Doctor Who

I don't understand why the sexuality of Dr Who would be important or matter in what is essentially a kid's programme. When I used to watch it back in the 70's - 80's it was not a thing. The programme was about some fantasy sci fi elements mixed with a little horror here and there. Dr Who himself, was just an alien who tried to fix things. I don't recall any political messages or opinions being forced on me. Why cant modern entertainment be like that again instead of preaching extreme left wing politics on kids?

Seems like the new doctor will indeed be queer.

I don't have a problem with this, what I do have a problem with is the forced diversity. Not content with a woman doctor she had to be a lesbian. Now we have a black doctor and he also has to be gay?
Why couldn't he just be a black doctor?

Of course he's gay" why wouldn't be be it's the BBC!

Why couldn't he be just a black Doctor, because that's just enough these days, he has to be a POC and gay because having anyone else is unthinkable and racist and homophobic.

But of course according to some, there's no such thing as forced diversity and Doctor Who isn't woke, even though the whole project is clearly little more than DEI propaganda. It's objectives are clear, and we saw that with the pro-nouns workshop (white male castigated of course) it is to force acceptance of wish-fulfillment in the case of gender, over scientific, evolutionary, and biological facts. Things just are because that's how we want them to be apparantly...

"When you wish a upon a star..."

:cry:

Last edited:
I don't understand why the sexuality of Dr Who would be important or matter in what is essentially a kid's programme. When I used to watch it back in the 70's - 80's it was not a thing. The programme was about some fantasy sci fi elements mixed with a little horror here and there. Dr Who himself, was just an alien who tried to fix things. I don't recall any political messages or opinions being forced on me. Why cant modern entertainment be like that again instead of preaching extreme left wing politics on kids?

I would say it was because you were a child the message just didn't resonate with you for you to pick up [I'm not just saying a sexuality message, but any political message]

All television is affected by and will reflect societal issues of the time, especially Sci-Fi, and Dr Who is no exception.

when I said this whining has been going on a while, I really meant it. In the Spectator archive you’ll find a piece headed “Dr Who’s politics”, which complains of “a growing tendency on the part of the Doctor to moralise tediously about peace, love, and brotherhood”. In one recent episode, it notes, the Doctor had warned of the dangers of glorifying war; in another, his companion had shown “a ludicrous enthusiasm for some ecological cranks in South Wales”. The column is dated 26 May 1973

So the whining about Dr Who being "too woke" is nothing new.

LOL, who is still funding the BBC?

:cry:

I suspect it's only due to the "unique" way the BBC is funded!

ie. pay us for having the ability to watch any broadcast television channel or we'll threaten you with legal action

It's be interesting if the BBC are ever forced to move to a subscription/advertising payment model in future. I guess then we'll find out if the younger more diverse/progressive audience they claim they're producing content for actually exist. Or, more importantly, are willing to pay directly to support the BBC's current poltics and agenda! Because I think it's safe to say they've alienated many of their older viewers.

Last edited:
OK..................

Ncuti actually had some good scenes, but why did he have to procalim every 5 mins that he's the Doctor? I preferred the end scene in the TARDIS where he said, "I'm the Doctor", that moment had a commanding presence and proclaimed he is firmly at the helm - that would have done it for me, didn't need the rest.

Story - bit crap.

Song - liked it!

Companion - prefer one or two companions, and not a 'fam' bleurgh! Ruby seems cool.

Ruby - who's the mum?! Where did Ruby come from? No DNA etc, so going to turn out to be alien, time child etc?

Wokeness - Taxi ride, trans, black and white. Doctor, read above he'll be queer. Sold to Disney+ - guess this is going to be rammed down our throats over the next seasons.

Quite liked Ncuti, shame it was a very weak story to introduce him.

OK..................

Ncuti actually had some good scenes, but why did he have to procalim every 5 mins that he's the Doctor? I preferred the end scene in the TARDIS where he said, "I'm the Doctor", that moment had a commanding presence and proclaimed he is firmly at the helm - that would have done it for me, didn't need the rest.

Story - bit crap.

Song - liked it!

Companion - prefer one or two companions, and not a 'fam' bleurgh! Ruby seems cool.

Ruby - who's the mum?! Where did Ruby come from? No DNA etc, so going to turn out to be alien, time child etc?

Wokeness - Taxi ride, trans, black and white. Doctor, read above he'll be queer. Sold to Disney+ - guess this is going to be rammed down our throats over the next seasons.

Quite liked Ncuti, shame it was a very weak story to introduce him.
I'd hardly say any of that was 'rammed down your throat' most of it was just there and not even talked about or mentioned. So what if there are trans or POC or LGBTQ+ featured. No different to walking down the street and seeing similar people daily. They exist so not a real issue.

Also not sold to Disney. They help fund and distribute it internationally. Russell is the showrunner so it's all down to him.

Why do people use woke so much now for things they just don't like or agree with?

