Do supermarkets give compo when staff bump into customers?

I'm leaving the world of retail for good on Tuesday. Going on holiday in under a week's time and on annual leave for a fortnight. Don't want to work in retail again, but ok with head office, store support centres, distribution centre admin.

Perhaps need to find another retail worker to take the mick off.

Earlier this year, a colleague brushed a customer with a roller cage. She demanded the colleague to be sacked. Got £20 gift card to STFU.

Sorry fella, I'm sure someone will be along to sweep you off your feet into the roll of your dreams. Try not to get too trollied on holiday.

Earlier this year, a colleague brushed a customer with a roller cage. She demanded the colleague to be sacked. Got £20 gift card to STFU.

Those roller cages hurt like ***** when you accidentally roll them into a colleague's heel from behind. ;)
I never hit a customer when I worked in a supermarket in my teens but had some very near misses when dragging them too fast.

Very rarely do you see a fit supermarket worker (IMO)

Plus it seems like the uniforms are basically designed to de-sexualise people (probably not a bad thing)
When customers see myself and other colleagues in normal clothing, they comment how slim we are. They don't realise that we need to put about 4 layers on the top half to keep us warm. Loved wearing Xmas jumpers in Dec as that was much warmer than polyester uniforms. But we wanted October, November, January, February, March and April jumpers

Those roller cages hurt like ***** when you accidentally roll them into a colleague's heel from behind. ;)
I never hit a customer when I worked in a supermarket in my teens but had some very near misses when dragging them too fast.
I had a roller of heavy things - laundry products and pet food and one of the wheels fell off whilst I was moving it. I stepped back as I didn't want about 500kg of stock and roller cage land on my foot. Especially when I had holiday two weeks later.

The worst things are the Hovis bread dolly wheels. Allied (Kingsmill, Allisons) and Warbies use plastic dollies

I had a roller of heavy things - laundry products and pet food and one of the wheels fell off whilst I was moving it. I stepped back as I didn't want about 500kg of stock and roller cage land on my foot. Especially when I had holiday two weeks later.

The worst things are the Hovis bread dolly wheels. Allied (Kingsmill, Allisons) and Warbies use plastic dollies

Guys used to do pet food, washing powder and drinks as they were the heavier ones. Women got toilet rolls and cereal!

I'm leaving the world of retail for good on Tuesday. Going on holiday in under a week's time and on annual leave for a fortnight. Don't want to work in retail again, but ok with head office, store support centres, distribution centre admin.

As much as I take the mick, I hope you find a great and fulfilling job and will miss your crazy retail stories <3

As @Megahurtz400 says, hope it all works out well. Retail is soul destroying, I did it for two months and jacked it in for fear of ending up on the front page of the Daily Mail covered in blood.

As @Megahurtz400 says, hope it all works out well. Retail is soul destroying, I did it for two months and jacked it in for fear of ending up on the front page of the Daily Mail covered in blood.
I stuck it for about two weeks before I quit and most of that was before the store officially opened after it did I lasted about two days with a vow never to go near anything like it again, a promise I've happily kept.

I stuck it for about two weeks before I quit and most of that was before the store officially opened after it did I lasted about two days with a vow never to go near anything like it again, a promise I've happily kept.
Y'all both n00bs. I managed 3 days, 2 of which was training. I only found out on my first shift what my actual job was (block and face 9hrs a day). Washed, ironed and handed my gear in the next day.

Haha reminds me of skateboarding
Indeed, so much road rash back in the day. It really is amazing how such a tiny piece of plastic can stop, not just a cage, but a complete hospital bed dead in it's tracks. And when that bed contains a vented crit. care patient and all the kit keeping them alive it's definitely squeaky bum time.

Last edited:
I had an incident with an automatic door closing on my wrist in the CO-OP store at the Kyle of Localsh a couple of weeks ago. My wrist stung like hell. I didn't complain-partially because of the shock. That being said, I did warn some of the other customers going through it to be carefull.

Congrats on the new job dude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom