboxone more powerful than any single gpu on the market today

Last edited:
Caporegime

But then your on a 12 Thread CPU

We have already talked about this, We can't all run overclocked £750 CPU's, for those of us who are not that fortunate running on mainstream CPU's we get a ~100% boost in Min FPS.

90% of the Desktop market welcome Mantle or DX12

Last edited:
Caporegime
The biggest benefit DX12 is likely to bring to Xbox One is the hope/hype that it is going to make Xbox One as powerful as PS4.

It's desperate times for Microsoft they're under attack on PC (Mantle) and their console is severely lacking from a hardware (particularly GPU) standpoint, DX12 is now the new secret sauce that will make Xbox One a PS4 beater.

Man of Honour
But then your on a 12 Thread CPU

We have already talked about this, We can't all run overclocked £750 CPU's, for those of us who are not that fortunate running on mainstream CPU's we get a ~100% boost in Min FPS.

90% of the Desktop market welcome Mantle or DX12

You are missing it, I am saying that I don't think DX12 will be as good as Mantle.

Soldato
I hope DX12 is better Image quality wise and has way lower overheads than mantle, But i'm prepared to be disappointed as unless MS has suddenly done a lot of work i cant see it happening

Caporegime
lol, so much nonsense. There are two people who post around the web in general and on semiaccurate forums, jeff rigby and misterx whatever his username is, they are both stark raving looneys.

There is no hidden unused gpu on the xbox to make it massively more powerful, die stacking is CLOSE, for SIMPLE structures like memory, never in a million years was it going to suddenly make an epic die structure stacked on a commodity product on a 28nm process, literally not possible. When it appears it will be on the highest, highest margin chips, not commodity products. We're talking about a professional cpu/gpu/military product that you can make for say £1000 a chip and sell for £5-10k a chip.

So that is bogus, DX12..... once again as I've tried to point out in every thread. The 360 has a low level DX, well not really comparable to anything desktop, they simply had a low level API that exposed ALL the hardware effectively and from day one. They had a pretty similar to DX9 higher level API on there as well. Big game studios with the money and man power used the low level API, small studios or indie games that wanted to target as few or even just one API for their game used DX9 on every platform.

AMD when talking up Mantle said the same, this will be great for those that NEED THE POWER, and not worthwhile for smaller companies that can't afford even one extra guy for a few months to implement it and it won't bring any actual benefit to some indie game that uses less power than is available on an APU.

The X1 will have a low level API, and a DX11.2 high level API for the same reasons. Dx12 will likely be available along side DX11.2, it won't automatically enable more performance than the already existing low level API. "low level" is lets say a ball park term, you can have multiple low level api's of which are all on slightly different "levels". An abstracted, cross platform, fairly general "low level" api will never be as powerful or expose as many features as a basically to the mental one platform specific API.

DX12 will likely expose more performance to those indie guys, but still lack significantly in comparison to the existing low level API on there. PS3 was the same, it had a low level roughtly openGL based api AND offered a higher level openGL api for the same reasons and I can only presume the PS4 has more than one APi available depending on what the game dev feels is most appropriate.

DX12 itself MUST be scalable somehow or it's low level ness is being overhyped. After DX12 releases there will still be thousands of indie game makers with few employee's who don't require and don't want the responsibility of say controlling memory usage directly, who do not want a low level API. So either MS is fudging the truth on how low level they intend to go or DX12 will have various options with which features you actually want.

DX12 has effectively no chance of improving based Xbox One performance, it won't come close to a console low level api. It's relatively easy to make a too the metal low level API, the lower level you go, the less to the API there actually is and the more control you simply give to the game dev. Exposing console hardware is easy, and it's got the same basic architecture as the PS4 except 50% less shaders. Effectively any feature Xbox have, PS4 have, just more of it. No api will bridge that gap.

Back
Top Bottom