• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wait...how do u plug in 6 cables into the back of a gfx card :confused:

Special card with 6 connections, basicaly looks like you get adaptors that you can plug HDMI cables into so the actual ports on the card can be smaller.

Edit:

HD5870test.jpg

Look at the back of the card, I'm either right or close.

Soldato
honestly though, September 10th was a serious anti-climax, I find myself having gotten seriously hyped up for nothing. All we get is some pics and ultra niche multi-display support

Well it did the opposite for me. I wasn't that interested in the ATI offering (still on a 7800GT...) The Eyefinity technology has sold this card (and 3 monitors - depending on the price of the thin bezel ones) to me.

Associate
honestly though, September 10th was a serious anti-climax, I find myself having gotten seriously hyped up for nothing. All we get is some pics and ultra niche multi-display support
Eyefinity is an incredible piece of technology and how you can consider it "ultra niche" I've no idea. As a gamer, I certainly won't say no to having a much higher res just by simply adding another monitor which I can of course use outside of gaming too!

Associate
More useless pictures

http://www.czechgamer.com/novinky/5038/ATI-Radeon-HD-5870-prvni-fotky-bez-chladice.html

"Ultra niche"? Is it not likely that in a few months time there will be cards available for £100-150 with this technology and anyone can add an extra monitor for about the same price, come Christmas 2010 multi-monitor will be totally mainstream because of this announcement we've seen in the last day.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That is a long card, I probably wont be able to fit in into my Antec 900 :(

I think I might have to wait till the 6870's come out, as by then USB 3, PCIE3 will be out and I will just build a new PC with a Antec 1200.

Unless when they make the custom PCB's they make smaller ones in 3-4 months time :)

Soldato
Personally this multi-monitor support doesn't interest me. Although my current screen (an HP w2408h) has only one working input, it's the best looking piece of technology I own and I love the design. So I've yet to find one I'd want to replace it with. Getting a second is not an option as the bezel is too thick and the screen is no longer being made.

Soldato
Soldato
That is a long card, I probably wont be able to fit in into my Antec 900 :(

I think I might have to wait till the 6870's come out, as by then USB 3, PCIE3 will be out and I will just build a new PC with a Antec 1200.

Unless when they make the custom PCB's they make smaller ones in 3-4 months time :)

Your antec 900 will be fine.

Soldato
Personally this multi-monitor support doesn't interest me. Although my current screen (an HP w2408h) has only one working input, it's the best looking piece of technology I own and I love the design. So I've yet to find one I'd want to replace it with. Getting a second is not an option as the bezel is too thick and the screen is no longer being made.

I have to agree with you there. I use to use multiple monitors when I had two 19" LCDs. But as time went on I realised it was no longer what I needed. All I really needed were bigger screens.

When the 5870X2 comes out I will probs likely get a 30" monitor to really use the full potential :D

D13

D13

Associate
I never said eyefinity was useless or irrelevant, but surely we can agree that only a very small percentage of ppl use multiple displays.

Yes you are right saying it indicates better performance at higher res, but lookin at front page 'sept 10th you wont believe your eyes'
I mean c'mon, I cant be the only one who was expecting something a bit more substantial.

Soldato
i use dual 24" screen at present with a dell 2407 and a 2408

i might have to get another to try this i cant wait for the 5870x2 to replace my current 4870x2.

Associate
Do overclockers intend to start selling Mini Display port to VGA or HDMI or DVI etc adapters , the only ones i can find are rather expensive Apple ones elsewhere

Soldato
Do overclockers intend to start selling Mini Display port to VGA or HDMI or DVI etc adapters , the only ones i can find are rather expensive Apple ones elsewhere

I would hope you'd get at least a couple of them in the box, say 1xVGA and 1xDVI.

Otherwise it strikes me as a bit of a cash in.

Associate
I never said eyefinity was useless or irrelevant, but surely we can agree that only a very small percentage of ppl use multiple displays.

I think this comes down to past performance is not an indicator of future performance. People haven't used multiple displays in the past because it required extra hardware or software and could be tricky to set up and wasn't always compatible with the software/games they wanted to use. In the future they will because it is now a very simple solution and will soon be pretty cheap too.

It's like Henry Ford being told his model T wouldn't catch on because only a small percentage of people used cars. The model T was cheap and simple to use and it changed the world.

Soldato
I think this comes down to past performance is not an indicator of future performance. People haven't used multiple displays in the past because it required extra hardware or software and could be tricky to set up and wasn't always compatible with the software/games they wanted to use. In the future they will because it is now a very simple solution and will soon be pretty cheap too.

Very true, the monitor manufacturers must be rubbing their hands with glee :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom