Do you trust the mainstream media?

Soldato
I haven't found anything related to immigration other than a position against ICE, which does not imply "open borders" or whatever it is that you read on Brietbart regarding her position.

What I did find was:
Medicare For All - almost all advanced economies do this
Increasing minimum wage to $15 - almost all advanced economies have this
Reforming campaign finance laws - reasonable, given the weight of big money in the US
Guaranteeing affordable housing as a human right - both Britain and Germany have extensive legislation on this matter and the trend is in the same direction
All public colleges tuition-free - Germany does this, Britain does it partially with cheap loans that sometimes never get repaid

So what exactly is so radical about her positions?

Here's her website

Caporegime
OP
Thanks Caracas ^^^^^ VincentHanna read it before you get too defensive of her.

Yes, after Time magazine published the photo it turned out to be a lie.

That one thing doesn't make everything else a lie...

They didn't bother to ask the ICE officer what actually happened? or bother to speak with the woman before publishing that garbage?

They didn't do any basic fact checking?

Right.

Caporegime
The photo was highlighting the issue of ICE forcably removing children from their families, based on Trumps policy.

You surely can't deny that was actually happening? You just seem to be deflecting about one particular child.

Would it have made a difference if they drew a cartoon front cover?

Soldato
The photo was highlighting the issue of ICE forcably removing children from their families, based on Trumps policy.

You surely can't deny that was actually happening? You just seem to be deflecting about one particular child.

The editor in chiefs cnn performance showed they were more concerned with the narrative rather then actually presenting the truth. Whatever the truths may be they showed themselves to be a totally unreliable, partisan source of proganda.

Caporegime
OP

No, it doesn't, the child was never separated from the mother, unless what you are talking about is the few seconds as the child was placed on the floor so the mother could get into the vehicle? are you serious?

And why is it Trumps policy? what about this? http://uk.businessinsider.com/migrant-children-in-cages-2014-photos-explained-2018-5

Do you remember this? this was blamed on Trump, turns out it was Obama that did this.

Jw1pdBl.jpg.png

How evil is Obama VincentHanna?

Did you also know Trump tried to get this policy overturned by Congress, democrats congress and they refused, Trump had to make it an executive order to stop it from happening.

Anyway, i'm off for some dinner :)

Caporegime
No, it doesn't, the child was never separated from the mother, unless what you are talking about is the few seconds as the child was placed on the floor so the mother could get into the vehicle? are you serious?

The photo highlights the whole policy, not this one specific child

Did you also know Trump tried to get this policy overturned by Congress, democrats congress and they refused, Trump had to make it an executive order to stop it from happening.

The fact you swallowed that total BS is all I need to know about you not believing the mainstream media.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ats-while-dhs-chief-defends-family-separation

Caporegime
OP
The fact you swallowed that total BS is all I need to know about you not believing the mainstream media.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ats-while-dhs-chief-defends-family-separation

There is no law requiring children to be taken from parents apprehended after unlawfully crossing the border. The Trump administration adopted the policy in April and could stop it at any time. Neither Democrat Barack Obama nor Republican George W. Bush followed the practice during their presidencies.

Again this is why there is no trust in mainstream media, i'll break this ^^^ down into what it actually means.

There is no law requiring children to be taken from parents apprehended after unlawfully crossing the border.

As this is worded it is absolutely correct, yet as an answer to a question it proposes to answer its misleading, its a play on wording.
So here is the difference between word play and fact. There is a law that requires children to be removed from their parents if they are arrested for breaking the law, illegally crossing the boarder is deemed a criminal offence and parents are arrested for it thus their children are removed from them during this process.
Trump changed that to make exceptions for illegal immigrants.

The Trump administration adopted the policy in April and could stop it at any time. Neither Democrat Barack Obama nor Republican George W. Bush followed the practice during their presidencies.

That line is just a bare faced lie, those initial images used against Trump are of children in cages separated from parents at the boarder during Obama's administration.

Commissario
Erm Humbug IIRC illegally crossing the boarder used to be a misdemeaner (I think is the term), not a "criminal" offence under US law.

Think the difference between a parking ticket and dangerous driving.

The previous administrations did not routinely seperate children from their parents, and when they did it was usually until relationships were confirmed and proper records were kept.
Under Trump they're doing it as a deliberate attempt to put people off trying to claim asylum (under US law they have to do that either inside the US or at the checkpoint, at least along the Mexico boarder), and they have then been destroying the initial records of which children where with which adults in hundreds of cases, which means that it's a major, ir not near impossible task to reunite them.

