Doctor Who

Man of Honour
I've been watching a few old episodes recently. Tom Baker (my doctor from my childhood), Tennant 10th, John Hurt, Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi. All of them excellent and watchable even if some of the stories weren't the best. Matt Smith surprised me when I first watched him (when he originally aired). I didn't expect to like him but he was up there as possibly the best for me... or at least on a par with the others. Again, Capaldi was superb despite the stories.

It's such a shame what has happened since.

Last edited:
I don't mind a one-off / occasional musical in science fiction. Star Trek already got mentioned. There's also Red Dwarf where the characters have performed once or twice with Holly on-screen floating in the background.

As for favourite doctors, mine is Christopher Eccleston.

Associate
That's my issue with it. In theory 14 at his death should regenerate, but in a different set of circumstances would it still be Gatwa or a different face? And now there's a second Doctor, a second TARDIS, you've now forever got the problem of explaining where the other one is in a universe shaking event (baring in mind the usual "you can't intersect your own timeline" excuses don't hold true there) .

I really fear Disney will push the BBC (and don't give me that they don't have any influence stuff, it's all over these specials) to push the "In case of emergency - Tennant" button at the first sign of issue and delegitimise however far into 15, hell even 16 or 17s tenue we are to go back to 14.

Soldato
The ending seemed a bit strange to me, it's like they were keeping one foot in "Bring back Tennant if necessary" and the other foot was in the Indiana Jones "Shut up old man! You're old news!" That obnoxiously wrecks franchises.

Associate
My cynical side says if this isn't an outright in case of emergency button it's a Disney "suggestion" to have a TV doctor the BBC control, and a Disney+ one.

Soldato
Yes - so they get the less charismatic reincarnation of Eddie Murphy and we get to keep Tennant - episode had elements of Kingsman mind control

I think ze Germans should feel hard done by.

Soldato
Yes - so they get the less charismatic reincarnation of Eddie Murphy and we get to keep Tennant - episode had elements of Kingsman mind control

I think Ncuti will be a fantastic doctor. From what we've seen and the Christmas trailer.

Why refer to him as Eddie Murphy? Is it because he is black and happens to have a mustache?

Associate

If my cynical thoughts are right, you think we're the ones keeping the international star whose already beloved for this role as opposed to the guys who is basically unknown unless you watched one random netflix series (that admitedlly he was excellent in) ?

Soldato
I think one tv fast food series - sex education - AI engineered/manufactured for Gen riz doesn't make a summer -
I think that series is probably the antithesis of programmes like strictly for the over 60's , which I've not seen either, just read about (kinda like not needing to try smoking)

Soldato
Liked the episode until the "regeneration" just so stupid.
Always going to have to explain why 14 is not helping with a crisis

Ncuti is going to be very over the top and stereotypical. Could just see it in his performance. Will give it a few episodes but will depend on how Ncuti's doctor portrays himself.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
ROFL, this had RTD written all over it, the musical scene we've had tonnes of those going back to 2005.

I thought overall as RTD episodes these three were...weak? Still about a billion times better than we've had since he left but nowhere close to his best.

I like the new chap though, seems an interesting change.

Associate
As others have said, a marked improvement over what we had previously. I certainly liked this episode enough.

Only, there was one minor niggle that kept nagging at me: Wilf shooting moles? The man who never fired a gun? That seemed (to me) to be a disservice to Wilfs character. Whilst yes, things could have changed since we last saw them, that just seemed such an important defining characteristic of Wilf's character previously, to have been altered for "fun" in their old age. But, that's just me. I can accept it still, but it still nags at me.

Back
Top Bottom