Does something need to be done about dogs?

is entirely very easy to implement quite a harsh but effective dog control that creates revenue and jobs - the dog catcher come back
but it also stops chav idiots breeding uncontrolled dogs that end up eating some kid or some other persons dog

Neighbours speak of their shock and sadness​

A woman neighbour described the woman who died as a “lovely lady” and a loving mum.
One man said: "I’ve got dogs myself. This is very sad."
And another said: "It’s shocking. I didn’t even know they had dogs."

Sounds like either they just got dogs, or didn't walk them ever? Bit strange.

I know which of my neighbours have dogs, because I also have dogs and we see each other walking them.

Again. Not sure if that reflects on the breed or the type of people getting them. Or maybe both.
I was wondering that, seems a couple of recent high profile maulings have been American Bully XLs. And yet the breed descriptions mention how docile they are.... I think it must be a combination of the type of person that buys one & how they treat / train it (even if it's only a small minority that do actually treat it badly / train it to be aggressive, the breed must appeal to that minority), and the consequences once it does decide to attack. If a sausage dog decides to attack you then you'll get a gash on your ankle. If an American Bully xl decides to attack then you'll get your head ripped off.

I do lean on the side that its largely down to the owner and how they treat/bring up the dog, but there is a breed element that needs to be addressed also.
A big dog carries more risk just by its sheer strength/size compared to the little dogs who wouldn't be able to do much before you physically stop and over power it.

To the people saying owners should be vetted and licensed, what would possible reasons to preclude soneone from a licence be?

Fairly obvious past behavior, if you demonstrate you can't look after a dog then you shouldn't be allowed to keep one in future.

Some breeds, bull terrier types, should simply be phased out/made extinct in the UK. Some large dogs are obviously unsuitable for people living in flats etc..

Breeders need to be regulated/registered, the origin of dogs should be known/traceable, all dogs should be chipped and all owners should be required to carry a license - issue with a dog in a park attacking another dog or people etc.. then the police ought to be able to check the license, check the dog is chipped etc.. and take action if required.

Shouldn't be an issue for good dog owners, will obviously be an issue for irresponsible chav scum who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.

Fairly obvious past behavior, if you demonstrate you can't look after a dog then you shouldn't be allowed to keep one in future.

Some breeds, bull terrier types, should simply be phased out/made extinct in the UK. Some large dogs are obviously unsuitable for people living in flats etc..

Breeders need to be regulated/registered, the origin of dogs should be known/traceable, all dogs should be chipped and all owners should be required to carry a license - issue with a dog in a park attacking another dog or people etc.. then the police ought to be able to check the license, check the dog is chipped etc.. and take action if required.

Shouldn't be an issue for good dog owners, will obviously be an issue for irresponsible chav scum who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.
Just do one with your bull terrier comment. Forcing extinction on an entire breed because of the actions of very few is bloody awful.

Just do one with your bull terrier comment. Forcing extinction on an entire breed because of the actions of very few is bloody awful.

Entirely artificial/man-made breed just as pretty much all domestic dog breeds are, no reason for it to exist... time for a final solution tbh.

If we can artificially create a breed for the purposes of bull baiting, dog fighting etc.. shock horror when they turn out to be dangerous... then we can just as easily exterminate it too. It's not some species that is going extinct, it's not going to have some effect on a fragile ecosystem, it's just getting rid of the main problem for both dog shelters and these dog attacks where people die or are seriously injured.

I think a feasible way to remove dangerous breeds is to make it prohibitively expensive to own one through means of insurance. High risk breed = high premiums, of which any payout from an incident is paid to the families of the people these inappropriate "family pets" ruin the lives of. It won't bring their loved ones back but it'll help them get their life back in to some sort of order.

Prison sentence or steep fines to those owning or even walking one of these abominations without cover and the animal appropriately taken care of.

I do lean on the side that its largely down to the owner and how they treat/bring up the dog, but there is a breed element that needs to be addressed also.
A big dog carries more risk just by its sheer strength/size compared to the little dogs who wouldn't be able to do much before you physically stop and over power it.

It pretty much is exactly this. I'm sure you could find plenty of these "danger" breeds in loving families mixed with young children, and they've never expressed a sign of aggression.

Unfortunately bad owners make bad dogs, just the same as bad parents make bad kids.

You mean make insurance compulsory?

Insurance should be compulsory anyway, and not for the reasons you're looking at. I don't believe anyone should have a pet if they can't afford the bills to care for them. It's completely cruel to let the animal suffer because treatment is expensive.

I don't believe anyone should have a pet if they can't afford the bills to care for them. It's completely cruel to let the animal suffer because treatment is expensive.
Extend this to hooman kids also not just the floofy ones! :p
I've know plenty of big dogs that could rip me apart if they wanted to but they are soft babies due to the way they have been brought up and having good fur parents.
I would be lying if I said I didn't have a hint of fear in me when around them however just because I know what they could do if they wanted. But there is a level of trust involved and its easy to tell from there body language what they going to do. Usually they just want some play time or a cuddle <3

Last edited:
If they're going to make dog insurance compulsory, then something needs to be done about the extortionate amounts vets charge these days.

Absolutely sickened at my bill last week, and she's been insured since I've had her.

My issue with pinning all blame on the owners is its basically a mantra of you are a good owner until its your dog that carries out an attack, and then you could claim to be a good owner, but everyone else would consider you a bad owner because its apparently impossible for a dog to show aggression with good owners. With that said I definitely the owner is a factor though.

Personally I am supportive of restricted breeding reduction methods for these strong bull breeds, increased licensing and compulsory insurance for dog ownership. I think part of training to get a dog owner license should embed into the owner that you can never fully trust a dog no matter how adorable they are to you personally. Remember we hear about the deaths, but not so much about aggression that doesnt result in fatalities/injuries. I think the increased risk factors are around babies which seem to be considered threats by dogs, and when dogs get old at which point health conditions could unpredictably affect their behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom