Do supermarkets give compo when staff bump into customers?

Caporegime
I was in Morrisons earlier.
Walking around the corner of an isle, There's a Morrisons worker walking towards me but looking behind her and talking loudly to another member of staff by the self service tills.

I see shes going to walk straight into me, my only choice of action would be to start walking backwords.

so I do nothing and let her bump into my shoulder.

They both start howling with laughter each other thinking it's hilarious.

I'm not bothered in the slightest, she says sorry as we both walk off.

I continue my shop, and then when I'm at the self service till with the big long belts, the other staff member who witnessed it went out of her way to walk about 20 ft over to me.
"if you want to put in a claim go to the help desk"

I thought she was joking so just laughed and said "I'm fine"

but the more I think about it, for her to come over to me and say that, 10minutes later it wouldn't be funny anymore so she must have been serious?

people really put in a claim for that? and supermarkets pay out with a store gift card for a few quid or what?

If I was an old lady the force probably would have knocked me to the floor tbh, but to someone my size it was basically nothing and my posture remained totally passive with no annoyance.

Last edited:
Yet here we are.
I'm genuinely curious if they do pay out.

it was clearly an accident with no harm do ne to either party.

Maybe its a store policy now since they order pick during customer hours and they can be annoying.

i'm gonna guess the worker wasn't fit, cause lets be honest, who's gonna complain about a fit bird bumping into them.
She had blonde hair and was slim, I never looked at her after she bumped into me so didn't see her face.
probably in her 30s I guess, but coulda been in her 40s and fit.. no idea

and I wasn't going to complain anyway

Last edited:
I thought she was joking so just laughed and said "I'm fine"

but the more I think about it, for her to come over to me and say that, 10minutes later it wouldn't be funny anymore so she must have been serious?

This was you to the lady who was clearly being sarcastic, wasn't it?

FqBDNSH.png

This was you to the lady who was clearly being sarcastic, wasn't it?
Kinda embarrassed even though it wasn't my fault, and would have been happy to leave the store without a single word :D
I'm using the self service tills for a reason :cry:

Last edited:
About 10 year ago or more, I had a mannequin which was sat on a high shelf in House of Fraser (Binns) fall off, I didn't find it funny at the time as I ended up on the floor with a bump on my head, I should have probally put a claim in for that.

It's probably so they can give you a token settlement instead of you going legal on them, only in this case there's no damage anyway, so you wouldn't have a case.

They won’t pay, but their insurance company will.

You will have to make a claim to them, like any personal injury claim.
I clearly wasn't injured it was basically the same as a hard shove to the shoulder/chest

seems weird, but maybe its just a thing since order pickers started working in stores.

get bumped get a £5 discount on your next shop or so..

If they are going by the book anything like this is supposed to go down as a near miss and documented, which gives you the opportunity to open a claim but likely nothing would come of it, possibly a token offering to pre-empt any further action.

Back
Top Bottom