Doctor Who

Mobster
Soldato
Depends on the cliches / tropes included.

Captain Jack was probably the gayest man to ever gay.

What about a black companion? Martha Jones.

Let's face it, Doctor Who now is no more "woke" than it ever has been, the word didn't even exist in 2005 before it was captured by nutjobs. It now means nothing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is that black dude the next Dr Who?
He done anything else?
Is he funny, serious, tech savvy? Hes got an accent is he really from Rwanda?

edit ok he is scottish? :p lol another one!

Last edited:
Soldato

Let's face it, Doctor Who now is no more "woke" than it ever has been, the word didn't even exist in 2005 before it was captured by nutjobs. It now means nothing.
The first of this 3 ep reboot was filled with horrible one liners, that's what people mean really. Not that someone is gay..

Soldato
Is that black dude the next Dr Who?
He done anything else?
Is he funny, serious, tech savvy? Hes got an accent is he really from Rwanda?

edit ok he is scottish? :p lol another one!
He can be all of those when he needs too. Good thing about acting. Lol.

Yes born in Rwanda but came to Scotland age 2. He has a better Scottish accent than me

Soldato
Last night was the best of the three episodes.

BBC/Disney opening the talent purse a bit to bring in NPH as the bad guy.

So far as the new doctor is concerned, if he can fit into the role fair enough, but just hope he doesn't turn into a male Jodie (hyper) or a clone of Sylvester McCoy who pretty much killed it last time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched second and third of the 60th anniversary episodes after hating the virtue signalling first effort. Pretty decent to be fair and redeems the mess of the Space Beast one.

Soldato

Citing Captain Jack as some beacon of representation given that the actor that played him turned out to be another BBC perv who slipped through the HR screening net probably doesn't help your case.

The word 'woke' has a very clear meaning these days - its certainly not niche or owned by nut jobs lol.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The word 'woke' has a very clear meaning these days - its certainly not niche or owned by nut jobs lol.

It really doesn't. Or, at least, no-one yet has given me a hard-and-fast idea of what it is. As far as I can tell, woke when used as a pejorative is simply what the person saying it is against? But without quite explaining why?

Soldato
It really doesn't. Or, at least, no-one yet has given me a hard-and-fast idea of what it is. As far as I can tell, woke when used as a pejorative is simply what the person saying it is against? But without quite explaining why?
Exactly. If someone doesn't agree with or like something they just throw the word woke at it. It's a pointless word now. Lost all of its original meaning completely.

Soldato

Watch ep 1 and then read through this thread.

Associate
Exactly. If someone doesn't agree with or like something they just throw the word woke at it. It's a pointless word now. Lost all of its original meaning completely.

No it hasn't, it's just developed and had it's meaning adapted, just like language has since time began. Like brand names that become synonymous with the activity they perform, Hoover, Google etc. Woke is not a pointless word it's simply a widely accepted short-hand for heavy-handed DEI.

We all know it means, even if its original meaning has been mostly lost.

Commissario
Mmmmm, i thought the opposite, he seemed quite serious at times.

Thought it was an excellent episode and am pleased to report that NPH was quite awesome in this - i just remember him been dire in Matrix Resurrections.

Musical number: fabulous! Just like Buffy, Scrubs, Strange New Worlds, Doom Patrol etc and other shows that have done a musical episode - this fitted the moment and fitted the character of the Toy Maker. Although NPH can sing - dunno why they had him miming the fricking Spice Girls!

I thought Ncuti with the fairground hammer was brilliant, very clever, "You get a prize honey" - lol. We give DT the happiness he deserves and yes, it seems it isn't the last we'll see of him - yey!

I did roll my eyes at the wheelchair accessible TARDIS, but then thought, "Why not?" - makes sense in this day and age.

I thought we may have seen DT checking in on Rose Tyler, but that may have been too complicated and a final goodbye to DT, so i can see why that never happened, for now.

I hope Ncuti will be a good Doctor, although i did struggle with his accent a bit on some words. I liked his take on DT's "What?" to "What if?". And, The Master!!!
It also makes sense for the Tardis which has been shown repeatedly to basically do what the Doctor/situation needs (if not what the Doctor wants), given the science officer at UNIT, I suspect she's going to be back in the new series. It also ties in with the decor of the new tardis including loads of ramps.

I absolutely loved the bit where the head of unit had a rant about the science officer when she took of her protective device, it so matched what some absolute idiots were saying on social media after she was first introduced "she's not disabled she can move her leg", almost like that reaction was predicted.

I really enjoyed the episode, it had a good mix of fun and creepy.

Last edited:
Soldato
It also makes sense for the Tardis which has been shown repeatedly to basically do what the Doctor/situation needs (if not what the Doctor wants), given the science officer at UNIT, I suspect she's going to be back in the new series. It also ties in with the decor of the new tardis including loads of ramps.

I absolutely loved the bit where the head of unit had a rant about the science officer when she took of her protective device, it so matched what some absolute idiots were saying on social media after she was first introduced "she's not disabled she can move her leg", almost like that reaction was predicted.

I really enjoyed the episode, it had a good mix of fun and creepy.
Yeah I saw all those comments too. A person doesn't need to be crippled or have no legs to need a wheelchair. Some illness and disabilities mean standing and/or walking is very painful or just not possible for long periods. Just shows how dim-witted and uneducated they are.

Mobster
Soldato
Citing Captain Jack as some beacon of representation given that the actor that played him turned out to be another BBC perv who slipped through the HR screening net probably doesn't help your case.

It absolutely does not.

How is being gay on TV "woke"? There have been gay people on TV for years - but that's woke apparently.

"Woke" = something I don't like.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
No it hasn't, it's just developed and had it's meaning adapted, just like language has since time began. Like brand names that become synonymous with the activity they perform, Hoover, Google etc. Woke is not a pointless word it's simply a widely accepted short-hand for heavy-handed DEI.

We all know it means, even if its original meaning has been mostly lost.

There is no one single definition for it, which was my original point. Woke means whatever you want it to mean, nobody can agree = it is pointless.

My Mum is very Tory, she didn't think the trans character was woke - but the Daily Mail does.

Mobster
Soldato
It's interesting now that the word has no virtue signalling value people want it cancelled..

I don't want it cancelled, it just doesn't mean anything.

We've had arguments about what exactly is "woke" about Doctor Who now and nobody can agree. My point is that in 2005 Doctor Who was "politically correct" (today's "woke") and now that isn't woke anymore. In ten years there will be a new word and it will be something else.

I personally don't find having a trans character remotely annoys me, is your point that we shouldn't have trans characters? Or that they shouldn't be on TV? If not, why not? The actor is a good actor, perhaps they were chosen for that?

Soldato
It absolutely does not.

How is being gay on TV "woke"? There have been gay people on TV for years - but that's woke apparently.

"Woke" = something I don't like.
I never said that character was woke - you brought him up.

You are falling back on the tedious woke tactic of trying to stifle debate by suggesting that anyone who complains about wokery is a something-phobic..

Back
Top Bottom