Does something need to be done about illegal/unlicenced/uninsured electric vehicles on our roads (and pavements)

In any case, a regular bike is pretty darn susceptible to pot holes! Hit one on a pushbike at any speed and you're going to have a bad day.

I crawl around the back lanes down here because it's practically suicidal to pick up speed, with the quality of the surfacing being what it is.

They are bad enough in a car, especially when they are mid corner.

Yes, I think police should start to enforce checking and stopping unlicensed electrical vehicles. If unsure of make or modification then like any motorized vehicle take it off the road for testing. People argue that normal bike go faster than 15mph, of course bike can go faster, my BK6 can go 30mph down hill and that is not against the law (within the speed limit of the zone of course).

Interestingly speed limits do not apply to cyclists, only motor vehicles, so horses, even pedestrians can break the speed limits. While there is an offence of dangerous cycling I'm not sure breaking the speed limit would necessarily reach that threshold.

They are not putting a speed limit on ebike, they are putting a speed limits on the power assist once it hit 15mph, there is a big difference between the two. The ebike can go beyond 15mph but it will have to be power by your muscle or gravity. As it hit 15mph the motor will have to shut down to comply with the law or else it needs to be registered as a motorized vehicle instead and requires registration and insurance.

legal ebike = ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’
ebike which does not comply = Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

They are not putting a speed limit on ebike, they are putting a speed limits on the power assist once it hit 15mph, there is a big difference between the two. The ebike can go beyond 15mph but it will have to be power by your muscle or gravity. As it hit 15mph the motor will have to shut down to comply with the law or else it needs to be registered as a motorized vehicle instead and requires registration and insurance.

legal ebike = ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’
ebike which does not comply = Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.
AFAIK, anything that doesn't meet EPAC standards cannot (legally) be ridden. You won't be able to get insurance for it, even if you tried.

Might as well get a proper motorbike then. Petrol or electric.

(The legality of kit-converted e-bikes was a different discussion. They don't seem to be legal even if they're in spec. /shrug)

Interestingly speed limits do not apply to cyclists, only motor vehicles, so horses, even pedestrians can break the speed limits. While there is an offence of dangerous cycling I'm not sure breaking the speed limit would necessarily reach that threshold.

I don't see a problem with a lack of a speed limit for completely motor free transport.

Every so often motor enthusiasts have a whinge that cyclists can get up to anaemic moped speeds but the same cyclist gets robbed blind when gravity and wind is against them. Go a bit high, go very low, cannot be given the same speed rules as a motor vehicle with vastly more potential that is being throttled DOWN all the time to a steady speed.

What about when a cyclist is bombing down a path at 20-25 mph with pedestrians on it and the cyclist is weaving in and out of them (have had this happen numerous times while walking the dog)These riders shouldn't be allowed on paths if they act like the're gods gift to the world then moan like hell if a car is near them.

What about when a cyclist is bombing down a path at 20-25 mph with pedestrians on it and the cyclist is weaving in and out of them (have had this happen numerous times while walking the dog)These riders shouldn't be allowed on paths if they act like the're gods gift to the world then moan like hell if a car is near them.

How many people are killed by cyclists on average in the UK each year? How many cyclists are killed by cars.

That'll probably give you a bit of a clue as to why your post is pretty special.

I used to ride a bike on the road when I was younger and if I had ridden like some of the people I see now the police would have been down on me like a ton of bricks but they get away with it now if they are on the path with pedestrians then they should be riding sensibly not like they are on a mountain side. I made not comment on deaths

How many people are killed by cyclists on average in the UK each year? How many cyclists are killed by cars.

That'll probably give you a bit of a clue as to why your post is pretty special.

This is something I'm always trying to get over to fekllow motorists:

Reported Road Casualties Great Britain
2022 (Only)
Killed 1,695
Serious Injury 28,101
Slight Injury 106,206

Reported Cycle Casualties Great Britain
Between 2012 to 2021
33 deaths (3 a year)
1377 serious injuries (138 a year)

Not really, just stating the obvious. Like anything there is a minority that messes it up for the rest

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about ebikes and scooters not cars, I was just saying what has happened while out walking, cyclists speeding down paths and using pedestrians like slalom gates.

I thought we were talking about ebikes and scooters not cars, I was just saying what has happened while out walking, cyclists speeding down paths and using pedestrians like slalom gates.

It was you that bought up the cars, saying cyclists moan like hell if a car is near them. GreyFox pointed out the numbers of cyclists that are killed or severely injured to illustrate there is good reason for cyclists to moan about cars close passing them. In contrast 2 or 3 pedestrians are killed by cyclists a year, so you trying to draw an equivalence is flawed, hence Dis saying you still dont get it

IMO, cyclists that bomb pass pedestrians are complete nobbers and those that do, dont tend to be riding road bikes but clapped out mountain bikes and they arent likely doing 20-25mph

Last edited:
I did not mention about deaths at all, just what has been an observation by me on my daily walks. Yes they are nobbers but the same person who is riding a bike or scooter like that are the type to moan if someone does the same to them. I have had an e-scooter rider come up behind me on a narrow path and had to wait all of 10secs to pass, as they went past at some speed they were complaining about me. This is all I stated, of course I know cyclists die and are injured by cars but that wasn't what was being highlighted.

Back
Top Bottom