Doctor Who

Soldato
I like JW in the role, but think the character should calm down a bit because at the moment it's like David Tennant on coffee.

I don't know why every doctor has to run around like a crazy person all the time, running from place to place and exaggerating every action and barely pausing for breath in dialogue.

It's nice and fun to have moments like this but not all the time. Kind of feels like a cbbc space adventure - don't slow down or the audience might get bored.

And while Bradley Walsh is good, it's difficult to take his character seriously due to The Chase. Kind of like watching Kevin Bacon in anything now just makes you think of EE (that xmen film was terrible for this - thought he was about so do a mobile phone ad every scene).

Anyway has potential.

Soldato
They have the entire universe at their disposal and a timeship in which to explore said entire universe, so where do they end up next - Montgomery, Alabama in the 50s with Rosa Parks. Yep, no agenda at the BBC at all.

Man of Honour
They have the entire universe at their disposal and a timeship in which to explore said entire universe, so where do they end up next - Montgomery, Alabama in the 50s with Rosa Parks. Yep, no agenda at the BBC at all.

Now now, lets not be cynical, I'm sure that racism and equal rights will not be bluntly shoved in our faces......would it?.

Soldato
they're in good company Quantum leap had btdt too (good series) -
“The Color Of Truth” (season one, episode seven): Quickly recognizing that the show could be more than just a fun romp through America’s recent history, the creative team used the seventh episode of the show’s abbreviated first season to explore racism in ’50s Alabama when Sam leaps into the body of Jesse Tyler, the aging black chauffeur to the widow of a former governor. There’s a potentially patronizing subtext here in the idea that a well-meaning white man from the future has to control the body of a black man in order to effect social change, but the episode carefully works around this by never forgetting the larger social context, including an acknowledgment that Rosa Parks’ earth-shattering act of defiance will occur less than six months from when the episode is set.

Caporegime

What is wrong with that? It's been a staple of Doctor Who since the relaunch that they travel back and meet famous people.

Associate
Because this time it's a black woman. As you said, it's hardily a new thing in Doctor Who. Hell it's pretty much the staple of any time travel show.

When it was Churchill? No problem. Queen Elizabeth? No issue. Shakespeare? Nary an eyelid battered. Van Gogh? Fantastic episode, no-one has fault with that one. Dickens? Fine. Nixon, Queen Victoria, Madame De Pompadour? Nope, no issue with any of them.

Now oddly enough, people who never said a word about those are coming out of the woodwork and think the BBC are the ones showing an agenda.

Commissario
Because this time it's a black woman. As you said, it's hardily a new thing in Doctor Who. Hell it's pretty much the staple of any time travel show.

When it was Churchill? No problem. Queen Elizabeth? No issue. Shakespeare? Nary an eyelid battered. Van Gogh? Fantastic episode, no-one has fault with that one. Dickens? Fine. Nixon, Queen Victoria, Madame De Pompadour? Nope, no issue with any of them.

Now oddly enough, people who never said a word about those are coming out of the woodwork and think the BBC are the ones showing an agenda.
IIRC the meeting historical figures thing was big back in the early days of Who, going back 50+ years :)
I think one of the ways that they got it ok'd in the first place was by having the historical elements (which included major figures as well as events), as major parts of the stories, and thus could be classed as having some educational benefit.
It was in the later pre reluanch series that they dropped a lot of them, then as you say brought them back for some of the New Who series.

Soldato
if the BBC were astute they would have included an easter egg 'taking the knee', still,
maybe they will include something more sensitive like Alan Turing next time.

Soldato

I think had they done this at any point in the last 10 seasons, no one would have batted an eyelid.
But now it's happening at the same time they're already cramming diversity down everyone's throats in every single scene, it seems much more magnified and part of their PC agenda.

Caporegime
Well as long as we don't start getting too many, slavery, east india company, oppression episodes I think it will be fine.
Although i think deeply whiteguilt, pc crap is on the cards. Deffo going to be a male guilt episode soon.

I like her but I think she doesn't hold a super screen presence. She seems about as Important as the companions. They need to give her one of them Dr. Vs 100 dalek speech moments.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
10 mins in and already the sonic screwdriver has been whipped out 4 times. Funnily enough, its not JW that bugs me, its not the story which bugs me, its the constant swiss army screwdriver.

Edit, make that 5 times.

Back
Top Bottom