• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Biggest thread in graphics card section ever? Biggest ever thread about a new product?

I'm in work now till 10, will have to catch up when I get back.

Man of Honour
I'm sure it will be a good card, although now I am on X58 I have been tempted to grab a cheap 260 to try out SLi.

Personally, I like the look of the DX11 titles and I'm about to buy a new place and my office will have space for loads of screens...

Bit late in the game for 260GTX SLI - unless you can grab a 2nd one really really cheap... but until we see how things shape up DX11 wise I wouldn't be making any motions GPU wise.

Mind you my 260 SLI absolutely shatters anything at 2048x :D

Permabanned
Why does it have to be positive? would that upset your preconceptions?

Still not an answer, seriously, is this really how big Mister games dev deals with questions?

You acting like their actions were pretty positive, so I questioned how it was, you've failed to respond twice now, third time lucky maybe?

Man of Honour
Still not an answer, seriously, is this really how big Mister games dev deals with questions?

You acting like their actions were pretty positive, so I questioned how it was, you've failed to respond twice now, third time lucky maybe?

Your getting really really tiresomely petty... again please have a look at your preconceptions - why does it have to be that everything I say about nVidia has to be positive and everything I say about ATI negative? it really really doesn't work like that.

I did not say or act like anything they would be doing according to my post would be positive neither did I spin it in a positive light... thats your preconception of me talking.

Soldato
Pressuring the majority of developers to implement vendor specific paths for graphical features that can't be run under their current DX10 spec - nVidia cards to support a lot of features through their own extensions - their "DX10.1" cards will likely expand on this to include anything that is likely to be used under DX11.

Are you seriously saying Nvidia are going to break away from the PC industry ?

Man of Honour
I don't follow you?

This is how nVidia have been doing things for years... getting developers to implement an ARB or DX standardised path and NV path into their games (and some developers have included ATI specific paths) - so I don't see it changing now.

Permabanned
Are you seriously saying Nvidia are going to break away from the PC industry ?

To me, it sounds like he's saying nVidia pressure devs into using nVidia specific paths to ensure it runs best on nVidia.

Fits in with the whole 'TWIMTBP' campaign, they want it to run best on NV hardware, not because they're faster, but because they've got lines of code specially added to support features specific to their cards.

Sound pretty low to me really when you couple it with how we all know nVidia behaves.

Soldato
I don't follow you?

This is how nVidia have been doing things for years... getting developers to implement an ARB or DX standardised path and NV path into their games (and some developers have included ATI specific paths) - so I don't see it changing now.

Sure, paying devs to include support for your technologies is fine, but paying devs to actually REMOVE support for your competition's technologies is downright dirty (as they did with DX10.1).

Soldato
To me, it sounds like he's saying nVidia pressure devs into using nVidia specific paths to ensure it runs best on nVidia.

Fits in with the whole 'TWIMTBP' campaign, they want it to run best on NV hardware, not because they're faster, but because they've got lines of code specially added to support features specific to their cards.

Sound pretty low to me really when you couple it with how we all know nVidia behaves.

To me it just sounds a lot like what Microsoft did with IE, used their own variations on JavaScript, HTML, and CSS which ultimately hurt the reputation of their browser firstly amongst web developers (who had to spend copious amounts of time getting their web pages to work in IE), but later amongst users. I could see a similar thing happening to Nvidia in regards to that if they're not careful.

Permabanned
They never directly paid devs to remove it... but there were incentives for it happening... while I can understand why nVidia did it from a business perspective I don't agree with it.

Still i've never actually seen any evidence to back this up, only the short statement from the developer giving their reason for removing it.

Associate
so the 5770 is going to be worse than 4870, but with directx 11 support. and more expensive.

What are you going to choose? better performance or dx11 support? >.<

Associate
It would be nice if we got some benchmarks prior to the hardware release.
I am pretty sure ATI's driver department will be hard at work to add full support for the new hardware. Maybe ATI doesn't want their hardware being benchmarked with older driver that will have some negative effect on their performance. Nobody knows.
In addition showing the performance of the new cards prior to release even with complete drivers would make Nvidia's job of pricing their current hardware much easier on the 23rd.

Caporegime
Nvidia hilarity :p

In response, Nvidia said in a statement, “The gaming world has moved to dynamic realism, which depicts actual physical movement more realistically than ever before. For example, the No. 1 PC game coming out next week is ‘Batman: Arkham Assyum,’ which takes advantage of graphics plus physics to give it extraordinary realism. Because we support GPU-accelerated physics, our $129 card that’s shipping today is faster than their new RV870 (code name for new AMD chips) that sells for $399.”

http://venturebeat.com/2009/09/10/amd-introduces-a-graphics-chip-that-can-power-six-computer-displays/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom