Does something need to be done about dogs?

No matter the breed, dogs have personalities just like people do, and much of that depends on how well they've been treated as they grew up. My dogs have been loved and cared for and in return give love without aggression in any form. It's all on the owner how they respond to strangers.

See, our boy is the same. However he is incredibly protective. I think part of that is the fact that he was an isolation pup so didn't see others, both dog and human, for quite a while.

I may have missed it so forgive me if this was already covered.. Was there any mention of the breed(s) involved?

Not so much from a "are they a dangerous breed" perspective, but more wandering the size / strength of the dogs.

Walking 8 Chihuahua's is one thing, but 8 medium-to-large breed dogs would be very foolish.

There's no way a person could realistically keep control of such a large pack of dogs.

At least one of the dogs was a dachshund.

Source?

A few articles I've read they've not even mentioned the breed.

Oh your comment was on that woman walking 8 dogs. I think I said in an earlier comment - I'd be surprised if all 8 dogs were involved in that attack.

That's weird because I was a 5 year old child when my parents first got a dog and I am still alive.

And I have since had 4 more dogs that haven't attacked any humans (children or adults)

My 10 year Labrador did once kill a fat pigeon in the garden, perhaps I should have put her down then as she's clearly a cold blooded killer.

But then again I once killed a pigeon with my car, so maybe they should put me down.

Tell that all to the parents of the 4 year old that was just killed by a dog.

Your chances of being killed by a dog, are roughly 0.06 - 1.11 per 10 million population.

To help you understand what that means, where you have 10 million people - roughly 0.06 to 1.11 in every 10 million people will be killed by a dog, plus or minus a small amount.

Citation; https://www.medrxiv.org/content/medrxiv/early/2022/10/15/2022.10.14.22280913.full.pdf

In your tiny mind, what exactly would class as "rare"? 1 in 50 million? 1 in 100 million, billions? :confused:

Those numbers don't add up with the uk population and number of deaths from dog attacks.
They also completely neglect the 100s of thousands of injuries (see my OP).

I somewhat agree, but not on all of it.

Many of the traditional larger pure breeds which have very large muscular heads, particularly the Molosser (mastiff type) Rottweillers, German Shepherds etc have been around a very long time, and in recent times they haven't really been implicated in many attacks or killings at all.

If you look at the data though, there is one big thing that stands out: American Bully XL, the other is people crossbreeding things like Staffordshire Bull Terriers, with larger breeds such as Mastiffs etc, where you end up with something a bit dodgy.

I'm not entirely sure how we deal with it though, we could enact legislation to license them or restrict them in certain situations. The problem is, responsible owners will always tick all the boxes, get the license and insurance etc and never be a problem. It's the owners who don't care - who want to weaponise such animals who will drag the entire breed down with them, when something goes wrong.

So I'm not entirely sure how we deal with it, the government are currently too busy adjusting their squirty flowers and clown-shoes, so I don't expect any ideas will come from them.

Yes they do.

They really don't. We had at least 11 killed by dogs last year and a population of approximately 65m.

You can't use statistics from just one year, as there are always exceptions.

The statistics @Screeeech provided cover a 20-year period and show that in reality, the chances of being killed by a dog are miniscule. Far below things that people happily do on a daily basis.

Well you can as old data isn't necessarily relevant in the face of an increasing population and differing trends in ownership.

Could you summarise?

It's not clear, you mentioned licensing further back - but just saying "there should be licenses" isn't a solution, or really meaningful in any way - it's just an innuendo.

I mean, you're putting a lot of effort into complaining about dogs - and not much else. *shrug*

One can identify a problem without knowing the solution.

You're seemingly saying there isn't a problem, so are you happy to continue to sacrifice children?

Back
Top Bottom