Doctor Who

Soldato
I really enjoyed it .good pace really nice visuals and again Jodie was brilliant.

Opening credits and theme are spot on, very 70s Who.

Also the new TARDIS looks utterly awesome, very dark and moody.

Soldato
completely forgot it was on just caught up on it and must say enjoyed it very much, much better than the first episode. Jodie also very good on this one! Could see traits from a couple of doctors too.

Can’t say I like the idea but she is slowly turning on me.

Credits and tardis look amazing very traditional looking and sounding.

Commissario
OP
The snare seems to have been toned down a bit since last week and was it my imagination or has the TARDIS shape changed a bit as well? It looks more slender and back to how it used to be. Is this the BBC concentrating on making things look and sound more traditional to distract from the enforced diversity?

Soldato
It's not the BBC but the show runner that has put in the changes.

Yes the Police Box exterior has changed a bit.

Stopped with this perceived diversity crap. They've picked the actors they wanted for the roles it's nothing to do with their age, race, sex or otherwise.

Soldato
Taken from the BBC's own diversity rules web-page (Highlighting is mine)
"The BBC diversity and inclusion strategy sets targets to ensure that diversity is hardwired into everything that we do."
Translation = We have to choose actors based on skin colour/religion/ethnic background/sex etc etc... and not acting ability or suitability for the role.

Still.... episode wasn't bad.
Intro and TARDIS interior are pretty great too.
Add that to the increased VFX and apparent cinematography budget increase and I do feel a pang of sadness to think what Capaldi might have done with it given the chance :D

Soldato
It was slightly better than the opening episode but the setting had a vague nagging familiarity about it, can't put my finger on the source. Mad Max, Maze Runner type of apocalyptic landscape.

Still had to hit their diversity quota in the guest cast with Art Malik who is, of course, a fine actor.

Verdict still out on Jodie. The manic, "ooohh isn't this luverly" bubbliness might have worked in Ep 1 while regenerating, but needs to be toned down to a more authoritative and level headed 1000's yo time lord. Obviously to some extent she has to work with the script she has been given, so even if they had cast someone like Sean Bean in the role, might still struggle with the writing.

Soldato
Add that to the increased VFX and apparent cinematography budget increase and I do feel a pang of sadness to think what Capaldi might have done with it given the chance
how much are the episodes costing then, in comparison to got $7mill per episode ? cannot find it on the web
the vfx still look slightly amateurish though, with the blending of alien artefacts, special effects, younger audience are probably less discerning,
but they have to be careful they do not look like video games.
the anamorphic lenses, as reported, do give a more initimate feel eg. like the original blade runner (not sure if Raymond shoots food with them?)

Soldato
I liked episode 2. Jodie is great so far I have to admit. There wasn't much Doctor zaniness this episode and I hope it stays that way or goes away entirely at the least for 1 Doctor cycle. It's the main thing that I dislike about Doctor Who, behaving like Tom Cruise on Oprah.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
It was ok.

Art Malik was wasted in the roll or maybe he just wasn't on form but something wasn't right, he added nothing to the roll that a no name actor couldn't have brought.

Will keep watching but so far it isn't blowing my socks off, saying that though i thought the series before was a bit boring.

Soldato
Just disappointed now, just feels like it can't make it's mind up what it wants to be. I thought the shift in broadcast time to a slightly later more prominent slot, hinted at it being slightly darker and adult. This episode felt like it was just a frenetic kids program, with all the characters running from one scene to the next, that would have be better suited to traditional Saturday morning kids slot. I like Jodie Whittaker, but hell's bell's do they need to wind back her dialog a notch or two. Feels like we are all already setting the "Stenza" up to be the end of series boss to be defeated.

Episode 1 - 7.5/10
Episode 2 - 3.5/10

Commissario
OP
This is not a specific criticism of the current series of Doctor Who but of one particular item.

The bloody Sonic Screwdriver.

From what I remember, it was scrapped from the original series because it had become a get-out-of-jail-free card and I really feel it's become that again. It's crazily over used now and I just wish it could be thrown away and forgotten about.

Don
This is not a specific criticism of the current series of Doctor Who but of one particular item.

The bloody Sonic Screwdriver.

From what I remember, it was scrapped from the original series because it had become a get-out-of-jail-free card and I really feel it's become that again. It's crazily over used now and I just wish it could be thrown away and forgotten about.

I think they have realised that to some degree though - there have been a few instances where the Doctor has tried using the screwdriver only for alien/door/tech to be "immune" (thus forcing an overly elaborate alternative plan)

Soldato
I thought the shift in broadcast time to a slightly later more prominent slot, hinted at it being slightly darker and adult.
apparently is was just a cynical want better viewing figures with a stable viewing slot, vs the saturday slot that got kicked around a lot,
[supposedly BBC are 'experimenting' with release strategy whole-series vs weekly too ( killing-eve/bodyguard ) so they could do that for who too]

Permabanned
Quite liked these first 2 episodes.

Been a floating Who fan for a while now but it's always managed to keep me at a safe distance from becoming an obsessive one.

It's weird to be impressed by it's production design now and the OST seems to be spot on, but the acting is always that little too shoddy and it's tone too indecisive for me to think this new series is going to be a departure from tradition in any way. Tosin Cole is one of the worst actors I've seen given major TV time in quite a while and the rest of the supporting cast aren't that much better. I don't think trying to meet a diversity quota is a bad thing by any means, but at least TRY and find actors who can work the craft properly otherwise you're just handing ammo to the **** that think it's a bad thing.

Like I say, I did enjoy it overall and I'll be there every Sunday but man, it's always so close to being something special but they never quite seem to nail it :/

Back
Top Bottom