Disgusting display of Racism

Man of Honour
I’ve tried to use google translate on that but I’m still none the wiser.

I’m going out on a limb here in assuming what Vincent MAY have meant, but perhaps he meant that if he donated to a cancer charity rather than an animal charity, it wouldn’t mean that he didn’t care about animals.
Apologies if I overstepped there Vincent :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I'm still not understanding how a scholarship, self-funded by a music star to enable a few more black kids to go to one of the countrys best university's, is racist to white people.

If I donate money to a Cancer charity instead of the RSPCA, it doesn't mean that I want to harm animals.

There's a lot you don't seem to get...

For a start it doesn't allow them to go to uni. They've already been accepted and have access to the same funding as everyone else.

Secondly the criteria for giving the scholarship is literally skin colour.

Thirdly this is being supported by two private corporations. If I ran a shop and charged black people twice as much as white people, it would be against the law. If I refused to serve black people based on their skin colour, it would be against the law.

To preclude someone from something based solely on the colour of their skin is racism by its very definition.

Soldato
I'm still not understanding how a scholarship, self-funded by a music star to enable a few more black kids to go to one of the countrys best university's, is racist to white people.

It's not racism. It's discrimination on the basis of skin colour. (Someone tell me if they those two are the same or not?)

It also isn't enabling them. They are already there, they have made it, they also have the funding through loans. The main thing this does is remove the repayments and the necessity to self fund through part time work while studying, and inspires other black students to aim for these elite universities.

I think it's great, but it opens the door to questions about our attitudes to discrimination. Are we a society that accepts it, or doesn't? There's a fair bit of doublethink going on.

Caporegime
It's not racism. It's discrimination on the basis of skin colour. (Someone tell me if they those two are the same or not?)

It also isn't enabling them. They are already there, they have made it, they also have the funding through loans. The main thing this does is remove the repayments and the necessity to self fund through part time work while studying, and inspires other black students to aim for these elite universities.

I think it's great, but it opens the door to questions about our attitudes to discrimination. Are we a society that accepts it, or doesn't? There's a fair bit of doublethink going on.

Erm...discrimination on the basis of skin colour would be racism

Associate
Been looking into this and posted about it elsewhere.

There are apparently loads of these 'grants for black owned business' type things coming up right now that others linked to in such discussions.

So if you happen to be white, asian, hispanic, middle eastern, you just have to suffer with the potential of losing your business (ok some of the grants specify BAME, but some are 'Black' only like this scholarship).

This is literally going to drive white owned businesses out of competition if they cant afford to keep going post Covid, and only allow BAME owned ones to flourish.

And ofc the age old question comes up again and again - 'what if you just apply for it and say you're black?'.

Soldato
Erm...discrimination on the basis of skin colour would be racism

Oh, from what I've been reading, listening, watching over the past few years has led me to believe that racism doesn't have to be discrimination based at all, and that discrimination is actually ok as long as it has benefits to an oppressed group.

I'm being my usual facetious self on this.

I'm on a balancing point with this as I've grown up with believing, and having a fundamental attitude that treating people differently based on something as uncontrollable as a disability, sex, age, colour, sexual orientation, etc etc is wrong - but now live in a world that is seemingly accepting and championing of the opposite in the name of progress and equality.

On one hand I can see the effect of past inequalities, attitudes and treatments echoing through to the current (but not universal) experience of people how have nonwhite skin tones. Then on the other have a tingle that discrimination, no matter how well intended and heartwarming, is still wrong.

To see kids get such an amazing leg up in society (Cambridge is for the elite, they'll go on to have amazing lives and inspire many) cannot be met with anything other than happiness for them. As Vincent above points out, you can be for one thing without being against another. However in this case, it's not white kids that you would be against, it's the notion that discrimination is ok, not sure where I sit on that yet.

Society needs to decide if discrimination is ok or not.
Places of work need to decide if they tolerate discrimination or not ( handbooks saying they don't while running black/women/etc only schemes).

At the moment there's just the implication that it's ok, and it's not quite clear.

Associate
I mean if I was rich enough id try it as a social experiment:

'Scholarships for rich white kids only'

- Must be White British. Parent's combined annual income must be at least £75,000 pa.

Surely this would have absolutely no backlash.

Associate
But I am commenting on the topic at hand, just not in the very direct and repetitive (see stats above) way you are. Self reflection is something we all struggle with from time to time.

No you're not doing, all you're doing is picking at people that are posting in this thread.

Imagine people having interests and opinions that are different to yours. Wow, this is a super bad thing somehow.

Everyone claims to want 'diversity', but at the same time get mad when they see people with different opinions, or when they see non white people that aren't 100% soy fueled blithering liberals.

Back
Top Bottom