• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you ever replace your aio?

Soldato
You'll be looking at combinations of old reviews, open bench, pre applied TIM on aio, no cut out on top or at front of case for rad, aio running in balanced not custom, cpu not pushing the cooler, GPU not running at the same time, fans upgraded on air and not rad like you say and so on. Air is cheaper and easier to live with. It won't perform as well as the latest 280 like the XT from corsair if it's well setup. Ram clearance is also an issue on air and if it's avoidable, case clearance can then become an issue from the fan height.

Fitting an aio to the front of the case with a solid panel in front of it in silent mode with it's pre applied TIM is completely different to fitting one in the top of the case or front of the case with a fully meshed panel with custom fan speed and your own TIM. You may as well be using a different cooler. These variations don't exist with air. Lots of cases don't have large meshed panels for rads. In turn, these aios can't push/pull the air properly.

Everything you described can be applied to air cooling. Not all cases are the same, some are too restrictive etc. Loads of different mount, TIM, fan options for Air as well.... I stand by what I said, the best air is better than the best AIO in terms of performance (by single digit %, so not much). Custom loops eclipse both of them. Not much more to it than this.

Caporegime
Why are people so tribal about this? I honestly couldn't give a toss myself.

I buy AIO's because I find them convenient, neater, easier to install, etc.

From my own experience I can tell you for certain that a 240 is better than a cheap air cooler.

I can't say if it's better than an expensive air cooler or not because I've not tested them back to back, but if an expensive air cooler performs better, I don't care. I'd still buy the AIO for the reasons I mentioned.

I wouldn't spend £120 etc on an AIO, that's ludicrous, my last two 240's were both under £60.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why are people so tribal about this? I honestly couldn't give a toss myself.

I buy AIO's because I find them convenient, neater, easier to install, etc.

From my own experience I can tell you for certain that a 240 is better than a cheap air cooler.

I can't say if it's better than an expensive air cooler or not because I've not tested them back to back, but if an expensive air cooler performs better, I don't care. I'd still buy the AIO for the reasons I mentioned.

I wouldn't spend £120 etc on an AIO, that's ludicrous, my last two 240's were both under £60.

That was my main reason. Neater and quieter. Plus they're so easy to pop off for new TIM. However, for the next upgrade I'll go for the real thing so it has thick tubes, fast flow and reservoirs.

Soldato
Everything you described can be applied to air cooling. Not all cases are the same, some are too restrictive etc. Loads of different mount, TIM, fan options for Air as well.... I stand by what I said, the best air is better than the best AIO in terms of performance (by single digit %, so not much). Custom loops eclipse both of them. Not much more to it than this.

If you think the same restrictions apply to air I'm out. There's almost always a rear exhaust fan right behind the cooler. Some older reviews used the pre applied TIM vs some of the best off the shelf - makes the test pointless.

@Acme it's in response to something not true, I've always used air. Next people will be saying those original d15 look good and parts are avaliable right from gpus, to mobos to match one.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h115i_rgb_pro_xt_liquid_cooler_review,12.html

Latest 280 xt beating the d15. The latest 240 xt is pretty much equal. It's also quieter under load.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I have a H105 on my 5930K, got it for a 4790 CPU so had it a long time, might be 5+ years.

I sometimes wonder... how smelly the fluid will be? cutting them open after 5 - 10 years. Or what other lovely stuff is hidden away built up in them?

Man of Honour
Doesn't owe you anything, that's for sure.

Pump failure?
Haha yeah totally. Done its fair share of work over the years
pump failure (probably) or lack of coolant. The pump was burning up and silent when I saw my temps skyrocketing

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The fluid inside AIO's can and often does slowly permeate into the tubes reducing the levels, that will affect temperatures. 5 to 7 years is not too soon for low fluids inside AIO's, my NZXT packed up after 5 years, i opened it up to look inside... it ground the bearings down into a pulp that blocked the micro fins, it did this because the bump was running intermittently semi dry from low fluid levels.

I understand reduction in performance due to reduced fluid mass, but I'm wondering how the pump gets to run semi-dry? Would I be correct in thinking radiator placement plays a major part here? I assume a radiator located at the top of a case will never let a pump run dry unless you lost almost all the fluid, which seems unlikely to me... for example, Arctic Liquid II 280 holds ~250ml of fluid... I would be surprised if an AIO lost >200ml.

Associate
I sometimes wonder... how smelly the fluid will be? cutting them open after 5 - 10 years. Or what other lovely stuff is hidden away built up in them?

I was cracking up watching this earlier, what if you left one for say 3 million years? Could it evolve into some sort of Lagoon Monster?

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Nice thread, I have an upgrade on the horizon so i think it's time to see what my temps are to make sure my aio is to the job of a new ryzen.

Soldato
Used an aio in my last 3 builds but always changed them. My h110 has been going for 3 years and I can't see me upgrading for another 2 or 3 years. Think I will go back to air coolers as I find I'm not upgrading as often any more.

Man of Honour
The bearing will fail. It's a matter of time. Also depends on how you run your system. Mine for example runs 24/7.

Your H100 also hasn't had fluid loss presumably. So you probably haven't had the total number of hours people are talking about in this thread.

I use it a fair bit and it’s done a fair few 24/7 runs. It worked well for an overclocked 4770k and is lovely and quiet on my stock 9700k. Temps all seem fine. I’ve more than had my monies worth from it. I’ve got an air cooler to hand if it breaks at any point.

Soldato
I was thinking of getting a nzxt kraken for my setup at 5.1 GHz one of the cores in the 60 all the rest sit 45 two cores hit 90 when playing doom 2016 its been repasted couple of times will these new aio drop my temps use think .

Soldato

There will be nothing hidden in side unless there is an engineering fault like those enermax AIOs.

Haven't heard anyone complaint about Asetek AIO's which 95% of the market is.

Soldato
Was happy running my h110i until the pump broke, had to drive to ocuk and get a dh15, corsair sent me a h115i replacement but the dh15 is better and won't bork

Replaced a h50 or something from years ago to be safe to in 3rd comp with a Arctic duo esports thingy, metal and fan from now on, less failure poins, cba custom water cooling, too much faff

Associate
Has anyone refilled their AIO after 5-8 years of use? How do AIO people know when it's time to swap out or refill? I'm only on a 8 core Ryzen 1700, so a Noctua u14 does a very good job, but i suppose AIO makes a lot of sense if you're going 12/16 core.

Soldato
Has anyone refilled their AIO after 5-8 years of use? How do AIO people know when it's time to swap out or refill? I'm only on a 8 core Ryzen 1700, so a Noctua u14 does a very good job, but i suppose AIO makes a lot of sense if you're going 12/16 core.

They are not meant to be refilled, its a closed loop solution.

Back
Top Bottom