Does something need to be done about illegal/unlicenced/uninsured electric vehicles on our roads (and pavements)

it's crazy the amount of bikes scooters and old people on the roads .. with no insurance... had a guy on a bike fly past me and i was doing 40 no lights no nothing ... now if i had moved and hit him would have been my fault .. i'm on a motorbike btw
they should at least have insurance....
You'd kill cycling overnight if you required insurance. We need to encourage active transport not wipe it out :p

cycling no electric yes .. if they can do the speed it needs insurance imagine a 12 yr old doing 40+mph ?? never could with just legs ..

The point is you cannot insure them even if you wanted to.

There certainly seem to be a fairly large black hole developing in the market between pushbikes and motorbikes.

I think we need to move beyond the current situation where the police essentially seem to deem that these vehicles shouldn’t exist you can’t get insurance etc even if you wanted to use them responsibly.

They are here to stay and the longer the authorities burry their heads in the sand the longer we’ll be waiting for more workable system.

Last edited:
Any motorised vehicle should have insurance to cover injury and damage, even normal cyclists can inflict injury and damage.

it's crazy the amount of bikes scooters and old people on the roads .. with no insurance... had a guy on a bike fly past me and i was doing 40 no lights no nothing ... now if i had moved and hit him would have been my fault .. i'm on a motorbike btw
they should at least have insurance....

If he was on an e-bike capable of doing that speed (with assistance or sole propulsion from a motor) then the law already requires him to have a valid driving license, a number plate, insurance, an MOT and DVSA approval for it.

Any motorised vehicle should have insurance to cover injury and damage, even normal cyclists can inflict injury and damage.

It's all about doing a risk/benefit analysis. A legal pedelec is limited to 15.5 mph (which is a moderate speed for most non-assisted cyclists), thus they are unlikely to do more damage to someone else in an accident than a normal cyclist would. Given that cyclists rarely cause serious injury and death on our roads (to other people) it was decided decades ago that requiring them to get third-party insurance would be unnecessary. Therefore, to require pedelec users to get third-party insurance would simply make them even more financially unattractive than they already are and hence result in more car usage for little benefit.

Just been to pick the wife up from the pub and had an e-scooter riding towards me on my side of the road. These sort of riders really need to be stopped.

So if a person on an electric scooter or bike causes an injury they get away with it?

No. If it was an illegal (not rental) e-scooter or an illegal e-bike (not insured, plated, MOT'd etc) then they would be prosecuted in that case. If it was a cyclist or legal pedelec rider (who was driving dangerously) they would also be prosecuted if they cause an injury to someone else.

In either case, the injured person could also sue the rider in civil court for compensation. Having third-party insurance protects you from the financial consequences if you cause a road accident, but not having it does not allow you to just walk away with no commitment to the victim.

Just been to pick the wife up from the pub and had an e-scooter riding towards me on my side of the road. These sort of riders really need to be stopped.

Agreed.

Sometimes is not the size of the object on the road causing the damage, imagine a push bike not following traffic light and run a red light. A lorry have to do an emergency break or evasive move causing it to hit an on coming traffic and kill a family of 5 in a car..... just because a bike or ebike carry less momentum or kinetic energy the resulting accident could still be fatal.

Has this happened or are you just making up a scenario?
I could make 1000s up for us motorists but they have probably all happened :)

That's not what this is about and you know it, this thread is about idiots on e-bikes, e-scooters, mobility scooters and yes cyclists.
Not the average person that is sensible while using them

Last edited:
That's not what this is about and you know it, this thread is about idiots on e-bikes, e-scooters, mobility scooters and yes cyclists.
Not the average person that is sensible while using them

The point is that the law already bans privately owned e-scooters for usage in public places. It also already requires e-bike riders with >250 watts (continuous output) motors or those capable of motor assistance/sole propulsion above 15.5 mph to be 16+, have at least an AM (CBT) driving license, DVSA vehicle model approval, third-party insurance, MOT and a number plate when used on public roads. The problem is that the current laws regarding these issues are rarely enforced, it is easy for people to buy these road-use illegal/regulated vehicles relatively cheaply and to conceal them at home due to their small size.

The Police are under-manned and obviously have to prioritise which road traffic offences they try to prevent/investigate. The damage that an e-scooter or e-bike which is illegally ridden on the road can do is clearly a lot less than a car/van/lorry/truck can do, so understandably the Police will concentrate on the latter group of vehicles.

If you feel so strongly about it then when you see someone riding an illegal e-scooter or a clearly unrestricted e-bike (not a pedelec) in a public place then make a video of them doing it and follow them home. Give the Police their address and the video and report them for a road traffic offence. If you see someone riding a pedelec, bicycle or rental e-scooter dangerously then you could do the same thing. (For the rental e-scooter you may not need their address as the company who rented them it should have a copy of their driving license on file and it should be able to see where the e-scooter has been ridden via its GPS tracker.)

If you see someone riding dangerously on one of these vehicles, or a bicycle, who causes an accident then you can do a "citizen's arrest" on them and detain them until the Police arrive. (I would not recommend doing a citizen's arrest on someone who is just riding an illegal e-scooter in a public place though, although if he was driving it dangerously and you have video evidence of that then it might be OK. The Police could charge you with "Wasting Police Time", or worse, if you call them out after doing a citizen's arrest on someone for something the Police would not have arrested them for. Also, a citizen's arrest would be far safer legally if you wore a body-cam and filmed it because if you need to defend yourself you would have evidence that you did not assault the arrested person.)

The point is that the law already bans privately owned e-scooters for usage in public places. It also already requires e-bike riders with >250 watts (continuous output) motors or those capable of motor assistance/sole propulsion above 15.5 mph to be 16+, have at least an AM (CBT) driving license, DVSA vehicle model approval, third-party insurance, MOT and a number plate when used on public roads. The problem is that the current laws regarding these issues are rarely enforced, it is easy for people to buy these road-use illegal/regulated vehicles relatively cheaply and to conceal them at home due to their small size.

The Police are under-manned and obviously have to prioritise which road traffic offences they try to prevent/investigate. The damage that an e-scooter or e-bike which is illegally ridden on the road can do is clearly a lot less than a car/van/lorry/truck can do, so understandably the Police will concentrate on the latter group of vehicles.

If you feel so strongly about it then when you see someone riding an illegal e-scooter or a clearly unrestricted e-bike (not a pedelec) in a public place then make a video of them doing it and follow them home. Give the Police their address and the video and report them for a road traffic offence. If you see someone riding a pedelec, bicycle or rental e-scooter dangerously then you could do the same thing. (For the rental e-scooter you may not need their address as the company who rented them it should have a copy of their driving license on file and it should be able to see where the e-scooter has been ridden via its GPS tracker.)

If you see someone riding dangerously on one of these vehicles, or a bicycle, who causes an accident then you can do a "citizen's arrest" on them and detain them until the Police arrive. (I would not recommend doing a citizen's arrest on someone who is just riding an illegal e-scooter in a public place though, although if he was driving it dangerously and you have video evidence of that then it might be OK. The Police could charge you with "Wasting Police Time", or worse, if you call them out after doing a citizen's arrest on someone for something the Police would not have arrested them for. Also, a citizen's arrest would be far safer legally if you wore a body-cam and filmed it because if you need to defend yourself you would have evidence that you did not assault the arrested person.)

or sit behind your PC moaning about the odd eBiker/eScooter doing something wrong without looking at the bigger picture.

I would love to see what would happen if the public took it upon themselves to do the police's job.

Back
Top Bottom