I'd hardly say any of that was 'rammed down your throat' most of it was just there and not even talked about or mentioned. So what if there are trans or POC or LGBTQ+ featured. No different to walking down the street and seeing similar people daily. They exist so not a real issue.

Also not sold to Disney. They help fund and distribute it internationally. Russell is the showrunner so it's all down to him.

Why do people use woke so much now for things they just don't like or agree with?

OK, bad choice of wording, not rammed down our throats - but it's obvious it's there.

Disney - ah ok, so Disney won't have any input into the stories? They are purely there to distribute?

Woke - it's all about feelings and I feel the BBC are forcing these characters in, much like Star Wars has and which has burned a much loved franchise to the ground.

The trans character was fine as he/she whatever didn't announce to the camera, heeeeeeey I'm trans hehe like Rose. Didn't need to say it as it was obvious as soon as the character appeared, same with Rose.

Ncuti sweaty dancing and a discount glee number? No need for it.

Casually mentioning he was with a man in a previous regen, no, stop. Doesn't matter what the sentence was, that's what it meant.

Have the characters, just don't say anything. Treat it as a normal thing not something to draw attention to.

Because they are not brave enough to say these things make them uncomfortable or that they feel they are just wrong.

It's easier to dress it up as a "checks notes" a Culture War and/or attack/indoctrination on the delicate youth of today.

I don't have a problem with this, what I do have a problem with is the forced diversity. Not content with a woman doctor she had to be a lesbian. Now we have a black doctor and he also has to be gay?
Why couldn't he just be a black doctor?

I mean, you clearly do.

Why is it forced?

Or is your argument here REALLY "I can let a woman and a black fella slide...but they HAVE to be Gay? On no I don't think so...let's leave it at Black for now"

Because if so that's why people think you're homophobic and mock you.

Have you ever considered that things just change, and to quote the late great Rik Mayall you need to accept that if you are to keep your Wisdom.

I want to believe that people like yourself cannot possibly be that myopic about pop culture but you keep surprising me.

Anyway, either way have a good evening.

We all know that there was no chance Ncuti could possibly cast as hetero and maybe with an eye for the ladies, so let's not pretend that's not just an inconsequential choice, or a narrative choice, or that the new new Doctor just happens to be gay.

He has to be black, and he has to be gay, has to be. That's problem and that's what people object to - mandated DEI.

If you can't see that, then that's a you problem.

Last edited:
It's most certainly not our problem. Being gay isn't an issue me me anyway.

There is no mandatory DEI or whatever you suggest
There quite literally is a though. They have a divertity and inclusive plan. Let's not pretend that black/gay/women etc people are not being hired over white men specifically solely because of what they are instead of talent. The person who played Rose was awful, no acting presence at all.

At least Ncuti has experience, but it's a very specific type of experience playing a character in a specific way, which just so fits the narrative.

I don't think there are that many people left who are against gays anymore (percentage wise) people have grown up. But media refuses to treat it as normal, it has to be something special, brave and something to point out which has the opposite effect.

Last edited:
I had to look up what DEI is. Seems like it's the same meaning as EDI, with just the words rearranged.

I don't think it's that relevant that we have someone BAME and/or gay. Let them be casted and give them a chance, and then just get on with the story and enjoy it. So in my mind, the Christmas episode got it about right in that regard even if the story wasn't that great. I didn't see the November special, but I heard on this thread that it went a bit overboard with the trans message. Again it's fine casting someone who is trans, but when it gets drilled in and gets political, then I'll bail.

I had to look up what DEI is. Seems like it's the same meaning as EDI, with just the words rearranged.

I don't think it's that relevant that we have someone BAME and/or gay. Let them be casted and give them a chance, and then just get on with the story and enjoy it. So in my mind, the Christmas episode got it about right in that regard even if the story wasn't that great. I didn't see the November special, but I heard on this thread that it went a bit overboard with the trans message. Again it's fine casting someone who is trans, but when it gets drilled in and gets political, then I'll bail.
The Christmas episode was fine for the most part, the only dig it had was hinting a previous incarnation liked men, which was uncalled for as its never come up before (before 14). There was a trans character in the taxi at the beginning and they didn't focus on it, good. That's how it should be. Story was pants though.

The 1st special was just a trans alagory, where Rose saves the day literally because she's trans and at the same time reminding us how stupid white men are. Pathetic.

Last edited:
There absolutely is mandatory DEI.

But again you don't offer an explination beyond an acronym you knew some would have to Google first.

I feel you hide your true feelings behind a boogeyman that has been created so you don't have to explain how you really feel because, and I'll be the first to admit I am guessing here, but I would be willing to bet isn't defensible.

There was a trans character in the taxi at the beginning and they didn't focus on it, good. That's how it should be.

Wouldn't want a trans character to be the focus. Oh no, no, no, that would be ever so beastly...

Pathetic.

Aye, but I'm not giving up on you folks just yet.

Back
Top Bottom