This isn't some MSM propeganda, this is what is Trump himself has said (that breaking up the familieis is to scare people off), and what is turning up in court cases.

Caporegime
they have then been destroying the initial records of which children where with which adults in hundreds of cases, which means that it's a major, ir not near impossible task to reunite them.

Got a source for that seems an unusual step to take

Soldato
The news can only be trusted to report news on mundane events, anything else has an agenda and has turned into an opinion piece, especially by the fake news CNN and Fox News.

I think it's only sensible that if you want news, that you read all sources, that said, I been using Japanese news sources more, they by law are not allowed to give opinions, they must report the news as it is.

Caporegime
they have then been destroying the initial records of which children where with which adults in hundreds of cases, which means that it's a major, ir not near impossible task to reunite them.

Got a source for that seems an unusual step to take

Caporegime
OP
Erm Humbug IIRC illegally crossing the boarder used to be a misdemeaner (I think is the term), not a "criminal" offence under US law.

Think the difference between a parking ticket and dangerous driving.

The previous administrations did not routinely seperate children from their parents, and when they did it was usually until relationships were confirmed and proper records were kept.
Under Trump they're doing it as a deliberate attempt to put people off trying to claim asylum (under US law they have to do that either inside the US or at the checkpoint, at least along the Mexico boarder), and they have then been destroying the initial records of which children where with which adults in hundreds of cases, which means that it's a major, ir not near impossible task to reunite them.

This isn't some MSM propeganda, this is what is Trump himself has said (that breaking up the familieis is to scare people off), and what is turning up in court cases.

No child should be separated from their parents let alone locked up in cages, but to suggest let alone say no one but Trump did this is a lie.

We should have a debate about how we treat immigrants, in this country too, blaming it entirely on your opposition while trying to white wash your own is nothing more than trying to maintain higher political ground than your opposition and does nothing more than turn people off to a debate that needs to be had, and yes when the media do this it is a deliberate partisan lie on their part.

That Time cover is also a lie.

Associate
Soldato
If we need another example of the media agenda, we know the UK media had the Brexit white paper since morning (before opposition MP's saw it) so presumably they could write their headlines.

But instead of focusing on the big issue of this era for BRITISH people we have near 100% focus on the Trump visit!

The trivialising of the issues of our day.

Soldato
i don't trust any individual source, i preferr to look at multiple sources and pick up on the common themes.

it's like on forum threads, with everyone arguing their side it's possible to pick up the truth through the holes in the lies.

Soldato
Define "Mainstream media".

Do I trust the Sun/Express/Daily Mail - barely, there is usually some element of truth buried deep beneath layers of effluent and opinion, but you need to be pretty good at working out what is opinion and hyperbole to get to it. Always check with other sources.

Do I trust the Guardian/Telegraph - Yes to a much higher degree, they're usually at least trying to be factual and do a far better job of checking things are correct for the most part (if not running a spellcheck in the Grunard), but I bare in mind that they have strong political opinions/slants.

Do I trust Sky/BBC - yes to a fairly high degree, both are required by law and regulation to be factual and at least try and give both sides of most viewpoints as part of their broadcast licence - I tend to trust the BBC a bit more than Sky mainly because the BBC tends to be a little more careful in fact checking and in less of a rush to break news..
Do I trust RT - about the same level as the Sun, their editorial policy is direct from the Kremlin which means for anything with a political bent they're on dodyg as heck ground.
Do I trus t Al'Jazeera - to a reasonable degree, again baring in mind possible leanings towards certain viewpoints.
Do I trust Fox - not at all, they're the Sun of the broadcast news (sorry Entertainment, must remember they argued that in the US, they're Entertainment, not news).

Ideally you should get your news from at least two different sources, preferably ones that have a history of reliability.

In short it varies, but I don't automatically discount "MSM" or assume that alternative sources are more accurate, non MSM news sources can be accurate, but they are highly varied from Alex Jones up, and often require a lot of fact checking.

This sounds about right.
Just quote the Mark Twain, and always remember it.

Those who do not read newspapers are uninfomed.
Those who do read newspapers are misinformed.

Take every with a good degree of temperance.
Form your own view.

Back
Top Bottom